The Romping Donkey

J R ALSOP

Featured Posts

We cannot get a decent pint here in France.

Have you not tried Grimbergen? Theres a few variants, but I've only tried the ruby coloured one. Mmm-mmm! :cloud9: Mind you, a pint would put me on my back :wacko:

The only place I saw it though was in Cognac, and in the Supermarche.

Looking forward to our hols in Civray (Vienne)

I heard this while passing through Nantwich. I relayed the information to a friend who told me that there were a few "issues" that needed to be sorted out before the pub would be able to reopen. I was told that there would be a need to go to court but my informant wouldn't elaborate further.

My friend wasn't confident the Donkey would be opening any time soon so we shall have to wait and see.

• 4 months later...

Got to Hassell Green today, the Romping Donkey is still closed and in a state of dereliction.

Anyone got any news of what is happening?

My band played there just before it closed (coincidence, shirley?) and we talked to the landlady. She was trying to buy it from the brewery but they were refusing to sell - I gathered she had put a lot of her own money into doing it up but they wouldn;t negotiate on price. My assumption was that they just wanted it shut and to sell the land - there's another pub not far away so it may not have been a viable business anyway these days. It's a shame - it was one of the few gigs I could go to by boat.

• 8 months later...

The council prevented the building being raised to the ground. There was talk of court action against the perpetrator but I don't know if that ever occurred. Around Christmas a planning application was made to rebuild the pub but this received several objections from people who believed the new bits would be out of character compared with the remaining old bits. This application seems to be in limbo. It has not been accepted, rejected or withdrawn according to the Cheshire East website. .

More recently an application has been made to throw up five houses on the eastern part of the site. This proposal still included a pub but the focus was on development of the houses rather than the pub. It has received many objections and has now been withdrawn.

Don't hold your breath.

It looks in a very sorry state to me and reminds me very much of when some do-it-youself idiot decides to purchase a property and attempts a renovation then finds out he hasn't a clue on how to progress the project and abandones the place, it really is a shame!.unsure.png

Apologies I should have introduced myself as a new member as this is my first post on here, I am 73 years old (yesterday), an old codger with an avid interest in narrowboats and unfortunately no longer a boat owner, many years ago we had a 36ft 1" (the 1" was very important) shell made by John White at Garston and fitted out by Bridgewater Boat Builders, unfortunately and due to personal circumstances we had to sell her.The boats name was "Three Treasures" and is still around and moored at Calverly on the Shroppie and sails under the name of "My Sweet Lady", I am now reduced to 'gongoozeling' and frequently take photos and videos of narrowboats around the canals. I have had connections with the canals all my life from my great Aunt living in a canal cottage at Bobs Bridge on the Old Quay Canal (now filled in) to my Uncle Jack Taylor who had Shebdon wharf on the Shroppie and had also run a couple of canal boat haulage companies in the 1960's at the tail end of canal transport. Oh! I neglected to say that we live close to the Bridgewater at Grappenhall, Cheshire.

Edited by algy

Have you not tried Grimbergen? Theres a few variants, but I've only tried the ruby coloured one. Mmm-mmm! cloud9.gif Mind you, a pint would put me on my back wacko.gif

The only place I saw it though was in Cognac, and in the Supermarche.

Looking forward to our hols in Civray (Vienne)

I love it when a previously defunct pub gets taken over by a micro-brewery and has new life breathed into it cheers.gif

BTW 3 Monts is a very good French beer if you can find it, 75cl strong and under €4

Edited by Chop!

• 2 months later...

I'm just coming to Wheelock at the moment, but I'd go on to Hassal Green if I thought the Romping Donkey was open. It doesn't sound very likely, but DAK?

Last time I was there it was not just closed, but part demolished. I think it would be highly unlikely to have been rebuilt in that time.

It looks in a very sorry state to me and reminds me very much of when some do-it-youself idiot decides to purchase a property and attempts a renovation then finds out he hasn't a clue on how to progress the project and abandones the place, it really is a shame!.unsure.png

Apologies I should have introduced myself as a new member as this is my first post on here, I am 73 years old (yesterday), an old codger with an avid interest in narrowboats and unfortunately no longer a boat owner, many years ago we had a 36ft 1" (the 1" was very important) shell made by John White at Garston and fitted out by Bridgewater Boat Builders, unfortunately and due to personal circumstances we had to sell her.The boats name was "Three Treasures" and is still around and moored at Calverly on the Shroppie and sails under the name of "My Sweet Lady", I am now reduced to 'gongoozeling' and frequently take photos and videos of narrowboats around the canals. I have had connections with the canals all my life from my great Aunt living in a canal cottage at Bobs Bridge on the Old Quay Canal (now filled in) to my Uncle Jack Taylor who had Shebdon wharf on the Shroppie and had also run a couple of canal boat haulage companies in the 1960's at the tail end of canal transport. Oh! I neglected to say that we live close to the Bridgewater at Grappenhall, Cheshire.

You are probably Average Age around here captain.gif