3 weeks away and now can't charge batteries...

Featured Posts

If the OP can't afford a generator when ebay offers these with little searching perhaps having a hole in the water needing filling with money really isn't for you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarke-720Watts-Silent-Compact-Suitcase-Boat-Caravan-Petrol-Generator-230v-13amp-/150795826430?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Generators_ET&hash=item231c21b4fe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUMO-SML34GEN-750W-PETROL-GENERATOR-/220849963111?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Generators_ET&hash=item336baf0067 Careful this one is 2 stroke but it will still drive a medium charger.

I too offered to visit the OP with generator, charger and meters but the OP made the first post then went dark for 24hours.

As I said in post #20 "fault finding is a question of working through the symptoms systematically to a solution".

Making guesses based on assumptions (with a precision that is laughable) isn't helpful.

It yet to be established that the alternator is working. I would place this number one in any fault finding based on the OP

Regardless of any other faults that further information might dredge up, the information about the charging regime that HAS been provided so far is highly likely to mean that the batteries are going to be shot.

Bumping batteries along between discharged and not fully charged is a battery killer.

I know you would dearly love me to be wrong, but I'm not.

Regardless of any other faults that further information might dredge up, the information about the charging regime that HAS been provided so far is highly likely to mean that the batteries are going to be shot.

Bumping batteries along between discharged and not fully charged is a battery killer.

I know you would dearly love me to be wrong, but I'm not.

What a stupid and childish post. Grow up, do.

I don't know whether you are right or wrong, I am 70 miles away and I haven't looked. I am prepared to hold judgement until I have more information, unlike you with your patronising "go and spend over £170" without making the most cursory measurement or observation.

...just so you can disagree with me, this is truly pathetic.

• Greenie 1

Carrying a pair of long commercial jumper leads to get a jump start off another boat is money well spent. :mellow:

Bizz you may know the answer to this one. I want to utilise long commercial grade jump leads from a boat. The AA, have some kind of plug/socket so they just plug their leads in without pfaffing with croc clips at the supply end, and idea where these can be bought?

Bizz you may know the answer to this one. I want to utilise long commercial grade jump leads from a boat. The AA, have some kind of plug/socket so they just plug their leads in without pfaffing with croc clips at the supply end, and idea where these can be bought?

You can get them from vehicle wiring products. Pricey if I remember right/

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/battconns/battconn.php

Ok, so i'm back and have read all the above.

I've been 'quiet' for a while because I work nights - a 12 hour shift at a time - and sleep during the day so not always able to access a computer as often as some of you lucky people!

But to be honest I'm also a little upset at the tone of some of these posts, firstly I have a great deal of respect for my environment and those posts that are making the assumption that I'm eroding river/canal banks wherever I go are both incorrect and unfair. Also, questioning my suitability for owning a boat if I cannot afford to buy a generator is a little sharp - I pay my licenses (EA & BW) on time and in full and keep my boat clean and tidy, the initial post was to ask for advice from those who have more experience with the electrical systems than I do, not to have my character judged by people who have never met me nor know my background or boating experience!

Please could I ask also for those who wish to take out personal issues with each other to step outside with them so that those who have been genuinely kind, concerned and keen to offer to help can do so without having to get caught up with conversations running off thread.

I would however like to thank all those who have offered help both privately and with suggestions on here. As soon as I am able to return to my boat I will check out some of the suggestions.

....oh, and I only have my fridge on when cruising or onboard for a period of time hooked up!

Batteries and charging gets a lot of attention because everyone has issues therewith and has worked out a solution that meets their needs and their are strong views about that experience and the way others would benefit therefrom which get expressed firmly, that's all :cheers:

But to be honest I'm also a little upset at the tone of some of these posts, firstly I have a great deal of respect for my environment and those posts that are making the assumption that I'm eroding river/canal banks wherever I go are both incorrect and unfair.

I'm sorry if you are upset by the suggestion, but the simple FACTS are that if you run your engine in gear whilst moored up, you ARE causing erosion to the banks, and you are breaking the conditions of your licence.

The suggestions are neither incorrect nor unfair.

I'm sorry if you are upset by the suggestion, but the simple FACTS are that if you run your engine in gear whilst moored up, you ARE causing erosion to the banks, and you are breaking the conditions of your licence.

The suggestions are neither incorrect nor unfair.

It is not a matter of opinion but fact.

I have been in a marina until the beginning of April this year. I then, unplanned but unavoidable, had to leave my boat for three weeks. I returned to find very little power and as it was too late in the day to charge the batteries by moving switched on the engine for two hours. Yes, I ran it in gear as that was advice I had been given by other boaters who had told me that running the engine in neutral for that period of time would damage it - how on earth is someone supposed to know which advice to follow when it all confliicts? Fully aware of the erosion issue I felt at the time that as I was moored on metal sheeting that it would not be a problem. It's the only time I've run my engine moored In four years of owning the boat so please quit - I came on here asking politely for advice, not to be told off!!!

Ok, so i'm back and have read all the above.

I've been 'quiet' for a while because I work nights - a 12 hour shift at a time - and sleep during the day so not always able to access a computer as often as some of you lucky people!

But to be honest I'm also a little upset at the tone of some of these posts, firstly I have a great deal of respect for my environment and those posts that are making the assumption that I'm eroding river/canal banks wherever I go are both incorrect and unfair. Also, questioning my suitability for owning a boat if I cannot afford to buy a generator is a little sharp - I pay my licenses (EA & BW) on time and in full and keep my boat clean and tidy, the initial post was to ask for advice from those who have more experience with the electrical systems than I do, not to have my character judged by people who have never met me nor know my background or boating experience!

Please could I ask also for those who wish to take out personal issues with each other to step outside with them so that those who have been genuinely kind, concerned and keen to offer to help can do so without having to get caught up with conversations running off thread.

I would however like to thank all those who have offered help both privately and with suggestions on here. As soon as I am able to return to my boat I will check out some of the suggestions.

....oh, and I only have my fridge on when cruising or onboards for a period of time hooked up!

Sorry if you feel unfairly advised. You sometimes need a thick skin here and the abiliity to ignore some if the inter personal spats that occur.

Re your bank erosion , there is no doubt that if you run your engine in gear whilst moored to charge your batteries you will cause erosion to both the bank and the bottom. I am sure you do not do ut with any malice, but that is why it is a prohibited practise.

. Yes, I ran it in gear as that was advice I had been given by other boaters who had told me that running the engine in neutral for that period of time would damage it - how on earth is someone supposed to know which advice to follow when it all conflicts? Fully aware of the erosion issue I felt at the time that as I was moored on metal sheeting that it would not be a problem. It's the only time I've run my engine moored In four years of owning the boat so please quit - I came on here asking politely for advice, not to be told off!!!

Nobody's telling you off, just pointing out that what you are doing is wrong. There are a number of people who still believe that running the engine with no load causes bore glazing, but this came about due to people putting the wrong oil in. If you are using a CC or CD grade oil you will not have a problem. The idea has stuck with some people who haven't caught up. There have been several threads here endorsing this view. There are some gearboxes that get their lubrication driven from the output shaft, so need to be in gear to get full circulation. However as the gearbox is not under any load, the oil splashing about will be adequate.

Still think your batteries are shot due to never getting properly charged though I could be wrong.

Nobody's telling you off, just pointing out that what you are doing is wrong. There are a number of people who still believe that running the engine with no load causes bore glazing, but this came about due to people putting the wrong oil in. If you are using a CC or CD grade oil you will not have a problem. The idea has stuck with some people who haven't caught up. There have been several threads here endorsing this view. There are some gearboxes that get their lubrication driven from the output shaft, so need to be in gear to get full circulation. However as the gearbox is not under any load, the oil splashing about will be adequate.Still think your batteries are shot due to never getting properly charged though I could be wrong.

Not Vetus's view I understand. They also have something to say about warranties and running engines for more than 20 minutes out of gear. However if not a Vetus I am with you - unless Vetus have changed their minds.

The Thames is in most places usually wide enough to shove the boat off the bank say 10 feet or so then anchor it fore and aft with mud weights,to enable engines to be run in gear.But not with present flood conditions of course.

There's always the alternative of diving down the weed box and taking the propeller off each time too. Someone needs to design a simple dog clutch to fit behind the gearbox to disconnect the prop shaft and so allow the g/box to be run in gear without the prop turning.Or an adjustable feathering variable pitch propeller. :mellow:

Edited by bizzard

The Thames is in most places usually wide enough to shove the boat off the bank say 10 feet or so then anchor it fore and aft with mud weights,to enable engines to be run in gear.But not with present flood conditions of course.

There's always the alternative of diving down the weed box and taking the propeller off each time too. Someone needs to design a simple dog clutch to fit behind the gearbox to disconnect the prop shaft and so allow the g/box to be run in gear without the prop turning.Or an adjustable feathering variable pitch propeller. :mellow:

Coupled with a water-cooled friction brake on the shaft that generates (even more) hot water! Engine runs at good speed with decent load, decoupled prop does no damage, and a few amp hours and hot water drop out of the end! The only downside is the compulsory long showers & water tank filling. But perhaps an engine-powered river water distillation plant would help here.

All that's left is a power take-off to run the coffee grinder...

I have been in a marina until the beginning of April this year. I then, unplanned but unavoidable, had to leave my boat for three weeks. I returned to find very little power and as it was too late in the day to charge the batteries by moving switched on the engine for two hours. Yes, I ran it in gear as that was advice I had been given by other boaters who had told me that running the engine in neutral for that period of time would damage it - how on earth is someone supposed to know which advice to follow when it all confliicts? Fully aware of the erosion issue I felt at the time that as I was moored on metal sheeting that it would not be a problem. It's the only time I've run my engine moored In four years of owning the boat so please quit - I came on here asking politely for advice, not to be told off!!!

And you have been politely given advice.

That advice has covered several points, and has corrected previous bad advice that you have been given (such as running in gear, and running for a couple of hours being sufficient).

Yes, it is difficult to know which advice to follow, but as the advice given here comes with a wealth of background information as to WHY, I hope you will accept that it is correct.

If you want people to pretend that running in gear doesn't cause erosion, and that two hours a day will be enough, you may well have come to the wrong place

My first attempt at wading into a battery question but (having had a similar experience as a result of inadequate charging)

Yes the batteries are quite possibly knackered as a result of insufficient charging, but what it the cause of this? Iy might simply be not running the engine for long enough but perhaps you should also check that there's no problem with the alternator connection or the alternator itself; is it also a possibility that the recent rain, putting additional strain on the bilge pump, has been the final straw that has made a long standing issue apparent?

No help in the current circs I realise but something to check once the immediate problem has been addressed.

Two things I would consider if it was me - one option probably not open to you, which is hand starting; the other (which we have done) is to go and buy a new battery, if you're somewhere you can get one to. You're going to need one anyway.