Replacement for Ellis Heatmaster Chimney Cowl

Featured Posts

Can anyone suggest a suitable arrangement to replace the thirty year old rusting Ellis Heatmaster chimney roof cowl on our boat. Original replacements are no longer available, and I was wondering if a conventional chimney with a coolie hat would be ok.

The only problem is that the hole in the roof is about 4"diameter, and the cast iron chimney collar has a downwards extension which is 6" diameter. I have seen some aluminium ones available from Procast, which should make it easier to cut off the downwards extension, rather than try to enlasrge the hole in the roof.

The only other alternative I can think of is a cast iron Mushroom vent, which I am not very keen on and I haven't seen one of those for years anyway. The other factor against is that there is a normal brass mushroom vent about 2ft away and the two of them so close might look a bit odd.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Edited by David Schweizer

That was quick Alan. I would love to aquire the spare cowl, I will PM you for details etc.

Thanks to Allan from Keeping Up, I will shortly be the very pleased owner of a new Ellis Heatmaster Chimney Cowl, and as he has refused any payment for it, I guess I must owe him a few pints.

This type of help and generosity is one of the most positive aspects of the forum. Thanks allan.

Thanks to Allan from Keeping Up, I will shortly be the very pleased owner of a new Ellis Heatmaster Chimney Cowl, and as he has refused any payment for it, I guess I must owe him a few pints.

This type of help and generosity is one of the most positive aspects of the forum. Thanks allan.

Top marks to Allan an all round decent sort.

As an aside the Ellis boiler I had on my old Harborough boat was probably the best, most reliable and most simple heater I ever had the pleasure to own.

I've still got an Ellis Heatmaster on my boat . Still going strong after 26 years although probably needs another service as it now takes a while to fire up the main burner after the pilot light has lit .

The instruction manual mentions a 'FFD probe ' is that the same as a thermo coupling does anyone know ? Also is it possible to get spares anymore , I suspect not ?

I wonder how many more Heatmasters are still giving sterling service to boaters . I should add I have never replaced anything on it in 26 years although to be fair it isn't on a residential boat .

It is a thermocouple but not to be confused with the thermostat which attaches to the side of the boiler. Some of the spares are generic but most aren't, and I think they've mainly been stockpiled by Sam Matts at Foxton, so if you need anything it'd be best to start there. I thought my FFD probe needed replacing once but the fault was just water condensed in the small gas pipe that feeds the pilot light. If yours takes time to fire up, it may be that the pilot light needs adjusting to give a bigger flame.

Mine is 21 years old and still going strong (hurriedly touches wood). I do hope I can keep it going, it'd be quite a big job to replace it.

Edited by Keeping Up

It is a thermocouple but not to be confused with the thermostat which attaches to the side of the boiler. Some of the spares are generic but most aren't, and I think they've mainly been stockpiled by Sam Matts at Foxton, so if you need anything it'd be best to start there. I thought my FFD probe needed replacing once but the fault was just water condensed in the small gas pipe that feeds the pilot light. If yours takes time to fire up, it may be that the pilot light needs adjusting to give a bigger flame.

Mine is 21 years old and still going strong (hurriedly touches wood). I do hope I can keep it going, it'd be quite a big job to replace it.

Our heater is 21 years old and still going strong but the clicky spark thingy no longer works so have to use a gas lighter.

Phil