'Rolt's Cottage'

Featured Posts

Any of you sleuth's know where the cottage referred to in Narrow Boat resides/resided? Tom described it as

"a single diminutive cottage perched upon the strip of greensward flanking the road".

I've been up and down the high street numerous times and haven't a clue where it is/was....

have you looked on an old OS map?

I have access to the 1940s maps and there are plenty of cottages, some with names. Any other clues?

I know several people in their late sixties who have lived in Braunston all their life, I will ask when I next see one of them. Of course it is possible that it is no longer there as a number of cottages have been demolished over the years.

There's more description in Narrow Boat which gives many further clues. I'll summarise the salient points when I've dug the book out. Meanwhile I'll see if i can track down an old OS 10,000:1 map or whatever....

There's more description in Narrow Boat which gives many further clues. I'll summarise the salient points when I've dug the book out. Meanwhile I'll see if i can track down an old OS 10,000:1 map or whatever....

Hi, please try this website <<http://www.old-maps.co.uk>>

I used it on a similar quest to yours, to find my Grandparents smallholding in Cheshire.

Offers the facility to switch between old map and current aerial photo - I came to know the site

from this forum I think, really useful, thanks to whoever passed it on.

good luck,

Neil

Unfortunately, when I tried 'old-maps', Braunston is suspiciously black - I guess outside their area of coverage. The eastern portal of Braunston tunnel is there, but not the village itself.

I have the maps 2500:1 upwards from 1846 onwards to 2006, butunfortunately due to copyright i can publish them here and i cant link to them, i could email an image to someone, if you tell me which bit of the town you think the cottage is in. there are 3 near the canal, and one named by the village green.

Unfortunately, when I tried 'old-maps', Braunston is suspiciously black - I guess outside their area of coverage. The eastern portal of Braunston tunnel is there, but not the village itself.

That's a pity, would have been interesting to overlay old and new maps, and see aerial photo. Redstarafloat

has the 25"/mile Northamptonshire maps that should answer your question, if cottage not demolished before map sheets last revised.

For benefit of anyone seeking old maps I list below those with which I used to work during the 1970's that are now in Public Records Office / National Collection domain.

Should your research lead you to the Public Records Office there are 3 map resources there, or outstationed from there, that used to deal with the ancient land tax known as Tithes, that may be helpful.

When the Tithe Redemption Office closed in 1978, at Worthing Sussex, a full set of first edition 6"/mile maps covering whole of England and Wales was collected, also a full set of 25"/mile maps on which all tithe rentchargeable fields / land parcels were mapped, many sheets dating from 1900 or thereabouts, otheres from 1930's or 1950's. All in good order then, linen backed and rolled, stored in racks.

The original hand drawn parish maps prepared for the 1836 Commutation of Tithes act England and Wales, often surveyed and drawn on horseback, and very often hand decorated in colour with beautiful drawings of local features - We had them all on microfiche film copies - these may or may not survive today. The originals are well worth seeing though. See website for National Archives, request Tithe Maps.

These are probably the nearest national collection of detailed local maps relating to the

Canal Age.

Neil

These posts have triggered an idea. I'll try to get into the Northamptonshire Records Office and have a look there. I've used the Inclosure Awards and 1910 Finance Act extensively in Rights of Way research and they are a good source of information.

:)

redstarafloat don't suppose you have any old maps of the Brinklow area circa 1900-1920?

i know a lady you could make very happy if you could turn one up.

Is that the one near Coventry? I have the County series 2nd revision 1906-1939 1:2500, but not the 1924-1939 3rd revision.

and a 1889 -1914 1:10560 scale and the 1900-1949 revision.

Some of the later revisions and scales do not cover areas outside of main cities but I can usually get good coverage of anywhere in England. I am at work now (bank holiday sunday and monday while its sunny outisde!) but it should be no problem to email a copy to you, or print them out and post them.

so redstarafloat you work while eveyone else plays too. it does have it upsides though,

yes the one on the north oxford canal near coventry

OS Grid Reference: SP442799 Latitude: 52N24'54" Longitude: 1W21'0"

i will have a chat with said lady and pinpoint exactly what she's looking for save wasting any of your time

thanks for the offer of some help she will really appreciate being able to move on with her research