Devizs to Westminster

Flocal

Featured Posts

Without the Devizes Westminster canoe race you might not be able to cruise the k and a at all. They've been there a lot longer than you.

If you keep your course and speed then that's the best thing you can do and allow these lighter and more manouverable craft to do their thing.

Or perhaps you would rather they followed you all the way breathing your diesel?

no try not just reading the parts you want to read & read the whole thing....

Now for years I used to ride off road bikes at the Army land in Aldershot...

When I saw a dog walker or Horse rider I would turn the bike off & wait till they passed asking how they were that day....

Then the chavs came with Pit Bikes & thought it was fun to upset dog walkers & horse riders, so now the whole area is wired off & the ranger will take any & every bike & have it crushed & the police patrol the area....

This was a hand full of people that screwed it up for everyone in a short time! sound familiar?

You got 1 POed boater here & when I get done with BW & the Health & Safety Executive maybe will will see what the out come is.....

I can't see how racing with no regard to anyone else is defensible to anyone but the stupid!

Maybe next year a hire boat load of drunken yobs will kill a contestant or maybe a wide beam will squish a kid or 2 girls Then the question will com up as to why this was not better marshalled/run.......

I hope you have good insurance for this event as the no win no fee boys are gona love this one.....

& if you do read my posts you will see I have said the 2 boats were going a slow as we could & directing the boats as to the best side to pass us most of the people were wasted & not that agile by the time they got near the end of the K&A... the main problem was at locks they expected us to wait until all the canoes had gone & that would have been hours & what was the rush? they were lined up trying to get the boats out & then you had the cue jumpers using the space I was trying to tie up to to get out of boats..... it was a cluster F*** at best & like I say someone is gona get hurt at some point & then it will be the narrow boat or barge that's the problem not the "RACER" with no regard for anyone else....

This post just backs up what I have been saying so I wait for your next post to see how bad all us Diesel stinking boaters are? I have found out our river fees are nothing to the massive fees a canoe has to pay to use the river......

What about the Devizes boat race, held once a year!!

:)

Didn't hear anyone says get your F***ING BOAT OUT THE WAY.......

must be a different type of person racing about at Devizes...........

by the time I tied up the person that said that had got back in the water & gone & that was lucky for him is all I can say!

64 years actually, from when the canal was abandoned and impassable to even the canoes. There was a lot more portaging in the old days.

Every competitor is a fully paid up BW license holder. Canoeists are the biggest number of PAYING users of BW waters.

Safety, no accidents ever involving other boaters in 64 years - I dont think we have a problem situation here.

Inconvenience, have you ever been in London on marathon day? Thankfully Londoners generally delight in having a wonderful sporting event in their midst. Perhaps the grumpy gits posting their miserable down at heel opinions here should lighten up a little. The DW race would have a very strong argument for total closure of the navigation to other boats for the duration of the race - but such an act would be totally foolish and unnecessary. Just lighten up and enjoy the spectacle!

1. so you do own the K&A I thought that was the attitude I was right....

2. biggest number ok but I bet not the most paying I bet that's diesel stinking boats.....

3. 64 years ago how many people took place in your race?

4. you ask people in London what they think about not being able to get to work on time due to people running about go on ask them! not just the people that have come for outside to run about but people that live in town....

yet another post to prove the point that "this our river & if you don't like it sod off" again this backs up what I found on the river this weekend....

My upset is turning into hate for Canoes..... well done keep it up....

Given that the race has been going on for over 30 years maybe you could give some figures for fatalities and accidents?

Perhaps you should have stayed at home if it annoyed you so much after all you only paid £3.00 for that day.

What did you do to contribute to the restoration?

What did I contribute? nothing but I give £3.00 a day to keep it open & in working order so that mounts to nothing right? so next year I will tell BW you will be paying my £3.00 a day right as the Canoes own the K&A they will be paying from now on & if so I will wait all day for your race to end before going out....

By the way what to you do 200 years ago to open the river up build a lock of 2 maybe?

this is going to end in my dad can beat up your dad is it not?

You just don't get it do you?

Every year, some stressed out some wally complains at length about "it's busy at Easter" and "I couldn't use the locks when I wanted to". It seems to be a ubiquitous ritual of the boating year.

By all means complain to BW and HSE, I anticipate them taking ever so seriously. I hope you treasure their nice polite corporate reply.

If you think your behaviour is endangering life then please desist.

incidentally your haven't answered my question, I'll repeat it;

"Given that the race has been going on for over 30 years maybe you could give some figures for fatalities and accidents?"

If you don't like canoes having an annual (annual: |ˈanyoōəl|, adjective, occurring once every year ) jolly then stay at home that day. Yes, I'll gladly give you £3 for the sheer pleasure of your absence.

I do hope you enjoy this weekend's peaceful boating and find another group to take exception to.

The canals are a public resource, they have, by definition, to encompass all sorts of activity.

BTW your assumption, repeated several times, is completely and utterly utterly wrong. The only time I got into a racing canoe I fell straight out the other side.

this is going to end in my dad can beat up your dad is it not?

My licence fees are bigger than your licence fees.

I see you lost control and evidently frothing from the mouth by the penultimate line;

By the way what to you do 200 years ago to open the river up build a lock of 2 maybe?

Is this English?

• Greenie 2

Every year, some stressed out some wally complains at length about "it's busy at Easter" and "I couldn't use the locks when I wanted to". It seems to be a ubiquitous ritual of the boating year.

By all means complain to BW and HSE, I anticipate them taking ever so seriously. I hope you treasure their nice polite corporate reply.

If you think your behaviour is endangering life then please desist.

incidentally your haven't answered my question, I'll repeat it;

"Given that the race has been going on for over 30 years maybe you could give some figures for fatalities and accidents?"

If you don't like canoes having an annual (annual: |ˈanyoōəl|, adjective, occurring once every year ) jolly then stay at home that day. Yes, I'll gladly give you £3 for the sheer pleasure of your absence.

I do hope you enjoy this weekend's peaceful boating and find another group to take exception to.

The canals are a public resource, they have, by definition, to encompass all sorts of activity.

BTW your assumption, repeated several times, is completely and utterly utterly wrong. The only time I got into a racing canoe I fell straight out the other side.

My licence fees are bigger than your licence fees.

I see you lost control and evidently frothing from the mouth by the penultimate line;

Is this English?

Well many thanks for the English lesson....

I see you have had help from friends that must come from a canoe forum (new members) & they will all be over to have a pop at the narrow boaters I would think.....

It seems to me that most people that own canoes are named Richard (Dick for short) so to all the Dicks in Canoes well done 2 more Narrow boaters hate you & I bet more to come.... I have never had a problem with any other group that use the water ways & I wait to see the first accident in 30 years & then I can post TOLD YOU SO......

got to go froth at the mouth now over some dick in a plastic boat (Richard that is)

I agree with Chris, it's an annual event with a good tradition what's wrong with Boaters being aware of it and being a tad understading. The days when canals were just for boaters has gone and will not becoming back.

Guest wanted

I see you have had help from friends that must come from a canoe forum (new members) & they will all be over to have a pop at the narrow boaters I would think.....

It seems to me that most people that own canoes are named Richard (Dick for short) so to all the Dicks in Canoes well done 2 more Narrow boaters hate you & I bet more to come.... I have never had a problem with any other group that use the water ways & I wait to see the first accident in 30 years & then I can post TOLD YOU SO......

got to go froth at the mouth now over some dick in a plastic boat (Richard that is)

You've lost it chap, I suggest a leisurely paddle in a Canadian canoe. Almost nothing better on a misty Thames morning. Check out this forum for tips on how to relax. Www.songofthepaddle.com

• Greenie 1

I'm a canadian canoeist and a recent member of the Song of the paddle forum, you will note that I have been a member of this forum for quite some considerable time (even though I'm not yet a "long standing member"!!). I can say that from what I have seen, heard and experienced the NB users in general have no problem with canoeists and vice versa, I had great fun on the Thames on Saturday (I was not part of the race, no where near good enough) going from Windsor to Shepperton, sharing locks with all sorts it was great. I really don't see the problem with the annual DW race, everyone knew it was on, like it has been every Easter for sixty years. So some people get a bit enthusiastic, so what, live a little!

Oh, and as for Health and Safety, you will note that the London to Brighton bike ride (not a race) has been held annually for lord knows how long, on public roads, some of which have been closed to traffic, briefly, and there have been fatalities, but it still happens. I do it sometimes. (yes I'm a cyclist too, double bad!!)

One more thing, my name isn't Richard, or Dick. It's Stephen (or Steve).

Even for a troll you are particularly ignorant and uninformed. As others have tried to tell you (but you dont seem to want to acknowledge?) the DW race started some 64 years ago when the KA was classed as a remainder waterway, it was partly through these efforts, along with the IWA and others that led to the KA Trust which ultimatley led to the KA becoming a cruising waterway. You might like to look up the history of remainder waterways to further your understanding.

Your hiding behind the H&S argument is also pathetic - as has been stated this and other canoe races have taken place on navigable waterways for at least 75 years without serious incident. No doubt you are the sort of jobsworth that tries to rationalisle any view you hold as the only safe way to proceed - anything else is so dangerous it shouldnt be allowed.

For the record I am not called Dick, and although I maybe a new registered member here I have lurked for a long time, previously owned a historic narrowboat (with JP2) for eight years and intend to return the canals when I retire, oh and I have done the DW race (without accident or incident!) numerous times and supported other crews... as with all things 99% of boatowners I came across when racing and supporting others were supportive of the race and enjoyed watching the event....but as ever there was the 1% ignorant element like Nige 123.

Guest wanted

I'm a canadian canoeist and a recent member of the Song of the paddle forum, you will note that I have been a member of this forum for quite some considerable time (even though I'm not yet a "long standing member"!!). I can say that from what I have seen, heard and experienced the NB users in general have no problem with canoeists and vice versa, I had great fun on the Thames on Saturday (I was not part of the race, no where near good enough) going from Windsor to Shepperton, sharing locks with all sorts it was great. I really don't see the problem with the annual DW race, everyone knew it was on, like it has been every Easter for sixty years. So some people get a bit enthusiastic, so what, live a little!

Oh, and as for Health and Safety, you will note that the London to Brighton bike ride (not a race) has been held annually for lord knows how long, on public roads, some of which have been closed to traffic, briefly, and there have been fatalities, but it still happens. I do it sometimes. (yes I'm a cyclist too, double bad!!)

One more thing, my name isn't Richard, or Dick. It's Stephen (or Steve).

I consider myself very fortunate to be able to narrowboat and canoe. As ratty said to mole, "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

This tread has been quite uplifting - apart from the one pathetic troll people are generally very tolerant of canoe racing.

If people can take just one message from here then let it be; ignore racing canoes, hold your course, continue navigating exactly as you were, they will go around you.

And if it helps you to understand the mindset of the top paddlers, a friend of mine won the race a few years ago by only 40 seconds - after 17 hours of racing flat-out. That is unusual, but hopefully you can get a sense of why they want to navigate left on a left-hand bend, why they are not hanging about at locks, why they seem to have a greater sense of urgency than a narrowboater!

This tread has been quite uplifting - apart from the one pathetic troll people are generally very tolerant of canoe racing.

If people can take just one message from here then let it be; ignore racing canoes, hold your course, continue navigating exactly as you were, they will go around you.

And if it helps you to understand the mindset of the top paddlers, a friend of mine won the race a few years ago by only 40 seconds - after 17 hours of racing flat-out. That is unusual, but hopefully you can get a sense of why they want to navigate left on a left-hand bend, why they are not hanging about at locks, why they seem to have a greater sense of urgency than a narrowboater!

You see I was right all along.........

Yet more insults from a guy that went out of his way to aid people lots of them young boys & girls who I must say were all very nice & passed me on the side I pointed out & most saying thanks....

The older Richards being the ones to use abuse the same as here!

Now I have had several canoes, row boats, speed boats, punts, Jon boats in my time & been out on lakes in northern Minnesota right on the Canadian boarder in yes that's right a Canadian Canoe...

I wanted a nice day out & got stuck in a moment of madness with unreasonable people....

I'm also into racing (on tracks) & if I came across this post I would have said....

I am very sorry you had a bad experience with our racers I'm sure it was only 1 or 2 people in the moment of a race madness, You know race face on etc & this is not how our race wishes to be seen by other river users...

I will be passing your comments on to the race organisers so we can avoid this next year, many thanks for pointing this out to us...

That would have stopped me in my tracks would it not?

all the others that read this & don't comment & you know that will be lots would think you were the good guys!

the ones with the moral high ground, big enough to admit when your wrong & maybe not a complete butch of "RICHARDS"

Pathetic - give it a rest!

yet more insults from a Richard.....

Come on say it......

you know you want to.......

go on!

My dad can beat up your dad na na nanna na........ lol

No harm in mooring up for the 'day' and watching the boats as we did, was a great day cheering them on and warning them about the mental swan ahead!

Its a world known sporting event, one of the most gruelling endurance races in the world, im sure Nigel you could of spent the day moored up polishing your mushrooms and enjoying the spectacle like most did :cheers:

Actually there were more narrowboats on the move this year than I have ever seen before. Mainly that is no problem for the paddlers. I did have one extraordinary incident though - on a gradual left hand bend I was paddling the canoe tight in on the left-hand bank (shortest line) when an approaching broad-narrowboat driver somehow felt that he should try to put his twelve foot beam into the three foot gap to my left! It seemed to be an idea lacking in intelligence!

Edited by WJM

yet more insults from a Richard.....

Come on say it......

you know you want to.......

go on!

My dad can beat up your dad na na nanna na........ lol

What a surprise that you have chosen not to comment on the points raised in my post.

And for the record in the words of Frankie Boyle "my dads gay and he'll shag your dad"

Once upon a time....

Long Long ago some 64 years ago children (& that's before most of you were born) lived a man with a silly small pointed plastic boat.

Now this man lived by a run down river that had never been used for anything ever & it was all over grown & it had locks that were fitted for no reason by some people a long time before for no reason....

Now this man's name was Richard.... & he loved to race up & down back & forth on the river...

so fast was he children that the gods looked down on him & said you are such a magnificent spectacle we shall give you a golden paddle!

& Richard paddled up & down with his new gold paddle & as he did children all the locks got fixed & the banks were repaired! as children this was a magic paddle!

Now remember children this was long long ago & until this very day every Ester bank holiday lots & lots of Richards wooosh down the river in honer of the first Richard...

They do this not to win a golden paddle but a silver plated Plastic cup children & to show the horrible diesel smelling sewer tubes that this river is the property of the silly pointed plastic boat people & they should golly well stay at home on this day or face abuse.......

Night Night children sleep tight just like a pair of those silly shorts the silly pointed plastic boat people live in.....

Actually there were more narrowboats on the move this year than I have ever seen before. Mainly that is no problem for the paddlers. I did have one extraordinary incident though - on a gradual left hand bend I was paddling the canoe tight in on the left-hand bank (shortest line) when an approaching broad-narrowboat driver somehow felt that he should try to put his twelve foot beam into the three foot gap to my left! It seemed to be an idea lacking in intelligence!

just to point out the your deliberate mistake Narrow boats are a tad under 7ft wide & a wide beam boat is well wider.....

did you shout at him get off my River you idiot? bloody wide beam boats think they own the river.... poor poor you........

(note to wide beam owner "well done my son" 1 more notch on the tiller handle)

Guest wanted

Once upon a time....

Long Long ago some 64 years ago children (& that's before most of you were born) lived a man with a silly small pointed plastic boat.

Now this man lived by a run down river that had never been used for anything ever & it was all over grown & it had locks that were fitted for no reason by some people a long time before for no reason....

Now this man's name was Richard.... & he loved to race up & down back & forth on the river...

so fast was he children that the gods looked down on him & said you are such a magnificent spectacle we shall give you a golden paddle!

& Richard paddled up & down with his new gold paddle & as he did children all the locks got fixed & the banks were repaired! as children this was a magic paddle!

Now remember children this was long long ago & until this very day every Ester bank holiday lots & lots of Richards wooosh down the river in honer of the first Richard...

They do this not to win a golden paddle but a silver plated Plastic cup children & to show the horrible diesel smelling sewer tubes that this river is the property of the silly pointed plastic boat people & they should golly well stay at home on this day or face abuse.......

Night Night children sleep tight just like a pair of those silly shorts the silly pointed plastic boat people live in.....

pollswhatyoutalkingabou.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Better avoid the Thames around Abingdon on Sunday then! 370+ boats mostly bigger and faster than canoes, racing and with those powering them facing backwards so they can't see where they're going ;)

I may give that a go this weekend (facing backwards & steering) I have good insurance....

mind you I don't own the Thames do I....... LOL

Maybe consider moving somewhere away from all these dangerous boaty competitions?

My cousin is selling his cottage on the Isle of Man ?

Then I would have to put up with the Purple Helmets & the IOMTT..........

Mind you they do real racing & no funny tight trousers (well some on the brollie girls maybe)

I may give that a go this weekend (facing backwards & steering) I have good insurance....

mind you I don't own the Thames do I....... LOL

Then I would have to put up with the Purple Helmets & the IOMTT..........

Mind you they do real racing & no funny tight trousers (well some on the brollie girls maybe)

3/10 Must try harder.