Limehouse to Chelmer & Blackwater Canal, via Thames and Estuary

Featured Posts

Evening all,

I'm considering moving my 45' nb from present moorings at Broxbourne,to the Chelmer & Blackwater Canal, via Limehouse then Thames and Estuary.

I wondered if by coming out on a high tide, just after it had turned, I could round Shoeburyness, up the coast at low tide, then enter the Chelmer & Blackwater on the next incoming tide.

Of course, allowing for fair wind, weather; and with due cosideration for "elf & safety", qualified coastal skipper on board, and pilot + safety boat present as required.

Does anybody have any experiance of this journey, or knows of anyone who has or could help?

If you haven't got the tide to get into Heybridge basin lock, you can anchor in sheltered deeper water fairly close to entrance channel. A dinghy would be useful here to get ashore & arrange locking in.

Evening all,

I'm considering moving my 45' nb from present moorings at Broxbourne,to the Chelmer & Blackwater Canal, via Limehouse then Thames and Estuary.

I wondered if by coming out on a high tide, just after it had turned, I could round Shoeburyness, up the coast at low tide, then enter the Chelmer & Blackwater on the next incoming tide.

Of course, allowing for fair wind, weather; and with due cosideration for "elf & safety", qualified coastal skipper on board, and pilot + safety boat present as required.

Does anybody have any experiance of this journey, or knows of anyone who has or could help?

I think the Tuesday Night Club (Neil Arlidge on Ernest) did the trip some years ago, but their website is no longer online.

Firstly leaving Limehouse to do the trip is a non starter as you will have to push the tide round through Greenwich

Much better to leave Bow Locks as soon as you can say about 1.5 to 2hrs before high tide push the tide down bow creek and arrive at the barrier at slack water. This will then give you a clear run down the Thames with the tide to Queenborough which can be your frst stop. There used to be a concreter barge there thet you can tie to to await the next tide.

Leave Queenborough again about an hour before high tide and cross the fairway to Shoeburyness following the line of boys out past the entrance to the Crouch, you will need to stay a fair way out as there are some sand banks that appear when you least expect them. I haven't got my charts to hand so cant name the buoys that you will need to follow.

Once you have got past the entrance to the crouch it should be somewhere about low water so you will have a run with the tide up the Blackwater estuary, you will need to arrive at high tide as the lock is only available about 1.5hrs either side and you will have to book.

Caveats

You will need a decent VHF, charts, binoculars, life jackets and other safety equipment and will have to prepare your boat for a sea passage and only consider doing the journey if there is a weather window of at least 4 days with winds forecast force 1-2, I have done it in a barge in 4-5 and it was unpleasant to say the least

If it was me I would go by road

If you haven't got the tide to get into Heybridge basin lock, you can anchor in sheltered deeper water fairly close to entrance channel. A dinghy would be useful here to get ashore & arrange locking in.

Deeper water at Heybridge :lol: the only deep water at low tide is the other side of Osea Island down towards Bradwell

Thanks to all for your help and advice.

Will probably take the road option; due to "black bottom" anyway, so can kill two birds there.

I'll post again if I change me mind and start feeing brave.

Thanks again folks.