Converting from tiller to wheel steering..

Featured Posts

How do you clear a fouled prop with a kort rudder..?

I have a weed hatch to one side. I just push the tiller away from me and get in through the tube.

By the way, it steers perfectly at low speeds and you can slow down in reverse and steer at the same time much better than with a rudder.

I have a weed hatch to one side. I just push the tiller away from me and get in through the tube.

By the way, it steers perfectly at low speeds and you can slow down in reverse and steer at the same time much better than with a rudder.

Fudd if they are that good why have they not been fitted to all boats money i suppose ?

I've asked this question myself. Tradition possibly. I've posted a photo on CWDF Facebook page

The Kort Nozzle will cause Turbulence and Vibration at high loads and a large piece of Timber or any solid object will jam it all up

Loads of alternatives to the conventional rudder have been tried out and all have reliability and longevity problems

So not tradition but practicality is the reason why such systems are not in common use

CT

The Kort Nozzle will cause Turbulence and Vibration at high loads and a large piece of Timber or any solid object will jam it all up

Loads of alternatives to the conventional rudder have been tried out and all have reliability and longevity problems

So not tradition but practicality is the reason why such systems are not in common use

CT

Mines 20 years old and has needed no maintenance. I have had a log go through but it didn't get stuck at all. I had a traffic cone go through once and it just shredded it. So no, not a problem. I have posted an photo of an article on the CWDF Facebook page and they had the same thing happen with a cone. I must admit, I had a bit of a problem with a 15' length of 11/2" rope. Took me about an hour to get it off but it could have been a problem with a normal rudder. Edited by fudd

But it stands to reason that a prop spinning in a tube is more likely to get fouled than one without a tube. If yours hasn't that much then perhaps you've just been lucky.

It could also stop stuff from getting near the prop. As I said earlier on in the thread, there's at least two of us and we both wouldn't change back to a standard set up. And yes, I do think I'm lucky?

Fudd if they are that good why have they not been fitted to all boats money i suppose ?

The answer to that is obvious I would have thought, 200 years ago they hadn't been invented and used flat plates so they must be best and the only way to do it. Just look at this thread

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=89017&page=1