Bridgewater & Taunton Canal

blackrose

Featured Posts

Last time I rode my bike out to Mansuel lock about a year ago it was nice like you said trip boat out, the weed cutter cutting down the weed, people in the cafe, you come back towards Bridgwater and it's been neglected.

Last time I rode my bike out to Mansuel lock about a year ago it was nice like you said trip boat out, the weed cutter cutting down the weed, people in the cafe, you come back towards Bridgwater and it's been neglected.

The Bridgwater & Taunton canal is classified as a remainder waterway under the 1968 Transport Act, a d therefore receives no maintenance unless in danger of breach.

http://www.canalroutes.net/Bridgwater-and-Taunton-Canal.html

Not quite true but certainly no obligation to maintain it in a navigable condition, the pragmatic approach tends to be that "navigable condition" so long as it's a steady state and not a restoration, is a cost effective way of maintaining a canal "in the best interests of public safety" which I think is the terms of the act

Lock gates get replaced for example, (this may be one of very few remainder waterways to have locks on it, some of the BCN as well perhaps?) probably because other statutory functions mean water levels must be maintained and replacing the gates is as easy a way of doing this as any.

But then someone has been wasting some money in the docks replacing the top beams to the big double lock gates that go out to the outer basin. Which don't work or get used or walked on by anyone. It was a tarting up exercise. There seems to be a small crt van parked at the docks most off the time so the do have a presence in the area.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but did the Iron Dutchess barge get put on to the canal?  I have a 60 x 10 canal boat and would love to put it on the Bridgewater and Taunton.  Does anybody out there know whether I could just cruise the canal between the locks, as they all seem to be up at one end?  And are there any facilities for craning-on? Thanks.

10 hours ago, Sue Robinson said:

I know this is an old thread, but did the Iron Dutchess barge get put on to the canal?  I have a 60 x 10 canal boat and would love to put it on the Bridgewater and Taunton.  Does anybody out there know whether I could just cruise the canal between the locks, as they all seem to be up at one end?  And are there any facilities for craning-on? Thanks.

No crane. Locks around 54ft long.