Vegetarian Pies

Grace and Favour

Featured Posts

What-ho chaps!

I'm not a vegetarian ('Though I'll still share a beer with those who are - you understand <_< ) I recently came across a site with some rather scrummy recipes for the food of the Gods Pies for Vegetarians (and Vegans too I guess!)

As I recall few occasions when I have noticed such culinary delights gracing the menus of restaurants - - I thought I'd share these recipes with you.

The linky is here

They all look pretty good, might give them a try some time.

Meanwhile here is mine (which can easily be adapted if you're scared of looking like a vegan)

Packet of sausages (my favourite for this is the Cauldron soya ones, either Cumberland or Lincolnshire)

Onion

Big tasty mushrooms

Red Oxo (no it hasn't got any actual beef in it)

Bisto

Self raising flour

Veg suet Salt

Optional - Worcester sauce if not extreme veggie, or Hendersons relish if you are, and can get it.

Slice and fry onions, cut sausages into bite size pieces and fry til cooked. Add mushrooms chopped into chunks. Mix oxo cube and bisto in cold water. Add and bring to simmer. Add sauce or a dash of sherry or port. Do all this in an oven proof pot.

Make pastry - 2:1 ratio of flour to suet + cold water + salt. Roll out and lay on top of filling. Bake at about mark five until risen and golden. Serve with greens.

Guest wanted

What-ho chaps!

I'm not a vegetarian ('Though I'll still share a beer with those who are - you understand <_< ) I recently came across a site with some rather scrummy recipes for the food of the Gods Pies for Vegetarians (and Vegans too I guess!)

As I recall few occasions when I have noticed such culinary delights gracing the menus of restaurants - - I thought I'd share these recipes with you.

The linky is here

I notice that there is only one real pie in the selection, the others only having a lid, however as I have a rule of only eating well looked after meat I often have a few veggie days to keep the costs down. I will be sure to try some of these. The nutty one looks amazing.

Cheers for sharing

What-ho chaps!

The linky is here

The reason not many restaurants have much to offer in the way of veggie dishes is that despite a growth in that market it is still a very small amount of restaurant/pub sales. I have been out the pub trade for 10 years now and when I left the amount of veggie requests were minute. My son runs a very big pub selling thousands of meals every week but has recently told me that his veggie sales are about 3% of sales. As for vegans :wacko: they are much much less. Homo sapien is omniverous .....simples......... :cheers:

Tim

Red Oxo (no it hasn't got any actual beef in it)

Red Oxo does contain Beef:

Allergy Advice: contains wheat, gluten.

Wheat Flour, Salt, Yeast Extract, Maize Starch, Flavour Enhancers (Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium Guanylate), Colour (Ammonia Caramel), Beef Fat, Flavourings, Dried Beef Bonestock, Sugar, Lactic Acid.

Clicky

If you like you can have some of my beef stock, after I've cooked a nice roast dinner...Same amount of meat but no chemicals such as MSG, DSG or "Flavourings".

Edited to add: and Cauldron sausages contain Methylcellulose:

Methylcellulose possible side effects:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; difficulty swallowing; nausea; rectal bleeding; stomach pain; vomiting.

Give me a nice free range, additive free 90% pork banger anytime.

Edited by carlt

The reason not many restaurants have much to offer in the way of veggie dishes is that despite a growth in that market it is still a very small amount of restaurant/pub sales. I have been out the pub trade for 10 years now and when I left the amount of veggie requests were minute. My son runs a very big pub selling thousands of meals every week but has recently told me that his veggie sales are about 3% of sales. As for vegans :wacko: they are much much less. Homo sapien is omniverous .....simples......... :cheers:

Tim

Id say more likely that the veggie food you get in pubs is revolting. I only eat meat a couple of times a week now, because the quality stuff is too expensive and because my partner doesn't like it much, but unless you are going for, say, Indian, veggie food for eating out is awful. Drowning in cheese. Or mushroom risotto or nut roast. Awful, boring, no wonder people think vegetarian food is boring if thats what theyre exposed to.

So I tend to cook it at home and eat meat if im out.

Edited by Lady Muck

Id say more likely that the veggie food you get in pubs is revolting. I only eat meat a couple of times a week now, because the quality stuff is too expensive and because my partner doesn't like it much, but unless you are going for, say, Indian, veggie food for eating out is awful. Drowning in cheese. Or mushroom risotto or nut roast. Awful, boring, no wonder people think vegetarian food is boring if thats what theyre exposed to.

So I tend to cook it at home and eat meat if im out.

So in relation to getting more/better veggie food in pubs, its a case of chicken and egg?

Red Oxo does contain Beef:

Clicky

If you like you can have some of my beef stock, after I've cooked a nice roast dinner...Same amount of meat but no chemicals such as MSG, DSG or "Flavourings".

Edited to add: and Cauldron sausages contain Methylcellulose:

Give me a nice free range, additive free 90% pork banger anytime.

I do tend to agree Carl which is why after I stopped being vegan I didn't go back to being veggie. Still try to eat mostly plants though.

They must have changed Oxo again. Last time I looked it didn't.

Edited by Chertsey

A new chippy has opened in Barnoldswick (Chubbys) He makes his own pies and I tried one of the cheese and onion ones today.

Awesome.

And I love nothing more than a steak and kidney pie but this was fab.

Using vegetarian cheese?

:rolleyes:

This is why I couldn't be arsed to be a vegetarian, by the time you've worked out what you can eat and what you can't you've starved to death..

This is why I couldn't be arsed to be a vegetarian, by the time you've worked out what you can eat and what you can't you've starved to death..

Precisely.

My veggie friend was amazed when I pointed out the animal products in the digestive biscuit she was tucking into (and the vulcanising process of the rubber, in the soles of her leather free pumps).

Well, it depends why you're not eating meat, for us it's the cost and because my partner dislikes most of it. So we still use meat stock, nam pla and stuff like that.

For me it's not about being 'pure', but doing what I can to reduce my negative impact on the environment, on animal welfare, and on my health (and incidentally on my wallet). Which means in practice a mostly vegan diet but not getting hung up about it.

Saying you can't be arsed to eat less animal stuff because you can't be sure of being a totally 'pure' veggie sounds like a bit of a cop out to me.

Here by the way are two lovely recipes:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/feb/07/vegetarian-recipe-spiced-lentils-yogurt

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/feb/20/legume-noodle-soup-yotam-ottolenghi

Precisely.

My veggie friend was amazed when I pointed out the animal products in the digestive biscuit she was tucking into (and the vulcanising process of the rubber, in the soles of her leather free pumps).

Not sure where you're coming from here Carl - you're not a veggie yourself and have no wish to be, but you seem to delight in pointing out the less-than-perfect nature of those people who have chosen to make an effort in that direction...

Edited by Chertsey

For me it's not about being 'pure', but doing what I can to reduce my negative impact on the environment, on animal welfare, and on my health (and incidentally on my wallet). Which means in practice a mostly vegan diet but not getting hung up about it.

I shudder at the thought of everyone turning vegetarian and the huge negative effect that would have on the environment.

One also wonders how well the animals would be treated if they no longer had any value, as food (considering the way the Mink farmers treated their animals, when they became worthless).

A cow has a natural lifespan of over 30 years and I can't see there being retirement homes being set up for them, if they are no longer going to be slaughtered for food, especially as there would be no room for them on our tiny island, when it is turned into a food factory, all the valuable pasture habitat turned over to sterile food crop production.

My meat lives in the same place where I walk my dogs or go to watch wildlife. I tend to avoid the food factories, carpeted with grain crops or oilseed rape.

Meat eaters maintain the meadows and pasture fields. If we didn't exist neither would they.

Not sure where you're coming from here Carl - you're not a veggie yourself and have no wish to be, but you seem to delight in pointing out the less-than-perfect nature of those people who have chosen to make an effort in that direction...

I'm having a discussion. There was no malice in my observation, it was merely an observation and we parted as friends, as always.

Vegetarianism has an adverse effect on the environment that is rarely explored and I choose to explore it just like many vegetarians choose to discuss their reasons for their diet.

Edited by carlt

Saying you can't be arsed to eat less animal stuff because you can't be sure of being a totally 'pure' veggie sounds like a bit of a cop out to me.

Possibly - but don't get me wrong I haven't really tried that hard nor would I really want to to be honest. I like eating meat and enjoy it but that said I'm quite happy to try vegetarian stuff too, just not exclusively.

Hello Carl, I am a vegetarian (since 37 years), and do eat cheese and eggs, and also own leather shoes, those three things a vegan wouldn't do, but is perfectly oké for a vegetarian.

My link

Peter.

Err...from your own link...

A lacto vegetarian (sometimes referred to as a lactarian; from the Latin lactis, milk) diet is a vegetarian diet that includes dairy products such as milk, cheese, yogurt, butter, cream, and kefir, but excludes eggs. Lacto-vegetarians also abstain from cheeses that include animal rennet and yogurts that contain gelatin.

Well spotted Carl, I did copy the wrong Wikipedia link, and hope that this one will satisfy you better, but even if not, I'm not changing and will continue being a vegetarian.

My link

Peter.

I wouldn't expect anyone to change their choice of lifestyle, or diet, based on my musings.

I think the label "vegetarian" (or "carnivore") leads one to expect rules.

There are no rules, only choices, though I believe eating domestic pets and cannibalism is frowned upon, in our unenlightened society.

I'll be eating a meat free quiche with a baked potato and salad, this evening.

I wouldn't expect anyone to change their choice of lifestyle, or diet, based on my musings.

I think the label "vegetarian" (or "carnivore") leads one to expect rules.

There are no rules, only choices, though I believe eating domestic pets and cannibalism is frowned upon, in our unenlightened society.

I'll be eating a meat free quiche with a baked potato and salad, this evening.

Got any particular person in mind for the hogroast carl?

edited to add, I had a "Peters Pasty" for lunch, it had never occured to me the meat might have been Peter rather than beef

Edited by magpie patrick