Trouble around Victoria Park

Cosmic

Featured Posts

Agree 100%.Some years ago, my girlfriend and I lived in a small village on the outskirts of Tunbridge Wells. My girlfriend's habit of taking our dogs for a walk along an unlit pathway each evening dismayed the other women living in our street. Worried about being attacked by sex fiends who might be hiding in bushes, these neighbours locked themselves in as the sun went down. They were right that my girlfriend was vulnerable to attack, but only because they all stayed at home, if they had all gone out to walk their dogs at night, the sex fiend hiding in the bushes would have been the one at risk.

Joshua

When a few good people stand firm,change can happen,you need to stand together and support the local effort to make no areas more acceptable places,being more selfless not selfish,hiding in your boat with the doors locked living in fear,is not the way to solve things.

its easy to find fault with some places and talk the area down,you want to play your part in putting the great back into britain.

I moor alone in dodgy places,I pick a bit of litter up around my boat and engage in conversations with people,and try and whip them up into a frenzy about being more thoughtful regarding that area,some people for whatever reason are not ready to change there bad behavour at the moment,this is your country and your life,its easy to do nothing.......

• Greenie 1

When a few good people stand firm,change can happen,you need to stand together and support the local effort to make no areas more acceptable places,being more selfless not selfish,hiding in your boat with the doors locked living in fear,is not the way to solve things.

its easy to find fault with some places and talk the area down,you want to play your part in putting the great back into britain.

I moor alone in dodgy places,I pick a bit of litter up around my boat and engage in conversations with people,and try and whip them up into a frenzy about being more thoughtful regarding that area,some people for whatever reason are not ready to change there bad behavour at the moment,this is your country and your life,its easy to do nothing.......

There is a fine line between citizen empowerment and vigilanteism. in the absence of support from the state I would be very reluctant indeed to engage in any half arsed amateur crime reduction initiative. In any area where violent assault is endemic almost invariably the first copper in the area for years will be there to arrest the bloke who hits back. Tackling such issues has a place for the citizen but must be police lead. Bring on directly elected commissioners of police and they might bother.

[snip] When a few good people stand firm,change can happen,you need to stand together and support the local effort to make no areas more acceptable places[snip]

Hear hear. There are good people to be found everywhere. When/if the bad stuff gets you down, at least us boaters can move along, and find somewhere nice to recharge our batteries.

Still, it's good to know what's going on, forewarned and all.. And I think the bloomin' Lympics will do more to drive people out of our fair city this year than a bit of scaremongering anyway ;)

Ok, it is not always going to be that easy, I was probably only dealing with boredom, with drugs involved it can be different.

What a classic and now hackneyed excuse for the behaviour of these parasites of society!

Bored with their Ipods, Ipads, apps on their laptops, designer clothes etc., etc., Boredom is no excuse for barbaric behaviour!

I had a similar experience in Manchester whilst waiting for the Barton swing bridge to be repaired and being stranded at the south end of the entrance. Leaving Mrs Doorman and our dog on board the boat that was moored along the towpath, I ventured up onto the pedestrian bridge hoping to see some progress, when three 'hoodies' edged along to the staircase. One of them walked up to ask me for some 'skins', whilst the other two remained at the foot of the stairs, probably there to block my exit if I'd done a runner.

Anticipating the potential outcome of this dodgy encounter, I pretended to be on my mobile phone and in contact with the bridge operator whom had this have been true, would have been able to see me and the bored youths from his watch tower. Thankfully, my bluff worked and the sound of police sirens in the distance only served to add to the desired effect. The three youths (in their early twenties) hovered around the undergrowth adjacent to the footbridge for a few minutes, then scampered away on their undersized bikes.

It was only when I returned to the boat did my wife explain that these paragons of virtue, were loitering around the boat with a view to untying the mooring lines. My plight could have been far more serious, only for my phone scam that certainly worked in conning these characters into believing they were being watched from the tower.

Having met with a boater who is local to that area, he confirmed that you have to be vigilant whilst cruising through Patricroft on your boat and if you do have to stop, try and avoid doing so on the towpath side.

Mike

That's one of the major problems! It's no longer our country, it's Treasure Island where no end of people from distant lands embark on a journey to exploit our welfare system that's already oversubscribed. Why else do they try every trick under the sun to get here, it's certainly not to enjoy the climate!

What a classic and now hackneyed excuse for the behaviour of these parasites of society!

If only it were that simple! If a person finds themselves disenfranchised, out of work, lacking opportunity through poor education or circumstance - then every one of us could be driven to extremes! These post-armageddon 'Mad Max' style movies are interesting, how they speculate on the savage animal within us all. It is only the comfort of our society that allows us to be civilised!

If only it were that simple! If a person finds themselves disenfranchised, out of work, lacking opportunity through poor education or circumstance - then every one of us could be driven to extremes! These post-armageddon 'Mad Max' style movies are interesting, how they speculate on the savage animal within us all. It is only the comfort of our society that allows us to be civilised!

It was that simple for this disenfranchised, out of work, lacking opportunity through poor education, or circumstance, person. I got off my arse and did something with my life!

I also worked with numerous working class people who suffered the same plight as you describe. Many of their offspring went on to become professional people, following a university education that they worked damn hard for. There are plenty of examples of folk who came into our country penniless, but through sheer hard work and endeavour, developed whatever talent that they were born with and became successful citizens.

They didn't just sit around locks and wait for some divine intervention to kick-start their lives. :angry:

Edited by Doorman

I can understand people's reluctance to venture into areas known to be 'a bit dodgy', but I can't help feeling that to stay away from a given area because it is reported to be the haunt of 'baddies' only becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy! If all the 'good' people stay away from an area it will of course become an area where trouble can thrive.

Victoria Park is always packed out with moored boats, it's a really nice place to moor ime. Great park for walking the dog in the morning and great atmosphere amongst the boaters. One thing I do appreciate about London is that people do tend to clean up after their dogs. It really depresses me when I go back to Knottingley on the Aire and Calder, what should be a nice walk down the towpath is like picking your way through a minefield. You can't enjoy it. We don't get that in London. People pick up.

We get sporadic trouble in London, always have done, it's not a new thing and it hasn't got better or worse. It usually tends to happen when the weather starts to get a bit warmer in the spring and during the school holidays. We've already had the same gang of kids up here that we always get once it starts getting warm.

I don't let it bother me, it's just a few kids. Most of the time it's lovely and quiet in our so called no-go area.

What goes around comes around

Years ago no one ever moored/stopped at vicky park as it was a dangerous place to be. You always did Islington to Limehouse without stopping.

Islington was OK as it was gated both ends and locked most of the time.

I lived in Peckham until I moved aboard, it's reputation precedes it for most people.

Funnily enough, tales of the normal, everyday people who live there going about their hard working lives and coming and going late at night and in the dark hours safely and unmolested, never makes the news...

Crap like this happens in plenty of places, not just London!

I thought I recognised your accent.

today i travelled along the canal at 06:30am and saw little lambs jumping around playing,London was a million miles away..............sadly boaters live in london,and need our suppport.

prevention is better than detention....lock it up or lose it....as far as muggings go...if your capable defend yourself,if not hand it over,call the police again and again,untill such time the police mount an operation to collect such persons up.im led to believe the MET are going to gather up the unruly just before the olympics and treat them all to b&b

It won't be easy to call the police if they've just stolen your phone, wallet, laptop, etc. I think that an 'aerosol klaxon' could be a

cheap means of scaring them off, and to attract the attention of some heroic folks to come to your rescue.

Peter.

Paintball gun anyone?

that would make you walk around with an arm, which is not very legal, with the fluorescent paint you can say that you want to improve visability of your boat in tunnels, and that you were going to paint your tunnel bands with it.

Peter,

Guest wanted

Bored with their Ipods, Ipads, apps on their laptops, designer clothes etc., etc., Boredom is no excuse for barbaric behaviour!

I had a similar experience in Manchester whilst waiting for the Barton swing bridge to be repaired and being stranded at the south end of the entrance. Leaving Mrs Doorman and our dog on board the boat that was moored along the towpath, I ventured up onto the pedestrian bridge hoping to see some progress, when three 'hoodies' edged along to the staircase. One of them walked up to ask me for some 'skins', whilst the other two remained at the foot of the stairs, probably there to block my exit if I'd done a runner.

Anticipating the potential outcome of this dodgy encounter, I pretended to be on my mobile phone and in contact with the bridge operator whom had this have been true, would have been able to see me and the bored youths from his watch tower. Thankfully, my bluff worked and the sound of police sirens in the distance only served to add to the desired effect. The three youths (in their early twenties) hovered around the undergrowth adjacent to the footbridge for a few minutes, then scampered away on their undersized bikes.

It was only when I returned to the boat did my wife explain that these paragons of virtue, were loitering around the boat with a view to untying the mooring lines. My plight could have been far more serious, only for my phone scam that certainly worked in conning these characters into believing they were being watched from the tower.

Having met with a boater who is local to that area, he confirmed that you have to be vigilant whilst cruising through Patricroft on your boat and if you do have to stop, try and avoid doing so on the towpath side.

Mike

That's one of the major problems! It's no longer our country, it's Treasure Island where no end of people from distant lands embark on a journey to exploit our welfare system that's already oversubscribed. Why else do they try every trick under the sun to get here, it's certainly not to enjoy the climate!

Are you suggesting that the problems around victoria park are related to the criminals ethnicity?

Are you suggesting that the problems around victoria park are related to the criminals ethnicity?

Surely not!

And risk breaking the English terms of ethnic appeasement rules. :rolleyes:

WJM's post #23 stated clearly that in his particular experience, he was approached by a group of ethnic 'Yuff'. Thankfully, his presence of mind enabled him to diffuse the situation. On another occasion, the situation could well have been different!

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Guest wanted

Unhelpful and irellevent IMO. Criminals are criminal wherever they come from.

Ironically the one place where I see a true exceptance of diversity is amongst young people in London. Quite impressive I think.

Edited by wanted

Unhelpful and irellevent IMO. Criminals are criminal wherever they come from.

Ironically the one place where I see a true exceptance of diversity is amongst young people in London. Quite impressive I think.

I can see your point, criminal is a criminal, however, the police need a little more description than "well he looked like a criminal". The poster stated a fact, I don't see the need to bring racism into it. A descriptive was used to state the facts, how you interpret that of course is your choice, but please, don't use your interpretation to belittle what's going on in the real world.

Guest wanted

Snip

I am saying the same thing, I think it was Doormans post that blured the lines between what is happening and ethnicity.

I am indeed in the real world IMHO

Edited by wanted

aye, stick to hackney ,islington, tottenham lock and stonebridge jakub ;)

Matty - the other day I saw your Photo' of Torpedo Tubes (ref some other thread)

If you possess other similarly sourced "military equipment" - you may well find a potential business opportunity in hiring it out to potential moorers at Victoria Park?

If i HAVE to go down the Paddington arm, or up the arse end of the Lea i only moor on the offside at night, on old wharves, or backs of factories, the place is a third world ghetto, full of sour faced hostile people. Some mentalists will even stop over at Camden lock, that,s like a mad max film.

London is now a giant immigrant camp, for every failed countries runaways.