air under boat

a.p.now

Featured Posts

heres a posably intresting one for you all? can enyone tell me why i seem to be geting rather alot of air under my narrowboat? its only started about a week ago? eny idears?

It happens quite often depending where you are moored. Probably something degrading ont bed of canal giving off gas or somett..........

heres a posably intresting one for you all? can enyone tell me why i seem to be geting rather alot of air under my narrowboat? its only started about a week ago? eny idears?

The first thing to examine is your speed . . . . .

Are you going too fast? - - Are you repeatedly pulling your water-skier off his/her skis?

Is your boat planing when this happens, or are you doing 'donuts' on the water?

The first thing to examine is your speed . . . . .

Are you going too fast? - - Are you repeatedly pulling your water-skier off his/her skis?

Is your boat planing when this happens, or are you doing 'donuts' on the water?

hahahahaha no its when its moord up in the merina. it seems to have started just after i fited a fridge inside the boat. not gona be mental galvanic corosion or enything daft like that i hope :o

Not uncommon. I first experienced this in Skipton I believe, and if someone moved on the boat you could hear the air bubbling from underneath. I blamed the dog initially, but it turned out to be air/gas under the base plate. I am unsure of the science of it, but my previous shorter NB seemed more prone to this flatulence.

Edited by Guest

hahahahaha no its when its moord up in the merina. it seems to have started just after i fited a fridge inside the boat. not gona be mental galvanic corosion or enything daft like that i hope :o

It's a fair certainty that, as Mons Smelly suggests, it's degrading vegetation in the water beneath your craft.

We too have noticed this just in the last few days (after the warm weather)

The only way your 'fridge could contribute to this effect is if you threw it in the water!

It's a seasonal thing. The water is warming up and it causes the methane gas trapped in the mud to be released.

The methane is a by product of vegitation etc rotting down. The Autumn fall of leaves is always a good culprit

thanx evryone. i had this paranoia that it may be a maaaaaaasiv earth fault that was roting my boat super fast hahahaha. sort of like list and trim syndrome hahahaha. thankfuly another sleeples night averted. :cheers:

I first experienced this at Castleford. Was quite concerned, but then took a look out the hatch and noticed there were bubbles popping all over the surface of the canal in all directions. I thought it was gas being released from a nearby factory pipe or something, but was educated on the forum, just like you have been...lol :) Amazing this forum. Wait till you have swans tapping your baseplate. That'll get you going if you it wakes you in the night.

It happens quite often depending where you are moored. Probably something degrading ont bed of canal giving off gas or somett..........

that'll teach you not to dump biodegradable stuff under the boat when no-one's looking :rolleyes:

............... coat :blush:

We get a lot of air under the boat on the river Cam, once the river weed starts to grow around this time of the year. On warm sunny days like we have recently had, we can see columns of tiny bubbles rising around the boat as the weeds produce oxygen in the sunlight. They must build up under the boat and be releasesd as we move about and the boat moves.

Roger