HMS Ocean squeezes through Thames Barrier

dor

Featured Posts

Well, looking at this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17950813

I would say they had about 50% of the width of the boat to play with. Compare that to putting a 6'11" boat through a 7'6" bridge hole...

Admittedly, hitting the Thames barrier with an aircraft carrier might cause a bit more damage than bouncing off a bridge 'ole with a narrowboat, but even so, it hardly looks like a "squeeze"!

ETA: Mind you, I bet the skipper of that stern tug was sweating a bit for a moment!

Edited by dor

Well, looking at this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17950813

Admittedly, hitting the Thames barrier with an aircraft carrier

HMS Ocean is not a aircraft carrier, She is a amphibious assault ship. Note the the landing craft on davits and stern ramp,

She not able to operate as a fixed wing aircraft carrier due to her lack of the 'ski jump' that is needed to launch a fully loaded Harrier.

The ship does pack a punch with her Apache Longbow choppers. It was a early carrier with same name that the worlds first

amphibious helicopter assault was launched at Suez's in 1956 along the HMS Theseus. She also carries a full Battalion of marines.

300px-HMS_Ocean_IFOS2005%2C_cropped.jpg

Firesprite

In the office

Edited by nbfiresprite

HMS Ocean is not a aircraft carrier, She is a amphibious assault ship. Note the the landing craft landing on davits and stern ramp,

She not able to operate as a fixed wing aircraft carrier due to her lack of the 'ski jump' that is needed to launch a fully loaded Harrier.

The ship does pack a punch with her Apache Longbow choppers. It was a early carrier with same name that the worlds first

amphibious helicopter assault was launched at Suez's in 1956 along the HMS Theseus. She also carries a full Battalion of marines.

300px-HMS_Ocean_IFOS2005%2C_cropped.jpg

Firesprite

In the office

Does the navy still own any aircraft

HMS Ocean is not a aircraft carrier

Well, last time I looked, a helicopter was an aircraft and it certainly seems to carry a few of them. Which is more than can be said of the Harrier.

So I would suggest that, these days, it is about as near as our rump of a navy gets to having a aircraft carrier...

Well, last time I looked, a helicopter was an aircraft and it certainly seems to carry a few of them. Which is more than can be said of the Harrier.

So I would suggest that, these days, it is about as near as our rump of a navy gets to having a aircraft carrier...

You find that the Royal Navy will disagree with you. Royal Navy Website The Ocean was built from the keel up as a amphibious assault ship. That's why it's pendent number is L12 and not CV12.And is designed deliver the punch of the Royal Marines ashore by air and by sea. You find that HMS Bulwark and HMS Albion also carry a fair number of helicopters. An aircraft carrier is defined as vessel able to launch and land fixed wing aircraft which the Ocean can not do.

Firesprite

In the Fens

Edited by nbfiresprite
  • Greenie 2

You find that the Royal Navy will disagree with you. Royal Navy Website The Ocean was built from the keel up as a amphibious assault ship. That's why it's pendent number is L12 and not CV12.And is designed deliver the punch of the Royal Marines ashore by air and by sea. You find that HMS Bulwark and HMS Albion also carry a fair number of helicopters. An aircraft carrier is defined as vessel able to launch and land fixed wing aircraft which the Ocean can not do.

Firesprite

In the Fens

And rhe way this Government is uming and aring the new ones (if ever completed) wont either coz they will have no suitable fixed wing aircraft

The aircraft have been ordered.

They don't work yet, they don't provide the capability required, there are easier, cheaper and better option but they've been ordered!

I'm fairly sure the barrier is still intact considering its and Ocean's shape. The whole Ex OLYMPIC GUARDIAN has been an interesting event and a good advert for what's awaiting potential attackers. Certain bits are very poorly thought through, believe me :unsure:

You don't believe the delays at Heathrow are incompetence do you? It proves we are checking the documents accurately so no good trying forgeries... ;) Most people not travelling are glad they are finally checking the 'non-EU nationals'

If we are talking potential terrorist attacks and the prevention there of, correct me if I'm wrong but haven't there been instances of 'British' nationals involved in terrorism in this country?

Martyn