The Canals Are Alive

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

I'm a hirer, and proud of it! We've been hiring for ten years now and loving every minute of it. Thanks also to Theo, Cheshire~Rose and Postcode, we've also been able to borrow private boats, so have seen both sides.

Whilst hiring, we've unfortunately been on the receiving end of some sneering looks and comments from private boat owners, but you know what? It really doesn't matter. The last occasion was really funny when one of them was tutting about having to share with "novices" and we casually explained that we were three weeks into a month long trip that had taken us from the Midlands, down to the Thames and back. It transpired that we'd travelled more in our three weeks than they had in the last three years!

I can't get enough of boating, so I now have a weekend job conducting handovers for a local hire boat company. Without exception, every single one of our hirers has been buzzing with excitement and willing to listen and learn. Fortunately all of our boats are unbranded, so they don't have to put up with comments about hirers from people who really ought to know better...

The waterways are there for everyone, and I for one love to do my bit to encourage newcomers to get out there and enjoy!

Well said Jan! Have a greenie from me!

Janet

Logic would tell me there are less hire boats than leisure and residential boats put together?

It is the hire boats that move the most. They are the ones that press on each day making the most of the limited time they have aboard. The same boats go up and down the system either on a circular route or there and back each week or fornight. They do not have the luxury of tying up in a picturesque spot and deciding they like it so much they will stay there for another day. If it was not for the need to ensure that people from all age groups and all backgrounds are able to actually wind a paddle or open a lock gate then we would soon find the maintenance of the locks would start to slow up. No hire boats = less queues at the locks at busy times so why should BW rush to repair the broken paddle gear? The lock still fills with one paddle just a bit slower.

We all have stories of seeing a hire boat nearly do something really stupid. Most of us have witnessed a hireboat actually hit something it should not have done. Sadly some of us will have experienced damage inflicted to either a boat or some piece of canal infrastructure by a hire boat.

Now - stand up anyone who can put our hands on our heart and honestly say we have never nearly done something really stupid?

No?

ok - stand up anyone who can put their hand on their heart and honestly say they have never hit any piece of the canal infrastructure with their boat?

hmmmm - now I would suggest that is there is anyone now standing then they probably have a floating caravan that never leaves the marina

Now to everyone else I suspect the occasion(s) they nearly did something really stupid and with regard to the damaging something it is a case of "There but for the grace of God go I"

• Greenie 2

cheshire rose, you have a wonderful outlook on life.

My scruffy old boat will (hopefully) be ready to cruise soon & being a novice I have a lot to learn. I only hope that when I do cock things up a little, whoever is watching is as understanding as you!

Happy boating everybody :cheers:

My scruffy old boat will (hopefully) be ready to cruise soon & being a novice I have a lot to learn. I only hope that when I do cock things up a little, whoever is watching is as understanding as you!

Good luck! Don't be afraid to ask on here if you need any help...there are lots of us who will help if you need it.

Janet

It has been a fantastic few weeks weather, and canaltimesRus or whatever they are called nowadays have certainly been doing a serious amount of early season trade out of both market harborough and sawley.

there are a few new operators too.

and they are all smiling, enjoying themselves, and adding to the vibrancy of our networks.

all I have spoken to are having a great time, glad of any help or advice, and are loving it.

One of the reasons BW has been back pumping to welford reservoir is to keep the market harborough hire base functioning.

The hirers have been out for weeks, I guess some shiny boat owners will not even have put water back in their tanks and pipes yet.

I almost always enjoy seeing boats go by me, even the hirers ready for some serious partying. Mostly they are doing their best and ready to take the hint if you wave at them to slow down... I have been really worried about the drought will affect the hire companies on the Oxford if the canal really runs low.

But I'm not sure about hoping all the hirers will want to buy boats, because I don't see how BW can keep licensing new boats at the same time they are squeezing and restricting moorings... I know that is :smiley_offtopic:

Good luck! Don't be afraid to ask on here if you need any help...there are lots of us who will help if you need it.

Janet

Thank you Janet. I have been reading the forum for a while & already find it invaluable. I hope to join in a bit more in future, & maybe even help others along with the small amount of knowledge I have acquired from pulling my boat apart, & from my attempts to re fit it!

Lots of you have already helped massively so a big thank you! :cheers:

As someone who does most of my boating single handed I love hire boaters.Much nicer to share a broad lock for all concerned.I also find that if you get into a rythym with another crew (one boat goes ahead to set the next lock/swingbridge in turn) it can be a real boost to covering distance.The fact the crews are on holiday, smiling and determined to have a good time while not taking it too seriously is a great attitude in my opinion.

Utter Tosh?

Is that a guesstimate?

How many hire boats are there?

How many leisure and residential boats are there?

Thank you?

1466 self drive hire boats according to this December 2010 document, compared to a total of 35,241 long term licences issued (2010/11), or around 4% of the number of boats. But since they pay a licence fee of around twice that of private boats, they contribute about 8% of licence income.

But, perhaps more importantly, it is the accessibility to the canals for those who don't own boats, including walkers, cyclists, anglers and hire boaters, that persuades government that it is worth contributing significant sums towards maintaining the waterways in navigable condition.

David

Edited by David Mack

I just wish hiring wasn't so expensive, I can hire a cottage by a canal for a third of the price of a boat. It bugs me.

However, one of my daughters friends is off on a hire boat from Nantwich from next Saturday. They are really looking forward to it. I was talking to them today and this is their second time. I was baffled (initially) by their comment that they are really looking forward to this boat because its got front doors. They then said that the last boat was from Market Harborough, so I put 2 and 2 together.

I wonder what the percentage is of boat buyers being hirers initially? 90% I'd guess.

I just wish hiring wasn't so expensive, I can hire a cottage by a canal for a third of the price of a boat. It bugs me.

I suspect if you take into account depreciation and upkeep costs you could own a cottage by a canal for a third of a price of owning a boat!

Ah, but your Hireboat is your total expense for the holiday, it is your entertainment and your base whereas in a cottage you'd still have to fork out for days out and such like. Not bad value when you look at it like that and even better value if shared amongst a few crew.

This is how I started in 1967. Renting a plastic boat for 2 weeks.

I'm on the far left.

cid_000c01cd07a721787e104001a8c0HOME.jpg

:)

I can't help but think the caption for that picture should be something like -

OMG - 2 weeks on that! little thing....

or

"we're gonna need a bigger boat"

Agreed, for a group of adults, it's not bad value, but for a family, or couple it is. I once hired one of the cottages at Stoke Bruerne for a couple of weeks, the farthest I got from it was when I walked up and down the canal for a few miles. The point I'm trying to make is, I hire a cottage next to a canal to be near a canal, because hiring a boat is too expensive.

Anyway, now I've got my canoe, I get my canal fix far more often.

Ah, but your Hireboat is your total expense for the holiday, it is your entertainment and your base whereas in a cottage you'd still have to fork out for days out and such like. Not bad value when you look at it like that and even better value if shared amongst a few crew.

or

"we're gonna need a bigger boat"

And there was 3 of us!!!

I was giving the boat a clean today and a hire boat came past around 12 noon all well and truley on their way to being plastered looking in the wrong direction behind them and missed the bank by an inch! Could have been another boat!

So I dont entirely share the joys of hireboats and cant help thinking if they owned a share in the boat they were steering even the whole boat they would perhaps even pretend to give a damn.

I very much doubt the canals would grind to a halt without them.

I am not saying all hire boaters are like this obviously.

Are you allowed to go boating drunk on the canals? Over here in Finland, the legal limit is 1 promille at the moment and if you get caught with any more than that, the fines are quite hefty. Enforcement isn't easy, since there's a lot of water to go boating on here, and some boats are quite fast, but if someone is plastered on a canal, it shouldn't be that hard to catch them, would it?

Interesting starting handle on the transom, or is it an organ grinder type musical instrument to while away those long balmy evenings :)

I'm glad you noticed it. It is a handle to wind the propeller up out of the water, used if it got stuff wrapped around it. We used it every day!!

We took our hireboat out today - it was gorgeous

Richard

The boat, or the day?

I'm glad you noticed it. It is a handle to wind the propeller up out of the water, used if it got stuff wrapped around it. We used it every day!!

Silly me! I thought it was the bloody tiller. :rolleyes:

Edited by Doorman

Don't forget though that there is one undeniable fact about boating and that is, however experienced you are, hirer or old hand, if you are going to cock it up it will be when there is a crowd of people watching. When all goes well and the manoeuvre was worthy of a truly experienced professional there will be no-one around to see it. That, in my experience, is an inviolable rule. :rolleyes:

Roger

• Greenie 1