Thought it was cold on the south Oxford

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

Took my first dive into the cut today.

On the South Oxford, tied up the boat ready to descend lock 22. Returned and went to step on the boat but somehow missed it and had to jump in to avoid face planting on the rear deck.

Very refreshing but not what I needed on a wet, cold, windy day. :blush:

On the South Oxford, tied up the boat ready to descend lock 22. Returned and went to step on the boat but somehow missed it and had to jump in to avoid face planting on the rear deck.

Glad you are OK, I take it you got yourself out.

Glad your ok, we can all laugh now I suppose but it goes to show how dangerous single handing could be if say you had hit the boat face first and no one else around :o

Tim

Did similar near Milton Keynes. Coming in to moor, SWMBO goes ashore from bow, yrs truly from stern. Rear door held onto comes unhooked. Falls into the wet stuff

I found difficult to get out due to

1) large belly

2) damaged weak shoulders

3) fat belly.

We now have a rope ladder to assist that will hang off the stern bollardy things I have just forgotten the name of.

Thanks folks. Only about 4 feet deep so not too difficult to get back on to the bank this time.

Must remember "Mind the Gap!"

Stronger shoulders than me

The remarkable thing to me is no matter how much it's drummed into you the first thing you think is not

'stand up stupid'

it's

'SWIM FOR YOUR LIFE'

Ok standing up won't work up here but on the majority of man made waterways in the UK it's enough...

My seven year old daughter became a 'proper boater' a few weeks ago, and is very proud of that fact now.

She slipped stepping from one boat to the next, but was hauled out immediately by the person standing right behind her.. keep an eye on your kids at all times...

It is true then that you are not a proper boater until you have fallen in?

Thats what the ones who have fallen in say !! :lol: As a youngster in the Royal Navy several light years ago we were told from day one that one hand was for the Queen and one hand was for yourself, it may sound obvious but it was instilled in us about our own safety. I dare not say this but AS OF YET :blush: I have never fallen in...........oh dear, oh dear..........

The remarkable thing to me is no matter how much it's drummed into you the first thing you think is not

'stand up stupid'

it's

'SWIM FOR YOUR LIFE'

Ok standing up won't work up here but on the majority of man made waterways in the UK it's enough...

I think there is also a question of dignity.

From personal experience, flailing around on the surface apparently drowning attracts concern, attention and great sympathy.

Standing on the canal bed with the water just above your knees just attracts an awful lot of sniggering :blush:

It is true then that you are not a proper boater until you have fallen in?

Apparently so.

I am not a proper boater as I have not been in (well one leg has so that might class as a proper boater)

The OH on the other hand must be an expert boater because he has been in more times than I care to remember. :rolleyes:

Apparently so.

I am not a proper boater as I have not been in (well one leg has so that might class as a proper boater)

The OH on the other hand must be an expert boater because he has been in more times than I care to remember. :rolleyes:

I've got a proper boater's leg! I wish all of me had gone in as landing on a steel counter smiley35.gif hurts!

It took many £ Sterling at the osteopaths to sort my back out after that misadventure!

I've got a proper boater's leg! I wish all of me had gone in as landing on a steel counter smiley35.gif hurts!

It took many £ Sterling at the osteopaths to sort my back out after that misadventure!

Luckily I was saved from a full dunking or injury by the dinghy which was hanging on the snap davits. Got a slightly grazed shin but other than that nothing of concern.

A friend of ours had a leg dunking a few years ago now after slipping on a wooden pontoon and trapping his leg beneath a cruisers bathing platform. His knee is still not right now after all that time. :unsure:

My main worry is not falling in the canal as I'm a strong swimmer (although as others have said standing up will usually suffice). I am more concerned about hitting the boat or a lock wall on the way down. Sound advise I was given by a fuel boat was once you realise you're going in jump clear of the boat.

There was a very amusing thread in 2007, 'Falling in - what's your story', which you would now be able to read with new insight.

Regards

Steve

Luckily I was saved from a full dunking or injury by the dinghy which was hanging on the snap davits. Got a slightly grazed shin but other than that nothing of concern.

A friend of ours had a leg dunking a few years ago now after slipping on a wooden pontoon and trapping his leg beneath a cruisers bathing platform. His knee is still not right now after all that time. :unsure:

Fantastic bits of kit!

Snap davits weaver davits

Remember buying the kit,plus the stand off arms when they first come out

Best and quickest to get the dingy off in a emergency

Col

Dread to think how much the full kit cost now !

Any ideas ?

Also keeps the LOA down