Slippery Plastic Strip

Featured Posts

I am having a new steel slide made for our boat to replace the existing wooden one, and have been told that conventionally these are lined with a sheet of hardwood which slides on the brass covered runners. The slide on our boat is 4ft long, and consequently quite heavy. It runs on blocks of rosewood, which help with easier movement, but it still gets quite stiff when very wet, and I would like to fit the new slide with something more resistant to the effects of the weather.

Some while ago someone gave me a block of very slippery plastic which is designed as a running surface, but unfortunately there is not enough of it to do the job, and I do not know what it is called. Does anyone know what the technical name for this plastic is, and where I might be able to purchase two 4ft lengths of aprox 2" wide x 1/4" thick.

I am having a new steel slide made for our boat to replace the existing wooden one, and have been told that conventionally these are lined with a sheet of hardwood which slides on the brass covered runners. The slide on our boat is 4ft long, and consequently quite heavy. It runs on blocks of rosewood, which help with easier movement, but it still gets quite stiff when very wet, and I would like to fit the new slide with something more resistant to the effects of the weather.

Some while ago someone gave me a block of very slippery plastic which is designed as a running surface, but unfortunately there is not enough of it to do the job, and I do not know what it is called. Does anyone know what the technical name for this plastic is, and where I might be able to purchase two 4ft lengths of aprox 2" wide x 1/4" thick.

It's possibly polypropylene sheet or block, I also think Nylon block has those characteristics also, if you search for Nylon engineering block/rod/flat bar you should come up with something.

Try here I've used this before Nylon 66

http://www.tepp.co.uk/materials.html

Edited by Julynian

I think you may mean ABS strip? Its the sort of stuff that furniture gliders are made from. It has a very low coefficient of friction.

Our slide sometimes gets stiff for the same reason.

Once I tried putting a thin smear of vaseline on the runners. The slide now moved easily with just the slightest push.

Later that day, Pingu was steering and I was standing on the steps, facing backwards and talking to her (it's a cruiser stern so there's plenty of room to do that). Suddenly the blue sky was replaced by a wooden one with lots of stars swirling around it. As I picked myself up I realised that I had got into the habit of leaning back against the slide while talking, but this time it had simply slid back and deposited me backwards on the cabin floor, head first.

Is PTFE (Poly Tetra Fluoro-Ethylene to show off my dim and distant Chemistry A level!!) what you're thinking of? This is the stuff of non stick frying pans etc and has a naturally low coefficient of friction. I haven't researched it but a Google for it might bring up suppliers of strips of the stuff to make bearers for your slide out of.

Richard

Thanks for all the swift responses, Following Julynian suggesting that I Google Nylon 66, I have found a company which supplies small quantities of various plastic sheeting with good sliding properties through eBay. Of course I will still have to cut it unless I find a supply of long strips.

Teflon PTFE - an acronym for Polytetrafluoroethylene - is a high molecular weight polymer, one of the most versatile plastic materials known and useful for a large range of products for applications excluded to other materials. Commonly referred to as Teflon - PTFE has extremely low coefficient of friction

Main properties of our range of PTFE sheet, rod and tube are:

* high heat resistance

* high resistance to chemical agents and solvents

* high anti adhesiveness

* high dielectric properties

* low friction coefficient

* non-toxicity.

http://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/ptfe-index-2457-0.html

plus other places to get it if you search

Thanks for all the swift responses, Following Julynian suggesting that I Google Nylon 66, I have found a company which supplies small quantities of various plastic sheeting with good sliding properties through eBay. Of course I will still have to cut it unless I find a supply of long strips.

Hi David

Nylon 66 and similar are a bit of a pain, I couldn't find strips, so had to buy sheet, However this stuff is brilliant for many other uses and will always come in handy. Also I often search e-bay typing off cuts, Nylon 66 comes up in many shapes and sizes.

If you end up sticking with wood, Standard white candle wax will usually solve any wood to wood sliding problem, has to be candle wax, not soft waxes. Rub it it regularily and eventually it creates a a lovely smooth sliding action.

Edited by Julynian

For what it's worth I use a spray PTFE (from Screwfix) on my extremely heavy sliding hatch. The difference between before and after is amazing. The only downside is that it needs treating every three or four weeks. The upside is that a can lasts years

Frank

Edited by Slim
  • Greenie 1

For what it's worth I use a spray PTFE (from Screwfix) on my extremely heavy sliding hatch. The difference between before and after is amazing. The only downside is that it needs treating every three or four weeks. The upside is that a can lasts years

Frank

Aldi have PTFE spray in at the moment too £3.99

Not sure if it's the same as Nylon 66, but there's also ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) available from http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/UHMWPE_Sheet.html

I have an excess of the 10mm thickness (in natural white). I could cut strips to the size you mentioned, drop me a PM if you're interested?

Thanks Graham, I am definitely interested, PM sent.

If you end up sticking with wood, Standard white candle wax will usually solve any wood to wood sliding problem, has to be candle wax, not soft waxes. Rub it it regularily and eventually it creates a a lovely smooth sliding action.

We have a mild steel cover sliding on brass strips. Candle wax works well here as well. Lasts for weeks and is very inexpensive.