Cranberry and Marzipan Fruit Loaf

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

Hi guys

Thought I'd share this recipe for a really gorgeous loaf cake that I made a few days ago. I've been making it for years now and its so good we usually polish it off in a few days - think I'm going to have to make another one in the next day or two ! You have to boil a few of the ingredients first, but that's what makes this really nice and gooey and the fruit soft.

The other great thing about this recipe is that it's all done in one pan beforehand so minimal washing up if you're like me and hate washing dishes!

Cranberry and Marzipan Fruit Loaf

•  
  • 4oz. butter (use butter guys, marg is awful!)
  • 4oz. brown sugar
  • 8oz. dried fruit - 4oz at least of dried cranberries, and 4oz of any other dried fruit you fancy.
  • 1/4 pint full fat milk
  • 9oz. self-raising flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinammon
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger.
  • 1 beaten egg
  • A good glug of brandy or other liquer.
  • A piece of marzipan, the size of a deck of cards.
  • Flaked almonds or granulated sugar for topping

Heat oven to Gas 3 .

Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin

Put a pan onto your scales and zero.

Weigh in butter, sugar, fruit and liquid and slowly bring to the boil on stove. Stir well then turn the down heat and simmer for a good 10 mins, add the brandy. You can simmer for longer, and to leave it simmering longer will actually make this better!

Turn off heat and leave to cool for at least half an hour, not too long though or the butter will set again

Put the pan back on the scales and zero.

Weigh in flour and add the ginger and cinnamon.

Mix well then add the beaten egg to make a thick batter-like consistency.

Chop the marzipan into small chunks about 1cm and fold into the mix

Pour into the baking tin and sprinkle the top with either granulated sugar or flaked almonds. I actually find granulated sugar is best as it makes the top really crunchy and biscuity!

Bake for about 1 hr 30 mins or until the top is springy and browned and the cake is coming away from the sides . Prick with a skewer or a knife like me(!) and if it comes out clean the cake is done. If not, put back in oven and test again in 10 mins.

Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins. then tip out carefully and leave to cool on a wire rack.

This can also be adapted for a round cake and i have done this before in a 12inch springform cake tin. The cake when done like this, is usually cooked in an hour!

Great with a cup of coffee!

It sounds absolutely delicious - I shall definitely give it a go although I have to adapt the recipe slightly to gluten-free flour. Now where did I put that tin..... :)

That does sound good. How do you manage to make it last for more than one day?

Though surely you could weigh the flour and spices in the scale pan without needing to wash it? Easier than balancing the warm saucepan...

If you wrap it well it should last a good 4-5 days to be honest, sometimes longer. Although, if i'm reading your post right..... it doesn't really last more than a day cos it is that good :rolleyes:

I do it in the pans as i have a set of scales where you can use any "bowl" on top of the weighing platform so it just means that its easy to do it all in the one pan without messing up any other pots/bowls.

• 1 month later...