Middlewich dilema

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Can I tap you for your help once again?

We have been progressing well with the improvements at Middlewich Narrowboats. Thanks to all of you who have chugged by and passed comment on the changes, your support is so heartening.

I have had to make a few hard decisions lately. I seems that I am going to have to fight hard to save the boats I now call heritage fleet. These boats are my favourite by a long, long way, so much character. Trouble is, these boats are not the most popular with the modern customer who prefer more inside space, than engine room.

This means that, of the four, I will have to sell off at least one or perhaps two of them.

Larch, the Steve Hudson Tug will be staying but the remaining boats will have a full refit.

Holly, 4 berth inc boatsmans cabin. (famously stollen and recovered)

Willow, 6 berth inc boatsmans cabin. (Roger Farringdon, Ivybridge Marine)

Maple, 8 berth inc boatsmans cabin. (Malcolm Webster built scale copy of a Wollwich working boat)

Bookings on all of these are a little lacklustre. None have a permanent double bed.

People who take out these old boats either dislike them and book for next time on a modern boat or they adore them.

You can’t get boats like this from the big corporations, I feel I need to make this fleet work, so Intend to reduce the number of boats, and go to town on both the interior and exterior, to bling them up to the best they possibly can be. e.g.-

http://www.facebook.com/Middlewichboats#!/photo.php?fbid=356068564432498&set=a.301046319934723.69626.287925101246845&type=1&theater

The hulls are all good, you folks know them, Which would you keep?

Chuggy

Hey Chuggy

Id deffo keep Larch...

i would prob get rid of maple to be honest.. i brought this boat back from Birmingham a few years back i had been taken down there by the scouts. Had massive problems then. and was in a bit of a state then. not sure wot its like now,. although did se it moored at Nantwich easter weekend looked ok.

Hi all,

We have been progressing well with the improvements at Middlewich Narrowboats. Thanks to all of you who have chugged by and passed comment on the changes, your support is so heartening.

I have had to make a few hard decisions lately. I seems that I am going to have to fight hard to save the boats I now call heritage fleet. These boats are my favourite by a long, long way, so much character. Trouble is, these boats are not the most popular with the modern customer who prefer more inside space, than engine room.

This means that, of the four, I will have to sell off at least one or perhaps two of them.

Larch, the Steve Hudson Tug will be staying but the remaining boats will have a full refit.

Maple, 8 berth inc boatsmans cabin. (Malcolm Webster built scale copy of a Wollwich working boat)

Bookings on all of these are a little lacklustre. None have a permanent double bed.

People who take out these old boats either dislike them and book for next time on a modern boat or they adore them.

You can’t get boats like this from the big corporations, I feel I need to make this fleet work, so Intend to reduce the number of boats, and go to town on both the interior and exterior, to bling them up to the best they possibly can be. e.g.-

http://www.facebook.com/Middlewichboats#!/photo.php?fbid=356068564432498&set=a.301046319934723.69626.287925101246845&type=1&theater

Chuggy

Willow has a permanent double bed...I know because we hired it before we had our own. It was very shabby at the time but we still loved it and look out for it every time we go out and about.

Which two, out of the three, have been most popular with your customers?

If you have your 'books' from the past couple of years which 2 have been hired out the most? You should then get your answer :)

I have never hired any of the Middlewich boats, but have steered Maple. She is a real gem to handle .......... lovely long swims.

I wouldn't have a problem with the internal layout, or the corrugated hull shape !! - If you are thinking of selling please advertise on here ..................

Dump them all. You're a business not a museum.

Yeah dump 'em, I'll look after one for you and I won't even charge :P

I hired Willow in 2008, it had concrete slabs opposite the engine in an attempt to stop it listing.

Yeah dump 'em, I'll look after one for you and I won't even charge :P

I hired Willow in 2008, it had concrete slabs opposite the engine in an attempt to stop it listing.

Hahahaha...I remember the listing, we paid to have the bog pumped out 'cos we thought that was what it was, made no difference!

Hahahaha...I remember the listing, we paid to have the bog pumped out 'cos we thought that was what it was, made no difference!

Tee hee, we paid for a pump out too, we thought it hadn't been done before we left base, not because of the list, it was extra stinky :sick:

<snip>

Might I suggest that maybe it would be a good idea to give your potential customers what they want.

I think repeat custom is the statistic to look at along with any feedback comments from the customers who hated the boats.

I ahve never been on any of them either but used to see them regularly when that my my local boating area. It will be a shame to see them go but the boats will be loved by whoever puchases them because of what they are and it is most important that the fleet survives and is viable.

What you have to weigh up is, would the likes of me come back to Middlewich again if your boats were all the same style as I could hire from any other hire company in the country..... :closedeyes:

As I've mentioned here previously I've hired 'Maple' several times and 'Larch' the once. Loved everything about Maple. The layout, the character, the handling (though not the breakdowns.... :rolleyes:), Larch on the other hand was far to twee for our crew's liking. We have a background of crewing ex working narrow boats and did chuckle at that sink in the table cupboard... :rolleyes: .

I believe there is a demand for this type of boat. The problem is that Middlewich have lost the goodwill of the likes of me and my friends as regular, return hirers, through their reputation of scruffy appearance and breakdowns, that and the dreadful diesel stoves.....

I believe the customers you are currently attracting are probably first timers (to Middlewich, not necessarily to boating) who know nothing of the company's recent past. These types are the ones least likely to settle for the idiosyncracies of Maple.

I feel that if you rebuild the boats to an acceptable standard, or replace with new build to a similar traditional character (Maple that is, not Larch), and repair the company's reputation, then my type will be beating a trail to your door.... :cheers:

Personally, I would analyse in some detail what the clientèle don't like about them. For instance there have been two comments about one listing, sort it!.

Perhaps I would market these boats to a different clientèle. There are many on here who prefer old boats, and in your initial posts on this site were quite vociferous about retaining them. Contact them for help.

I personally like the concept of an engine room, but thats purely personal. However diesel stoves?, I think not hated these on seagoing yachts. Too much of a learning curve for most people !

I might be tempted to hire these boats to clubs (scouts sea scouts, training related activity, or as bases for some of the canal restoration societies who organise working groups as mobile bases, canteen, and restroom facilities). Your name on the boats would provide valuable advertising. There is even a very active Derby and Joan club in my area, who are looking at ways for groups to explore the canals, their one bugbear being disabled access.

What about advertising directly to niche markets, perhaps nostalgic antipodeans, or in the US nostalgia press?

As others have said I would look to upgrade the interiors to provide more comfort and modcons where viable.

Another idea is that there are several people on this site who want to rent a narrowboat on lease as a liveaboard, or to test the feasibility of living aboard. From other perusals on other sites this also seems to be a growing area of interest.

Disposals, If you do decide to sell on some of these boats, please try to sell to the enthusiast market !. Oh and what would you replace them with?, more modern Kitcraft?, or perhaps something from the modern handcrafted suppliers (Norton Canes?).. Just more thoughts.

But as others have said you are trying to run a business in a difficult leisure market, so the decision will be difficult whatever you do.

Edited by larkshall

Personally, I would analyse in some detail what the clientèle don't like about them. For instance there have been two comments about one listing, sort it!.

Perhaps I would market these boats to a different clientèle. There are many on here who prefer old boats, and in your initial posts on this site were quite vociferous about retaining them. Contact them for help.

I personally like the concept of an engine room, but thats purely personal. However diesel stoves?, I think not hated these on seagoing yachts. Too much of a learning curve for most people !

I might be tempted to hire these boats to clubs (scouts sea scouts, training related activity, or as bases for some of the canal restoration societies who organise working groups as mobile bases, canteen, and restroom facilities). Your name on the boats would provide valuable advertising. There is even a very active Derby and Joan club in my area, who are looking at ways for groups to explore the canals, their one bugbear being disabled access.

What about advertising directly to niche markets, perhaps nostalgic antipodeans, or in the US nostalgia press?

As others have said I would look to upgrade the interiors to provide more comfort and modcons where viable.

Another idea is that there are several people on this site who want to rent a narrowboat on lease as a liveaboard, or to test the feasibility of living aboard. From other perusals on other sites this also seems to be a growing area of interest.

Disposals, If you do decide to sell on some of these boats, please try to sell to the enthusiast market !. Oh and what would you replace them with?, more modern Kitcraft?, or perhaps something from the modern handcrafted suppliers (Norton Canes?).. Just more thoughts.

But as others have said you are trying to run a business in a difficult leisure market, so the decision will be difficult whatever you do.

More than happy to offer my services.... :cheers:

Might I suggest that maybe it would be a good idea to give your potential customers what they want.

This statement is as fickle as the real ale one. Pubs that offer run of the mill beer get run of the mill customers. If one place is more popular than the next mediocre pub, then perhaps they'll survive. Do something different to all the rest with interesting guest beers, and interact with your customers and the clientele will (hopefully) flock in to what sometimes are the most unlikely pubs....

Tee hee, we paid for a pump out too, we thought it hadn't been done before we left base, not because of the list, it was extra stinky :sick:

Must have been the week after our vindaloo cruise.... :cheers:

I would not get rid of 'Holly'. All the other Heritage boats are very long, so 'Holly' at 47 feet gives a wider choice to hirers, especially those who would be nervous of taking something 60+ feet long along the canals. That would include me, as I have never steered a boat longer than 47 feet.

Hi all,

Chuggy

Hi

You have to give joe public what they want to a certain extent. I would never hire one as for me engine rooms are a pain in the butt. However there are a minority of people out there who do like them and I for one didnt even know you had any. I have worked with two hire fleets and been on the canals for over twenty years and didnt know those boats where available. If you decide to keep them perhaps a seperate advertising campaign to target likely hirers rather than as I am guessing you do now and have them in your standard hire literature ? might be an option.

Tim

What Tim McSmelly says makes a lot of sense. If he, an experienced canal user of many years' standing, did not know about the trad-style boats, what chance have Kevin and Tracy Public got of finding out about them?

PUBLICITY!!!!

Hi

You have to give joe public what they want to a certain extent. I would never hire one as for me engine rooms are a pain in the butt. However there are a minority of people out there who do like them and I for one didnt even know you had any. I have worked with two hire fleets and been on the canals for over twenty years and didnt know those boats where available. If you decide to keep them perhaps a seperate advertising campaign to target likely hirers rather than as I am guessing you do now and have them in your standard hire literature ? might be an option.

Tim

Good idea :cheers:

As an occasional traveller up that way, (we have just been there last week), I do see these boats about, but don't know them well.

I'll be blunt and say that some people's lack of enthusiasm for them may be not the actual idea or layout of the boat, but what appears to be the very scruffy presentation of some of them.

Not absolutely sure which one we watched through a lock this time, but it was one of the long ones, probably "Willow" ? It had what I assumed to be an SR3 in what looked a disgustingly horrible engine room, full of all sorts of old rubbish, and externally had things like a completely crushed chimney, (and possibly knackered fenders, I'm not sure).

Isn't it likely if people have sought out a vaguely "traditional style" boat with engine room , and separate controls, they might like to be seen on something that is at least moderately well presented ?

Done up to a better standard, and well advertised, I'd expect these to have appeal. However, if the one I saw is representative, unless the hire charge is seriously low, I don't think I'd be booking it. (And a "traditional style" boat would otherwise be a high selling point with me, and I don't seek high levels of comfort or total "pristine-ness", but I do have some standards!).

What Tim McSmelly says makes a lot of sense. If he, an experienced canal user of many years' standing, did not know about the trad-style boats, what chance have Kevin and Tracy Public got of finding out about them?

PUBLICITY!!!!

It may be a good idea to revisit your website as there is no mention that it has been under NEW MANAGEMENT for over a year

Middlewich Narrowboats, traditional narrow boat hire holidays since 1971

Narrow boat hire from Middlewich Narrowboats Narrow boat hire from Middlewich NarrowboatsOur company has been running since 1971, and we are a small family run business. Every customer will be dealt with by a member of staff. We are not a central booking office.

We have a variety of narrow boat hire boats from fully modernised narrow boats with facilities for ipods and games consoles etc, to fully traditional style narrow boats with traditional style boatman's cabins with solid stoves and authentic canalboat engines.

All of our staff have in depth knowledge of the boats and the waterways. We are at the very hub of the famous, historic canal system of the North West and from our base - 3 main routes radiate, see our Cheshire Ring, Four Counties Ring and Llangollen Canal Routes pages

The impression created is that it is still run by the previous owners

Edited by Offcumden

Traditional boats are clearly a niche market but as other posters have already said maybe a lot of your problems are down to condition and presentation. Maybe a tidy up and even a 're-branding' exercise would help.

The chap who runs the Canal Shop at Whilton had (has?) a small hire fleet of traditional boats (linkwhich he seems to have some success with. Perhaps he'd share some thoughts with you as you're in different parts of the country.

PUBLICITY!!!!

Maybe he wasn't thinking of hiring a trad style boat. Why would he hear about it if he wasn't looking for it?

Isn't it likely if people have sought out a vaguely "traditional style" boat with engine room , and separate controls, they might like to be seen on something that is at least moderately well presented ?

Include a tin of Brasso and a bundle of dusters with each hirer's welome kit! Even better, include them in the turn-around cleaner's kit.

I am of course being moderately fa(e)cetious. I'm sure, from his previous posts, that Chuggy has taken steps to ensure that the boats look clean and bright.

Include a tin of Brasso and a bundle of dusters with each hirer's welome kit! Even better, include them in the turn-around cleaner's kit.

I am of course being moderately fa(e)cetious. I'm sure, from his previous posts, that Chuggy has taken steps to ensure that the boats look clean and bright.

And give them a steam cleaner to use on the engine, and a hammer to beat the exhaust back to something approaching straight ?

Or a voucher for a fendermaking course ?

The boat I saw has some considerable way to go before it will stop looking very dowdy compared to many other hire boats operating in the same area. I can't remember now exactly what old clutter was in engine room, but noted it looked neither "good" nor "traditional". Did I see stacks of concrete slab, or was that a different boat ?

I know this may seem rude, but I'm hoping the OP wants honesty, rather than relying on what they admit is not enough takers for the boats as they are currently presented and marketed.