2LW Oil change

Wrinkley

Featured Posts

My 2lw takes 12.5 liters of sae 30 CC grade. So 25l container does two changes as I do not need to top up between changes. I use Rock Oil Classic 30 'cause i used to sell it and I know it is good. Seen it being made at the factory. Available from motorcycle shops and all sorts of places. Rock are based in Warrington.

Gosh this forum is frustrating sometimes.

Pretend you're in Africa, heading up stream (picture the african queen). You take the dipstick out and the black gloop that confronts you smells like a scottish engineer's armpit. You ring Morris and a reassuring voice says they can fly some out to you in three weeks time by which time the tribe whose chief's daughter you've run off with will have caught up.

You are in the Nigerian equivalent of boy-racers-r-us.

Which oil would you choose?

If I could get Morris oil I wouldn't be asking.

Well if you are in such a remote place then I would use a any oil I could get then change it for the correct (best) oil for the job.....sometimes it's very frustrating to give advice only to have it thrown back at you.......

Cheers

Gareth

Well if you are in such a remote place then I would use a any oil I could get then change it for the correct (best) oil for the job.....sometimes it's very frustrating to give advice only to have it thrown back at you.......

Cheers

Gareth

Well... I was trying not to be rude because I realised you were trying to be helpful. But as you think I was anyway....

...if I could get Morris 30W oil do you think I would be asking the question after two whole pages of people giving exactly the same advice?

I am taking Tim Leech's advice (the wise man always does) but a brief exploration yesterday revealed it was going to be difficult to get anything less than API CF.

Chris . if you want API CC 30 grade we have it in stock..and yes you would get a discount

Thank you very much for your kind offer but the slight problem would be getting the engine to within economic distance of you.

And no, it's not (quite) in darkest Africa but it might as well be it seems. Though nearer Africa than Uxbridge.

The whole issue I've got is that getting 30W oil locally is tricky although I cannot believe impossible, I'm just looking in the wrong place. But Wrinkley, indirectly, gave me a clue - farm supplies.

In England Mole Valley farmers do a straight 30W in 25L containers for much less than Mr Morris, or Mr Rock.

Though I've had a good look and the oil feels and smells good and it's only done a few hours and would cost the fat end of £100 to replace so I will probably leave it until at least the end of the season.

(anyone feeling left un-insulted by this post can apply for personal treatment)

Hi, I have not had the pleasure of working on naturally aspirated Gardners for many years,none of them being any smaller than the 5LWs and LXBs, basing the knowledge of these engines against the smaller units they all had a habit of running on the cool side and if oil changes were not kept to the manufacturers recommendations they would suffer from fuel dilution and "bore wash" especially if the injectors were not kept in tip top order. All the engines I worked on were in trucks and the oils were dropped monthly regardless of mileage. If an engine began letting unburnt fuel down the bores the oil would smell distinctly different (sulphur odour ) then a full check of the fuel system/compression testing etc would be done. The 8 cylinder 240bhp LXB was by far the worst engine with these problems,we ran them without cooling fans which virtually cured the problem. I think a regular oil change is more important than what grade is in there as many of the trucks were clocking up to 6-700,000 miles on 15W40 turbo grade oils.

• 4 months later...

I am trying "Vintage Tractor Oil" from Rye Oils, this is an SAE30 monograde, non detergent API CB oil. This is available in 25l drums for a reasonable price. The local tractor guys swear by it. Its not been in for long enough to comment on how it will perform.

Chris

Good info Chris. It seems to tick all the box's for non-detergent requirements in vintage diesels, and half the price of Golden Film.

Wonder if anyone else has experience using it in a boat?

I'm not sure that vintage tractors would get enough use nowadays to provide valid feedback although tractor sled pulling may give it a hard time tongue.png

Big_Red_One.jpg

• 5 years later...
On 25/06/2013 at 10:19, Chris Pink said:

You take the dipstick out and the black gloop that confronts you smells like a scottish engineer's armpit.

Funny enough, Morris SAE30 smells like a scottish engineer's armpit that's been eating raw onion sandwiches out of the container.   

It's only after it's been used that it smells like normal used engine oil. 

Edited by bagginz

The 4 LW in the crane has done another year ,no oil change......must be 17 years now.........dont ask me what kind of oil....memory loss.........Would likely have been Valvoline Allfleet,or one of the Detroit Diesel oils we used to use hundreds of gallons of........most of the DD oil ended up on the ground under the compressors ,blown out of the airbox drains.