One Night Hire

RowanLJ

Featured Posts

Hi

I'm looking to hire a canal boat for one night (Saturday - Sunday) at some point over the summer and preferably in the Cheshire Area. Can anyone recommend a company I could book this with, as I can only seem to find one day or full weekend hires.

Many thanks

Hi

I'm looking to hire a canal boat for one night (Saturday - Sunday) at some point over the summer and preferably in the Cheshire Area. Can anyone recommend a company I could book this with, as I can only seem to find one day or full weekend hires.

Many thanks

I don't know of any boat company that hires out over one evening, tbh (although other members may)

And I suspect it's even more unlikely during the Summer (peak holiday period)

I hope someone can help you though

Hi

Many thanks

I would say that you have no chance of a forward booked hire for one day especially at weekend. The best chance that you would have is to just turn up at a boat yard on th morning of the required hire and hope for a no show. It won't be cheap though, maybe up to £100.00

I would say that you have no chance of a forward booked hire for one day especially at weekend. The best chance that you would have is to just turn up at a boat yard on th morning of the required hire and hope for a no show. It won't be cheap though, maybe up to £100.00

If the Original Poster is lucky enough to rent a 'no-show' - I suspect the cost will be dearer than £100 for two days/1 night

and - summer holiday's time?

(I've just had a quick look at various boat-hire sites and cannot find any vacancies for summer weekends at any price)

Some companies have day hire boats that are suitable for a couple for one night and are willing to let the boat on this basis, but it isn't common. Before anyone asks no I can't suggest one... I know Bath and Dundas used to do it but they have given up on hire boats all together, and Bill Walton used to do this but that was before the Droitwich Canal reopened and he may no longer offer his day boat.

A lot of companies do Friday evening to Monday morning for part of their fleet year round, and if you only want Saturday AM to Sunday PM, that's up to you.

Having previously been married to a University Lecturer, I gave up a paid for Sunday night on hire boats rather a lot in term time... (and before anyone asks, no, she wouldn't go out of term time...)

Edited by magpie patrick

Claymoore (Preston Brook) do flexi-hire, although I don't know the minimum period.

www.claymoore.co.uk

Midway boats (Barbridge junction) used to do short break hire, unsure if they still do (just had a quick check on their website and its not mentioned):

http://www.midwayboats.co.uk/

Plenty of hire firms do 'short break' hire and often split it Fri-Mon (4 days, long weekend) and Mon-Fri (5 days) at the same price. Most of them discontinue offering short breaks in the summer holidays though.

Subject of course to how much the OP is prepared to pay...

Indeed. As Patrick says, you can take the 3 night rental and only spend a night on it.

We have offered this when people push for the 1 night and when they find that it is still £300 they review their holiday requirements.

On top of cleaning and laundry, unlike a B&B a hire boat company MUST spend time checking the boat, training guests, having an engineer on call and coping with completely unplanned events such as recovering boats when guests have to rush off home (which is how I shall be spending Friday.....)

It certainly isn't viable to take bookings weeks in advance as how do I fill the other 6 nights. Even at short notice, it isn't unless, Martin says, the guest is prepared to pay the 3 night rate.

Indeed. As Patrick says, you can take the 3 night rental and only spend a night on it.

We have offered this when people push for the 1 night and when they find that it is still £300 they review their holiday requirements.

On top of cleaning and laundry, unlike a B&B a hire boat company MUST spend time checking the boat, training guests, having an engineer on call and coping with completely unplanned events such as recovering boats when guests have to rush off home (which is how I shall be spending Friday.....)

It certainly isn't viable to take bookings weeks in advance as how do I fill the other 6 nights. Even at short notice, it isn't unless, Martin says, the guest is prepared to pay the 3 night rate.

yes you can hire an overnight boat from Claymoore narrowboats at preston brook.

http://www.claymoore.co.uk/flexible-canal-breaks

yes you can hire an overnight boat from Claymoore narrowboats at preston brook.

http://www.claymoore...le-canal-breaks

Well spotted Davey - - - and it works out at only £168.14 for one night

Cheddleton Mill – Our Overnight Boat

Our overnight boat is 40 feet in length, with a cruiser style stern and seating in the front deck. Cheddleton Mill sleeps up to 4 people in one double and two single beds or two doubles. Pets are welcome on-board this boat.

Well equipped galley with oven, hob, grill and fridge.

• LCD TV with Freeview.
  • CD player with radio, MP3, SD card and USB playback.
  • Gas central heating.
  • Bathroom with shower.
  • Fuel included.

Your boat will be available at 2:00pm and must be returned at midday on the day of your departure.

I asume that it's for a special occasion? Why not hire for the weekend and sinply take the boat back early - a bit expensive, but if it is a special occasion you may not mind this.

Well fairplay to Claymoore for venturing where, as far as I know, no one else has.

They benefit from being essentially lock free for the duration of a 1 night hire which will reduce training time.

I did a quick search for June and they are offering the boat at £152 for a Saturday night which does sound reasonable.

Edited by RichardH

This thread appears to be running twice.

Fox Boats at March have a 38-footer day hire boat. But I have seen it heading back towards March in the morning, so maybe they will hire it out overnight as well. Phone them and find out. 01354 652770.

Edited by Athy

Hi

Many thanks

Two problems spring to mind..

1) Returning it on a Sunday may be problematic at best - unless they use Sunday as a turnaround day, which not all hirebases do.

2) You won't have as much time on the boat as you may think. Saturday collections are usually timed for about 3pm to give them time to rewater/refuel/clean boats which have just got back. Equally, if they do use Sunday turnaround, you'll probably have to be back by 10am on the Sunday morning.

Given these time restrictions and the fact that most if not all hire companies (certainly all those I've ever dealt with..) won't allow you to cruise after dusk means that you won't be able to get very far. I'd agree with the comment that you might be best just ringing during the week before and seeing if they have anything available. From their point of view, even a one hight hire would be better than an empty boat, but equally why should they hire out a boat for just one night if that means that it will then have to stand empty for the rest of that week...

A typical hire boat apparently costs approx £200 to 'turn around' ie cleaning, pumpout, dealing with minor technical issues or small breakages, staff wages, etc. So hire firms probably won't let a boat be hired without covering this amount + fuel. If you look at typical day boats vs weekly hire boats, notice how they tend to be MUCH more basic and 'easy clean' - for example leatherette seats, floors which can be mopped out, etc. Thus their turnaround is simpler and lower cost. Once you get into any lengthy period of time on a boat including overnight stay, the turnaround costs escalate. Claymoore's offering is interesting, their summer rate for 1 night on a boat (22 hours hire) is £160 or so; and their collection and return time is 2pm - 12 noon, so they're reckoning on turning around in 2 hours. Not personally seen the boat though - maybe they suffer a small loss on a 1 night hire but reckon on return business?