'President' on the move

Midnight Rider

Featured Posts

Quite surprised that it's not got a mention here, but President is on her way to London from the Potteries.

Stone yesterday & it stopped at Fradley today & attracted a lot of visitors, including some in vintage cars.

Good to see it & it's cargo of Staffordshire goods, including a mini JCB, although I can't see the beer lasting all the way to London.

The dogs expression says much.

Bowler hats anyone . . ? Oh - sorry, no, it's red neckerchiefs.

As mobile exhibitions go, the boats do draw a crowd. But their movements are frequent and so not likely to draw much in the way of comment. Apologies for the slight cynicism.

Derek

Edited by Derek R.

I happened to see it roll up in Stone whilst visiting the chandlers yesterday. There was a few people turned out to have a look. I was lucky & got invited on board after sticking my nose through the hatch & saying hello. I had the workings of the steam engine explained & a bit of a demo. She is a fantastic boat & I really enjoyed seeing it. :cheers:

Quite surprised that it's not got a mention here, but President is on her way to London from the Potteries.

Stone yesterday & it stopped at Fradley today & attracted a lot of visitors, including some in vintage cars.

Good to see it & it's cargo of Staffordshire goods, including a mini JCB, although I can't see the beer lasting all the way to London.

Camera broken Tony??? ;)

I happened to see it roll up in Stone whilst visiting the chandlers yesterday. There was a few people turned out to have a look. I was lucky & got invited on board after sticking my nose through the hatch & saying hello. I had the workings of the steam engine explained & a bit of a demo. She is a fantastic boat & I really enjoyed seeing it. :cheers:

Yes,

Whilst I know the red neckerchiefs and bowler hats are not to the tastes of some of our members (!), my experience says at least the "President & Kildare" crews do try quite hard to engage their public - surely their main raison d'etre ?

Some of the other "friends of" type crews operating historic boats under trust don't always seem to do as well, and I see little point in old boats being boated around by people who have little interest in engaging the public at large, (or indeed who can manage to upset other boaters!....)

Even as a private individual with an old boat, I think that it is important to realise that you are boating around in a historic artefact that actually quite a lot of people are keen to know about, if you take the time to engage them.

We may not have the bowler, (well maybe just sometimes, in jest! :rolleyes: ), or the neckerchiefs, but I always try and make the effort if people want to know, and I commend the "trust" and "freiends of" type people when they manage to do the same.

• Greenie 2

I'm surprised too. Saw a couple of items on the BBC News website yesterday and was going to post the links, but just assumed others would have been way ahead of me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-17773413

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17113552

Edited to add: the Central report is better.

Edited by Québec

Yes,

Whilst I know the red neckerchiefs and bowler hats are not to the tastes of some of our members (!), my experience says at least the "President & Kildare" crews do try quite hard to engage their public - surely their main raison d'etre ?

Some of the other "friends of" type crews operating historic boats under trust don't always seem to do as well, and I see little point in old boats being boated around by people who have little interest in engaging the public at large, (or indeed who can manage to upset other boaters!....)

Even as a private individual with an old boat, I think that it is important to realise that you are boating around in a historic artefact that actually quite a lot of people are keen to know about, if you take the time to engage them.

We may not have the bowler, (well maybe just sometimes, in jest! :rolleyes: ), or the neckerchiefs, but I always try and make the effort if people want to know, and I commend the "trust" and "freiends of" type people when they manage to do the same.

I agree with your view on this entirely Alan.

While one can be tempted to yawn :tired: The fact is that the pair are a sight that commands attention and is a great attraction to anyone using the canal.

I have to say that I have in the past heard so many tales (almost always from dyed in the wool boaters) about the crew of President expecting to be treated like royalty and jumpng lock queues etc. I have only encountered the pair once while we were boating and the experience was far removed from the expectations I had based on what other boaters had told me.

We were leaving The Autherley Festival and had joined the queue of boats waiting to pass through the stop lock. Janet s & RJ had been playing on the canal in "Wet Betsy" their inflatable dingy throughout the day and they happened to say they had never actually done a lock in her (Well you wouldn't would you? - unless you are Janet S that is :lol: ) We soon realised that boh Carrie~Lou & Wet Betsy would fit in the lock together and as it is a stop lock with a drop of only a few inches we knew we could allow them to pass through the lock at the same time as us and remain completely safe and yet still tick a box on their bucket list :clapping: .

Wet Betsy joined the queue for the lock behind us and other boats came behind them. Preseident & Kildare had set off and came alongside us. We had seen what was happening and (wrongly) assumed that they were wanting to jump the queue. In fact they had simply formed a second line to the queue by coming alongside us because further back the queue was in danger of causing some serious congestion. The crew steadied the pair alongside making sure the crew in Wet Betsy were not crushed and when the lock was available they simply allowed everyone else to move forward and took their place.

I think that sometimes people misinterpret the requirements of space and channel that an old deep draughted boat towing a butty needs for arrogance and when it comes packaged in what some people interpret as a fancy dress costume it is easy to poke fun.

It also makes me wonder of the arrogant behaviour we heard so much of has ever actually happened or has just become part of boating folklore passed by word of mouth from one boater to another(and that is not an excuse for anyone to turn this thread which celebrates something very positive into a "lets knock President" thread by any trolls out there)

I would like to think that when Dave and I manage to get out and about on NB Python later in the year (Chesterfield Canal Trust) we can do our bit to engage the public (but I don't plan on wearing a neckerchief to do so)

Camera broken Tony??? ;)

Even with your helpful tips Martin, I haven't yet got to grips with posting photos. I did take a few on my mobile, but nothing exiting.

I intended to walk up towards Kings Bromley & see them on the move but the buggers arrived early & were moored up by the time I arrived.

Even though some on here see it as a bit of a bore, it does attract the general public, Fradley was packed, car parks full & no doubt the Swan & cafes did a good trade. Also a couple of trading boats there. The theatre of it all may not be to everyone's taste, but if it brings people to the canal side to spent money & get interested, it can't be a bad thing.

Even with your helpful tips Martin, I haven't yet got to grips with posting photos. I did take a few on my mobile, but nothing exiting.

I intended to walk up towards Kings Bromley & see them on the move but the buggers arrived early & were moored up by the time I arrived.

Even though some on here see it as a bit of a bore, it does attract the general public, Fradley was packed, car parks full & no doubt the Swan & cafes did a good trade. Also a couple of trading boats there. The theatre of it all may not be to everyone's taste, but if it brings people to the canal side to spent money & get interested, it can't be a bad thing.

:cheers:

It's a pity (IMHO) that the Josher steamer in question is being touted around as the last example of an FMC steamer when the steam plant is wrong, and as for its name? Don't get me started.

It's as bad as people who crewed a working boat in the 60s for a few weeks or tried the Gravel Run in the 80s whilst going home each night for their dinner writing books and revelling in their version of history being accepted as fact.

Still if Mel Gibson can become the world authority on Scottish history ...... why not?

However like I said IMHO

Zenataomm

Given the crowds and the interest was there anything at all publicising the new CaRT?

I wasn't there, but I bet there wasn't.....and, if so, that was an opportunity missed.

Happy to be proved wrong.

Edited by Québec

Given the crowds and the interest was there anything at all publicising the new CaRT?

I wasn't there, but I bet there wasn't.....and, if so, that was an opportunity missed.

Happy to be proved wrong.

Short answer ---- no

IWA people & BW volunteers, but no stand ---- but there again are BW doing anything to publicise there new status?

It's a pity (IMHO) that the Josher steamer in question is being touted around as the last example of an FMC steamer when the steam plant is wrong, and as for its name? Don't get me started.

Zenataomm

As well as agreeing with what Alan Fincher posted I also tend to agree with what you have posted. I do not know the exact history of this boat but I do know that the ture history of the boat is not exactly what it is portrayed to be and I do have issues with that.

The majority of historic boats have, over the years, had some conversion done to them and in some instances they have led many different existances undergong some sort of modifications with each change. Horse drawn boats had motors added and later changed. They often worked for several different fleets changing livery (and sometimes name) with each change of ownership. They had cabins fitted, often to start with wooden topped then later changed to steel. They have been shorted and lengthened. Butties have been made into powered craft. The majority of early narrow boats have been around the block a few times when it comes to modifications.

To the general public who have little idea of what place these boats have in our history (and wonder at how anyone survives life on board a boat when it must be so cold in winter) They need really only want to know how old a boat is, where and why it was built and what it's purpose was. To condense the entire metamorphosis of a boat throughout it's life into a format that is understandable and interesting to someone who would not realise the reasons for the various changes it is probably easier to pick the most interesting period of a boats history and possibly it's most unique features in order to capture the interest of the audience. Generally as well the potted history is done by word of mouth in a few moments at a lock or as someone is passing and so it they were to start giving chapter and verse they would either run out of time or witness the glazed look of the person enquiring as they lose the will to live!

I think it is very wrong that any boat is portrayed as something that it is not, even in the interests of marketing. I did do a very quick google to find out a few historic facts on "The President" and the details I found led me to believe that what I was reading did not give the full picture but rather the concept that has been chosen as that which should be portrayed but as I am no expert on historic boats I would not know the fact from the fiction and I think it is a very great shame if the true facts are being deliberately concealed from those people who want to know.

(snipped)

Still if Mel Gibson can become the world authority on Scottish history ...... why not?

However like I said IMHO

Zenataomm

Reminds me of the

's version of William Wallace's fate. Starts around 5m 20sec and runs for a few minutes. History corrected!

snip...

To the general public who have little idea of what place these boats have in our history (and wonder at how anyone survives life on board a boat when it must be so cold in winter) They need really only want to know how old a boat is, where and why it was built and what it's purpose was. To condense the entire metamorphosis of a boat throughout it's life into a format that is understandable and interesting to someone who would not realise the reasons for the various changes it is probably easier to pick the most interesting period of a boats history and possibly it's most unique features in order to capture the interest of the audience. Generally as well the potted history is done by word of mouth in a few moments at a lock or as someone is passing and so it they were to start giving chapter and verse they would either run out of time or witness the glazed look of the person enquiring as they lose the will to live!

I think it is very wrong that any boat is portrayed as something that it is not, even in the interests of marketing. I did do a very quick google to find out a few historic facts on "The President" and the details I found led me to believe that what I was reading did not give the full picture but rather the concept that has been chosen as that which should be portrayed but as I am no expert on historic boats I would not know the fact from the fiction and I think it is a very great shame if the true facts are being deliberately concealed from those people who want to know.

On Kennet, we now have very simple information about the boat's history displayed on a banner tied over the sheets, but I have also written a short history of the canal, with full details of Kennet, as well as information about heritage items you can see walking along the towpath. It is A5, 24 pages in full colour and sells for £3, which provides the L&LCS with some income to help maintain Kennet, as well as providing better information for those who are more interested. It also sells quite well from our stand, even without Kennet being there.

Kennet is currently on Snaygill dock being repainted, and is still on target for 'relaunch' at the heritage weekend at Burscough 23/24 June. See you there???

Hmm Highly "Factual" and not researched well. Built in Staffordshire?? Only remaining steam driven narrowboat etc, "unique"?

Are the people that moan about the historical inaccuracy of this boat and it's excursions so blinkered that they can't see the value in this kind of enactment?

if it engages the public it is good. If anyone wants to research further then they can easily find more rigorous history. This isn't history, this is 2012. It is giving people a glimpse.

Do you think the crew should be lice ridden, dirty and aggressively uncommunicative in the interests of historical accuracy. Maybe a tooth abscess or two would add to the authenticity.

Why do people who think they know the 'facts' moan that someone else doesn't. Why watch if you know it all anyway?

Are the people that moan about the historical inaccuracy of this boat and it's excursions so blinkered that they can't see the value in this kind of enactment?

if it engages the public it is good. If anyone wants to research further then they can easily find more rigorous history. This isn't history, this is 2012. It is giving people a glimpse.

Do you think the crew should be lice ridden, dirty and aggressively uncommunicative in the interests of historical accuracy. Maybe a tooth abscess or two would add to the authenticity.

Why do people who think they know the 'facts' moan that someone else doesn't. Why watch if you know it all anyway?

There was a thread way back...which I can't find....which discussed at length the whole issue of conservation/preservation/historical accuracy etc.

As The Beatles sang: " misunderstanding all you see.... nothing is real and nothing to get hung about".

Edited by Québec

Snip

Snip

Actually, being a softy office based type for 50 weeks of the year, by the end of a coal run, 'dirty and aggressively uncommunicative' are distinct possibilities. Normality is recovered via the BW showers and copious amounts of London Pride. So far no lice or abscesses, but usually a chunk out of the head from failing to effectively duck under the crossbeams.