sailingaway a sailaway

simon&jan

Featured Posts

Hello all

We are looking to purchase a sailaway from lymm and take it to lincoln by canal , would anyone think this is too big adventure for our first trip? The builder didnt believe it could be done ! But i have checked out a few maps and done canal planner, but i think hed be happier to stick on a lorry , we would prefer to spend the money saved, on the boat ! Apparently i should get an annex111a with it to get a licence, should we name her too ? Sorry about the multitude of questions !!! And thanks

Hello all

We are looking to purchase a sailaway from lymm and take it to lincoln by canal , would anyone think this is too big adventure for our first trip? The builder didnt believe it could be done ! But i have checked out a few maps and done canal planner, but i think hed be happier to stick on a lorry , we would prefer to spend the money saved, on the boat ! Apparently i should get an annex111a with it to get a licence, should we name her too ? Sorry about the multitude of questions !!! And thanks

If you sail her get some extra ballast to get her lower into the water so the prop is at the right depth.

If she's unlined make sure you've got lots of extra bedding to keep warm if you're going to sleep on her during the trip. When we moved our sail away it was unlined and in the middle of the night it was absolutely freezing.

A box of tools can be useful especially on the first trip. Within the first couple of miles we'd tightened the stern gland (and forced some grease into it - the noise was bad), tightened the drive coupling, tightened the keel tank bleed point, tightened the hose fittings onto the keel tank, and fixed a diesel leak from the shut off valve.

When we moved the boat she was in grey primer with minimal ballast and was a bit "lively". There was no name but we did have the BW number plates in the windows and also a laminated copy of the receipt for the navigation license as we'd only applied a few days before.

Edited by Chalky

Hi, We bought a sailaway from Lymm in October and sailed it back to Stafford. It took 5 days sailing all day. Your trip will take about twice as long. If you have to go on any rivers you will have to check on regulations regarding anchor, nav lights etc. You will need a headlight for tunnels and a horn as well as fenders, mooring equipment, something to cook on, etc. Also the engine and gearbox should be serviced after 50 hours(oil change)and your trip will probably take 75 hours, so bear this in mind as the 50 hours includes any time you run your engine even if not sailing. You will get a form from Lymm to licence your boat which lasts a year until you get your BSS.

Hope that helps.

Dot & Ian

A couple of pics to spur you on.

Image0275.jpg

Image0279.jpg

Edited by Tonie

Hello all

If the arse end is quite high at the water line this can make going forward and more importantly stopping quite exiting. A quick tip is to buy some cheapo plastic dustbins or water butts and place them as far aft as possible and fill them with water. :cheers:

Thanks all for quick replies! She will be fuly lined with bathroom and stove so a little bit of comfort and of course we will take full advantage of bankside pubs for refreshments! The only bit we are worried about is the last day ,keadby lock to torksey ! Would any one be able to help out

You will get a form from Lymm to licence your boat which lasts a year until you get your BSS.

Hope that helps.

That'll be the Annexiii mentioned an earlier post

A bog roll and Porta-Pottie would be first on my list. :closedeyes:

Quite a few people forget the bog roll judging by the number of boats when for the first time up for BSS examination are unable to produce their Annex iii :lol:

Thanks all for quick replies! She will be fuly lined with bathroom and stove so a little bit of comfort and of course we will take full advantage of bankside pubs for refreshments! The only bit we are worried about is the last day ,keadby lock to torksey ! Would any one be able to help out

When are you thinking date wise ?

Which route are you taking between Lymm and Keadby?

If she's unlined make sure you've got lots of extra bedding to keep warm if you're going to sleep on her during the trip. When we moved our sail away it was unlined and in the middle of the night it was absolutely freezing.

A box of tools can be useful especially on the first trip. Within the first couple of miles we'd tightened the stern gland (and forced some grease into it - the noise was bad), tightened the drive coupling, tightened the keel tank bleed point, tightened the hose fittings onto the keel tank, and fixed a diesel leak from the shut off valve.

When we moved the boat she was in grey primer with minimal ballast and was a bit "lively". There was no name but we did have the BW number plates in the windows and also a laminated copy of the receipt for the navigation license as we'd only applied a few days before.

Pretty much our findings. We had tunnels to navigate so I made a rough and ready magnteic mounted spotlight and horn unit on the roof, connected to start battery with croc clips (I can hear the groans now :) They were only connected for minutes honest.) I also took a very large CO2 fire extinguisher, and a cassete toilet.

We are looking to purchase a sailaway from lymm and take it to lincoln by canal

Would that be Lymm Boat Sales?

Did you consider ABC in Boston - a bit of a shorter journey, cheaper (for a sailaway at least) and they actually build them rather than buy in hulls off the shelf.

Just a thought.

I viewed Lymm, but went with ABC, no commercial connection otherwise. :)

PC

PS: [DRNick] Hiiiiiiiiii everybody... ;) [/DRNick]

Would that be Lymm Boat Sales?

Did you consider ABC in Boston - a bit of a shorter journey, cheaper (for a sailaway at least) and they actually build them rather than buy in hulls off the shelf.

Just a thought.

I viewed Lymm, but went with ABC, no commercial connection otherwise. :)

PC

PS: [DRNick] Hiiiiiiiiii everybody... ;) [/DRNick]

Yes i know wot you mean , but didnt fancy doing whole boat from scratch ! Does come with complete bathroom ,stove,plumbing and electrics . Just kitchen , the wifes pretty good at interiors ! Few scater cusions here and there bowl of po and a glass vase full of dead twigs ! Sorted ! As to which way , well i thought about bridgewater to rochdale to calder and hebble to aire and calder to new junction to south yorkshire to trent to fossdyke ! As it says on my map , hope there arnt too many stoppages ! Thanks again for taking the time !

Hit

keep me informed and I should be able to oblige :cheers:

Thank you kind sir , i will indeed !

If yours is like ours with the wiring in but no lights fitted may I recommend these:

BpiOgwEWkKGrHqFjMEw5DMd7ZBMOd6Q1Phw_3.jpg

They are from a seller on ebay and only cost £2 each with bulbs. They fit straight in to the holes in the roof.

May I also recommend these for connecting the wires:

unnamed.jpg

The are called Wago connectors and make fitting the lights a piece of cake, no soldering or screwdriver required.

Image0495.jpg

I fitted a few for the journey back so we had light late at night.

• 2 weeks later...

A horn on an aerosol will do you for a temporary measure...no wiring to do then,till later, and a powerfull LED torch for tunnels...with re-chargeable or spare batteries....one of you can stand on the bow with it. Aldi usually have very inexpenive LED lanterns in around this time of year....worth getting a few if lights aren't fitted, and they always come in handy later anyway! Have a fab cruise once you get to that point!! :cheers:

Thanks again for all your replies , an airhorn is a very good idea ! Luckily we have one in.the camper will.try a hand held torch for the wife am sure she wont mind standing at the bow shouting instuctions about how bad a driver i am ! Thanks again folks, sorry ladies and gentlemen!

if you need any assistance on the Bridgewater then get in touch (my mobile number is on my website - link in my siguature).

Best of luck for your trip :)

Thankyou very much for that , will let you know