'President' on the move

Midnight Rider

Featured Posts

President passed us today with butty in opposite direction to us at Tamworth on the Coventry. It would happen to be on a narrowish bit with a moored cruiser nearby but we all managed to avoid crushing it.

I have pictures on the phone. Once I learn how to I will try and post them.

Actually, being a softy office based type for 50 weeks of the year, by the end of a coal run, 'dirty and aggressively uncommunicative' are distinct possibilities. Normality is recovered via the BW showers and copious amounts of London Pride. So far no lice or abscesses, but usually a chunk out of the head from failing to effectively duck under the crossbeams.

Sounds good except for the London Pride; surely something more potable is available en route?

President is very successful at attracting attention to the canals and the Black Country museum and it's crew have always been friendly and informative, in my experience, unlike others who treat their trust boats like a private timeshare party boat.

I'm not really into the fancy dress (though I always wore a headscarf, just like Rose's, when towing Lucy) but the "uniform" worn by the President mob does no harm and also creates a recognisable "corporate" image so you can spot them anywhere, in a show, no matter how far away from the boat they are.

Just because the anoraks discuss the authenticity of a rebuild does not mean we don't recognise it as a "good thing", overall.

Found this posted on the local news site here in Burton this morning about President getting stuck in Fradley apparently.

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/News/Boat-beached-in-Fradley-on-way-to-Jubilee-party-24042012.htm

Anyone actually know anything more technical about this "grounding"? Why didn't they flush the boat out of the lock, where they stuck in the short pound waiting as they filled the next lock or is there really something down there? I didn't have any bother with Victoria which is just as deep (if not possibly deeper, but I've not had chance to run around President with a measure!)

Obviously a slow news day! Boats get stuck every day!

Mike

President was here in Braunston yesterday, arrived about 7pm.

From a distance, all I could see was huge clouds of (what I thought was) smoke, and a load of people all gathered around the iron bridge... My first thought was that someone's boat was on fire, until I got closer, and realised it was this boat with it's huge chimney...

I must admit I didn't actually realise what I was looking at until I read this thread, but now I know! :blush:

Edited by Starcoaster