Smartgauge woes

Nose Miner

Featured Posts

I am perhaps the only person in the world who has had a Smartgauge fail on them. Yes, I may have done something to break it, but if so, I don't know what. It has been installed for about two years without a hiccup - yesterday it was working normally - today, nada!

When I say nothing, the only thing it does is constantly display an "8" in the rightmost display. It doesn't respond to any key presses. It doesn't help if I disconnect the supply and reconnect. It doesn't help if I perform a factory reset.

Has anyone else had anything like this? Is it explicable? Can it be economically repaired?

Your help would be most welcome.

Have you thought of speaking to, ummmm, Smartgauge? aka Chris Gibson, sulky misogynist of this forum

Gibbo

I had thought of it, but understood that he doesn't frequent the forum anymore. Or do you have information to the contrary? Otherwise I have no contact details for him.

Personally, after selling my company I didn't feel a great deal of enthusiasm about offering product support to the customers of its new owners. Gibbo may (or may not) feel the same way.

Whilst I thought Gibbo had sold to Merlin, I got the impression he was still doing work on their behalf, at least initially.

I could be wrong though.

There was going to be a SmartGauge mark II wasn't there, although I'm not sure if that was being developed under the auspices of Merlin or not ?

I believe that the etiquette of this situation should really require that enquiries should go to Merlin who make and sell the product. Yes, it used to be Gibbo's baby but no longer, so enquire of Merlin. They dealt with another strange failure of an SG for a friend of mine (who doesn't post here) quite efficiently when they realised and accepted that there really was a problem that couldn't be cured by merely re-setting the device.

Roger