wanted

big hull trev

Featured Posts

Hi Trev, welcome to the forum.

You might find it's helpful in finding willing boaters if you give some idea of what kind of area(s) you are in or could get to, any experience you have, and if you're looking for a day trip kind of thing, or if you're hoping for some longer cruises etc.

Best of luck!

Starry.

Edited by Starcoaster

hello anyone need a shipmate ?,let me know and ill be there,anywere. im after buying a canalboat soon,but would like to try it out first,ill pay my way. thanks let me know.

As Starry said, plus, it may be useful to those who may consider your proposal if you tell them a little about yourself . .

Let's face it - - a blind date is one thing - - a 'blind' live-in is another :lol:

Hi Trev, welcome to the forum.

You might find it's helpful in finding willing boaters if you give some idea of what kind of area(s) you are in or could get to, any experience you have, and if you're looking for a day trip kind of thing, or if you're hoping for some longer cruises etc.

Best of luck!

Starry.

thanks for the imfo, area(s)anywere from devon to scotland,i have no real experience,only cannoing pass them or pulling my line in when one go's passed whilsed fishing,lol and the longer the better (cruises),a month to a year. hope this helps,trev

If you have no experience of canal boats already, then I'd strongly recommend hiring for at least a week, to see if you like it. Some people think they will, then don't. If you're committed to buying, have you looked at shared ownership and ruled that out?

If you have no experience of canal boats already, then I'd strongly recommend hiring for at least a week, to see if you like it. Some people think they will, then don't. If you're committed to buying, have you looked at shared ownership and ruled that out?

cheers paul for your time,i dont really want to hire a boat as thats too easy,just ring them up and tell them to pick it up when its grounded or what ever.

what id like to do is all the things that count like,sorting a prop out when weed, rope and wired up,sort engine out,all the things you carn't and not allowed to do on a hireboat and i dont want to be bouncing of boats and taking moorings out the first time out. i want to learn over months,im a joiner/handyman,but can put my hands to anything really,im 47 fit and able. id even blacked the boat or do any repairs to make it water tight and sea going,london and the olimpics sounds nice (watching the free events).

thanks trev

cheers paul for your time,i dont really want to hire a boat as thats too easy,just ring them up and tell them to pick it up when its grounded or what ever.<snip>

thanks trev

You'll be lucky! They may give you advice over the phone, but you sort yourself out on the cut

Richard

The suggestion of hiring was based on 2 things. One is, the fact that there's no capital outlay (just the hire cost) so if you didn't like it, no great loss. The other is that there's not really any middle ground between hiring and buying the whole boat - except for timeshare and shared ownership. In timeshare, its very similar to hiring except you're in a 'club' and you get to book weeks as membership of that club. Shared ownership is a half way house between hiring and owning (100% of the boat) and you might be expected to do more for yourself, such as pump out, filling with diesel, sorting out minor issues with fixtures and fittings and/or getting trades to do it (eg more complex stuff such as a boiler or central heating, etc). They tend to be well maintained (ie by having them serviced by professionals regularly) and members of recovery (RCR I think?)

For any more than a day's hire, you'll be expected to do the daily checks on an engine, monitor the batteries, check and clear the weed hatch and prop, etc and for any boating, things like recovering from a grounding are just a part of normal stuff.

PS forgot to add, shared ownership has a capital outlay element to it too, but obviously not as much as buying (100% of) a boat.

The suggestion of hiring was based on 2 things. One is, the fact that there's no capital outlay (just the hire cost) so if you didn't like it, no great loss. The other is that there's not really any middle ground between hiring and buying the whole boat - except for timeshare and shared ownership. In timeshare, its very similar to hiring except you're in a 'club' and you get to book weeks as membership of that club. Shared ownership is a half way house between hiring and owning (100% of the boat) and you might be expected to do more for yourself, such as pump out, filling with diesel, sorting out minor issues with fixtures and fittings and/or getting trades to do it (eg more complex stuff such as a boiler or central heating, etc). They tend to be well maintained (ie by having them serviced by professionals regularly) and members of recovery (RCR I think?)

For any more than a day's hire, you'll be expected to do the daily checks on an engine, monitor the batteries, check and clear the weed hatch and prop, etc and for any boating, things like recovering from a grounding are just a part of normal stuff.

PS forgot to add, shared ownership has a capital outlay element to it too, but obviously not as much as buying (100% of) a boat.

thanks for the sound advice,but i dont think ill end up hireing one as it will be very hard to give it back,lol. £800 a week is that cheap ? plz,thats with a fulltank.

i forgot to mention that i used to go from hull up to nr wakefield and unload petrol and diesel off a RIX barge,left it there and come home,went back next day to bring the barge home,full of somthing else,i was called the ship's cat,(the cup of tea man) we even found a body(poor sole).but even on the barge everything was digatal,joystick rudder,hydrolic wheelhouse,the lot.going under bridges was sceary,as it had to be put on full revs,so the back end wentdown deeper,to leave a 2 inch headroom for the wheelhouse,and it ran aground, but i want on it than,it cost £36,000(a nice narrowboat lol) to pull it off,i forgot how good it was really,but ive never sleeped on one,that was about 10 years ago. so i dont know if that counts,but i drove and staired it.

soz about the spelling,but me spell thing don't work.

do thay have hitch-hikers on canals ? or is that funny,lol

We picked up a hitch-hiker going through the Standedge tunnel last summer. Nice chap with a folding bike who sat in the well-deck on the way through!

We also hired a fair bit before we bought (and after we bought as well - we'd already booked the holiday and couldn't cancel!) It's helped us to decide that we really, really wanted our own boat :)

Edited by Circe

Hi Trev, welcome to the forum. You mention hitch hikers as if it were a joke but in fact you have an ideal way into the world of boating there.

There are many people who are glad of a little help with locks and there are also lots of people who have to move a boat and would feel happier if they had a bit of help to crew it. Those people often want someone with some experience but you probably have more experience than people on here first thought with your barge trips.

I think may of the canals up in your neck of the woods are big and wide with electric operated stuff so there might not be so much call for lockwheeling around there but if you got the chance to spend some time around a busy flight somewhere then talk to the boaters and offer to help open and close gates etc. get yourself a windlass too. If you are handy with a bit of DIY then consider joining a trust who will be glad of your skills and in return you are likely to get an opportunity to further your experience and skills. For example Chestefield Canal Trust are building a new boat that will require fitting out. They also operate trip boats and Python which is a historic boat. They will offer RYA hellsman training to people who volunteer as crew for the trip boat too. While they are looking for experienced crew it is not as if you are without any experience at all.

I would also suggest you join in with the general chat on the forum, ask lots of questions and read lots. If you get a chance to come along to a banter then do so because once people have got to know you a little they may be more forthcoming in inviting you along for an odd day or a weekend which may assist.

I would certainly suggest you do hire though - be patient and hire a boat out of season when your money will give you a longer term of hire and you will get a more realistic idea of what being on a boat year round can be like. You will need to clear the weedhatch yourself!

Hi Trev, welcome to the forum. You mention hitch hikers as if it were a joke but in fact you have an ideal way into the world of boating there.

There are many people who are glad of a little help with locks and there are also lots of people who have to move a boat and would feel happier if they had a bit of help to crew it. Those people often want someone with some experience but you probably have more experience than people on here first thought with your barge trips.

I think may of the canals up in your neck of the woods are big and wide with electric operated stuff so there might not be so much call for lockwheeling around there but if you got the chance to spend some time around a busy flight somewhere then talk to the boaters and offer to help open and close gates etc. get yourself a windlass too. If you are handy with a bit of DIY then consider joining a trust who will be glad of your skills and in return you are likely to get an opportunity to further your experience and skills. For example Chestefield Canal Trust are building a new boat that will require fitting out. They also operate trip boats and Python which is a historic boat. They will offer RYA hellsman training to people who volunteer as crew for the trip boat too. While they are looking for experienced crew it is not as if you are without any experience at all.

I would also suggest you join in with the general chat on the forum, ask lots of questions and read lots. If you get a chance to come along to a banter then do so because once people have got to know you a little they may be more forthcoming in inviting you along for an odd day or a weekend which may assist.

I would certainly suggest you do hire though - be patient and hire a boat out of season when your money will give you a longer term of hire and you will get a more realistic idea of what being on a boat year round can be like. You will need to clear the weedhatch yourself!

thanks for your time,

ive made some enquires about hireing one, with alex @ escape the rat race,see what happends.

ive also made some at some salvage yards,boat brockers and hoping to save a nice one,without putting to much £££ into it,just loads of time.

i grow up mending cars,so engines,the older the better,i woun't have a clue with the new ones though.

theres is a canal nr me thats not used, and i got in touch with someone about doing some volunteer work,thay said it not there distric and would put me number to someone else,still waiting,ill chace that up.

is a forum like chat rooms,it was a little book when i was younger,lol im new to all this typing and computer really

thanks trev

Trev,

As a seasoned hirer myself, I'd really recommend it.

We started off hiring for a week, then two, then three and our last trip was for a month from the Midlands down to the Thames and back.

Hiring isn't necessarily an easy option where everything is done for you...on our longer cruises we've had to sort our own pumpouts, refuelling etc.

Yes, the hire company will be there for any emergencies that you can't cope with, but for things like working locks, clearing the prop, grounding etc, you're on your own! Hopefully your handover will cover all these eventualities!

Cheshire~Rose made some good suggestions....join a local trust, if there is one in your area. Find yourself a busy lock flight where you can offer some assistance. Most boaters are delighted to get some help with the gates etc, and it's a great way to meet like minded people.

Also join in with the general chat on the forum so that people get to know you. If my experience is anything to go by, then it really will be worth your while. Because I've been an active member and engaged with others over several years, including going to various banters, we've been in the very privileged position of being able to borrow boats for holidays. I've also had several day trips with various forum members as they passed through my area - sometimes I helped them through the locks at Blackburn and Greenberfield...on other occasions I was simply invited for the company.

I've just tried to count the number of times I've been out boating with forum members, but I ran out of fingers!

Janet

Hi Trev and welcome!

I hate to be the first to bring up the subject but here goes... money.

Are you planning to liveaboard, buy a project boat to work on in your spare time or a brand spanking new one? If living on board: in a marina, an online mooring or continuous cruising? Reason for asking is that yes, boats can be a cheap and (maybe) cheerful aquisition but more often than not you may as well empty your pockets out into the canal. Don't get me wrong, I adore my boat and desperately miss her when i'm on land but despite plenty of reading up and research, 4 years on I'm still surprised at how much money I have to throw at her.

You balked at £800 for a hireboat - well, that's around the yearly cost of your BW license. Then there's insurance, survey, boat safety cert, hull blacking, replacing batteries, diesel, gas, and all sorts of bits and bobs that tend to pack up and need replacing all at the same time!

Sorry if this sounds all a bit negative but so many people assume that living on a boat is a cheaper way of living than having a house - but hey ho, none of this is relevant if your boat is going to be your hobby.

Good luck!

Anna

Hi Trev and welcome!

I hate to be the first to bring up the subject but here goes... money.

Are you planning to liveaboard, buy a project boat to work on in your spare time or a brand spanking new one? If living on board: in a marina, an online mooring or continuous cruising? Reason for asking is that yes, boats can be a cheap and (maybe) cheerful aquisition but more often than not you may as well empty your pockets out into the canal. Don't get me wrong, I adore my boat and desperately miss her when i'm on land but despite plenty of reading up and research, 4 years on I'm still surprised at how much money I have to throw at her.

You balked at £800 for a hireboat - well, that's around the yearly cost of your BW license. Then there's insurance, survey, boat safety cert, hull blacking, replacing batteries, diesel, gas, and all sorts of bits and bobs that tend to pack up and need replacing all at the same time!

Sorry if this sounds all a bit negative but so many people assume that living on a boat is a cheaper way of living than having a house - but hey ho, none of this is relevant if your boat is going to be your hobby.

Good luck!

Anna

thanks anna, for your possertive views.

money,as ive being a handyman (on and off) for about 25 years now,i have my our men so to say,plumbers,gas safe men,sparkys,roofers,window fitters,illtract my work out and also rent me house out (4 bed).

what im after doing is (renting)living on a boat for(cc orget a mooring) a week,a month,a year than decide thats what i want.

thanks trev

ps

this computer is doing me in im trying to type above and its just deleting what ive wrote and wont let me put thing in(other words),ill get there in the end,lol