Marina Service Charges

jelunga

Featured Posts

Had a chat with another forum member and Marina charges for services came up.

I was astonished to hear that the marina he moors at and pays not insignificant mooring fees to, charges £1 each time to use the shower and then limits to 7 minutes. They get cleaned only a few times a week. They also add a "service charge" onto the electric unit price. This does seem to be breaking the law on re selling ekectric since it is basically just a unit price increase. and some charge for elsan disposal.

It makes Me realise just how good the deal is with our BWML mooring.

Toilets and showers cleaned daily and included in price. Free elsan point. Elec service charge of 12p per day. Unit price about 8p per unit.

Maybe I should not complain too much when there is a little problem sometimes?

On top of the mooring, if we are "daily users", we have to pay an extra fee of just short of £390 a year inc, electric is currently 19ppkwh, but at least the showers and elsan are 'free'.(and very nice showers if you use them)

Toilets and showers cleaned daily and included in price. Free elsan point. Elec service charge of 12p per day. Unit price about 8p per unit.

Indeed, Sawley is an excellent offer - there is little to complain about - though occasionally some blasted fellow moorer uses really cheap, dirty coal on their boat - creating sulphurous nasties (:rolleyes:)

Indeed, Sawley is an excellent offer - there is little to complain about - though occasionally some blasted fellow moorer uses really cheap, dirty coal on their boat - creating sulphurous nasties (:rolleyes:)

Not me bwana, not me :)

Not me bwana, not me :)

Now look sahib.

Your name gives it away, coal burner!

On top of the mooring, if we are "daily users", we have to pay an extra fee of just short of £390 a year inc, electric is currently 19ppkwh, but at least the showers and elsan are 'free'.(and very nice showers if you use them)

That proce per unit is robbery and most likely illegal. Give trading standards a call. I think they investigate this problem.

Had a chat with another forum member and Marina charges for services came up.

I was astonished to hear that the marina he moors at and pays not insignificant mooring fees to, charges £1 each time to use the shower and then limits to 7 minutes. They get cleaned only a few times a week. They also add a "service charge" onto the electric unit price. This does seem to be breaking the law on re selling ekectric since it is basically just a unit price increase. and some charge for elsan disposal.

Paying for showers seems a little harsh. Ours are free and have just been refurbished to an exceptionally high standard. We pay a service charge on our electric however we buy cards of either £10 or £14 denominations and the meters take the charge along with your electric use. Ours isnt too bad, we use maybe 3 £14 cards per year.

Each marina works differently. Ours does seem to be quite good compared to some in the area and does have a high standard of finsh and a regular maintanence schedule to keep on top of running repairs.

Our only main issue with our marina at the minute is that our berth needs dredging. Our berth is in a high traffic area, all boats leaving the marina go past our berth, the resulting silt and crap from the bottom stirred up by the bigger boats seems to be settling in our berth so we are starting to clip the bottom each time we leave and arrive back at our berth.

Now look sahib.

Your name gives it away, coal burner!

That proce per unit is robbery and most likely illegal. Give trading standards a call. I think they investigate this problem.

Trouble is these 'daily user' charges or whatever they want to call them are basically (in my experience) an unofficial levy for living aboard. I once had a winter mooring where I was expected to pay 50 quid/month extra for 'use of facilities' on top of the regular mooring fee. I was under no illusions as to what it was for. The fact that it was payable in cash and no receipt was issued didn't surprise me either.

They rely on the fact that people don't want to draw much attention to the fact that they're living aboard unofficially.

Paying for showers seems a little harsh. Ours are free and have just been refurbished to an exceptionally high standard. We pay a service charge on our electric however we buy cards of either £10 or £14 denominations and the meters take the charge along with your electric use. Ours isnt too bad, we use maybe 3 £14 cards per year.

Each marina works differently. Ours does seem to be quite good compared to some in the area and does have a high standard of finsh and a regular maintanence schedule to keep on top of running repairs.

Our only main issue with our marina at the minute is that our berth needs dredging. Our berth is in a high traffic area, all boats leaving the marina go past our berth, the resulting silt and crap from the bottom stirred up by the bigger boats seems to be settling in our berth so we are starting to clip the bottom each time we leave and arrive back at our berth.

Are you sure that 'Naughty Cal' isn't putting on weight? :P

Time for a "water injection dredge" without the injection. Tie up to the side securely and put the engine in gear = redistribute the silt where it came.

Those blasted fellow moorers,how dare they. :captain:

I can't believe people get charged extra for a shower!

And a 7 minute limit!!!

I wouldn't even have my hair washed! What if the water goes cold/hot (not from any recent problems the showers here had....honest) do you get extra time?

Is there a countdown style musical warning so you know when to rinse the suds off??

I can't believe people get charged extra for a shower!

And a 7 minute limit!!!

I wouldn't even have my hair washed! What if the water goes cold/hot (not from any recent problems the showers here had....honest) do you get extra time?

Is there a countdown style musical warning so you know when to rinse the suds off??

Ah - - no - - the current system is (in our marina)

The water will either stop flowing 10 seconds after you've just applied conditioner, or it goes cold just after you've applied a goodly dollop of shampoo.

PS - - did you ever get your 'scratching noises' sorted - Petal?

Ah - - no - - the current system is (in our marina)

The water will either stop flowing 10 seconds after you've just applied conditioner, or it goes cold just after you've applied a goodly dollop of shampoo.

PS - - did you ever get your 'scratching noises' sorted - Petal?

True about the showers lol!

Yes i've decided to ignore the noises, so much easier :)