What Cooker

Hukel

Featured Posts

Hello,

I am looking for advise on what cooker to buy for my boat I am currently fitting out. I was originally hoping to get a high quality range cooker that ran on LPG however initial research has come up fairly empty in this department. Can anybody recommend a good high end cooker (oven and hob either combined or separate) that will function well.

Thanks

Hugh

We bought a Cannon which we are very pleased with. It does require 240v for the ignition and the clock and for a small fan which keeps the controls cool when the grill is used, but this wasn't a problem as we have an inverter (as a short-term measure I bought a cheap - £30 - inverter and put it in a kitchen cupboard). It is very well made and (unlike many of the LPG cookers) the grill actually works.

Look on line at the major retailers (Comet, Currys etc) and most will say whether or not they are suitable for use in flats. If they are, as Robbo says, they will be fitted with the safety devices that are required for use on boats. Most either come with two sets of jets (one for natural gas, one for LPG) or as in the case of our Cannon you can buy the cooker in different versions for the different gas. When you find one (or more) you like, go to the store and have a good look at it, then go home and order it on line from somewhere much cheaper.

Whatever you do, don't pay the chandlers' prices, and beware that some of the cookers in the chandleries are rubbish, such as the New World one that we mistakenly bought and then quickly sold again on eBay.

Hello,

I am looking for advise on what cooker to buy for my boat I am currently fitting out. I was originally hoping to get a high quality range cooker that ran on LPG however initial research has come up fairly empty in this department. Can anybody recommend a good high end cooker (oven and hob either combined or separate) that will function well.

Thanks

Hugh

As you mention quality rather than price why not dump the LPG altogether and look at Wallas Diesel products, the hob can even provide boost heat for the cabin if needed. You may well have ongoing savings on insurance and fuel also.

after a lot of searching for a gas cooker withdouble oven, flame safety device, glass lid and a seperate grill/oven from the main oven we settled for the following:

HOTPOINT HUG52K 50CM FREE STANDING from sales@fires-.co.uk for £365.00 back in june 2010

you will need to change the jets in the grill,oven and burners. 240 is required for ignition,clock and lights.

when ordering the sales dep't couldn't confirm that the l.p.g. jets were supplied, but on delivery they were enclosed.

after a lot of searching for a gas cooker withdouble oven, flame safety device, glass lid and a seperate grill/oven from the main oven we settled for the following:

HOTPOINT HUG52K 50CM FREE STANDING from sales@fires-.co.uk for £365.00 back in june 2010

you will need to change the jets in the grill,oven and burners. 240 is required for ignition,clock and lights.

when ordering the sales dep't couldn't confirm that the l.p.g. jets were supplied, but on delivery they were enclosed.

I know this will be fround on by forum members, but any one with a pillar drill can convert natural gas jets to lpg jets, its only the bore size thats different, the exteral threads (of the jet )are the same, its just a case of drilling the main jet. Not really rocket sceince. but them, we live in a country where we are conditioned to just fork out all the time. :cheers:

Hello,

Thanks

Hugh

I've certainly seen high quality range cookers running on LPG - -

I suggest you start by looking at the range(s) you'd like - and then exploring how to re-jet it/them (& they must have flame protection device)

Edited by Grace & Favour

Hello all,

Thanks for all the replys it's fantastic finding this wealth of support online!

What questions do I need to ask to insure that every burner on the oven, grill & hobs etc are safe for use on a boat? This is where I have fallen down before.

H

Hello all,

What questions do I need to ask to insure that every burner on the oven, grill & hobs etc are safe for use on a boat? This is where I have fallen down before.

H

You just need to know that every burner has a flame failure device.

Hello all,

H

AFAIK, the two key questions are

1) do they have a flame protection device fitted?

2) Are they/do you have LPG suitable jets?

Thirdly

3) What will the consumption ((litres per minute?)) of the equipment be (LPG of course) (You can check on the Calor website to determine their bottle's recommended delivery maximum.

And, just for a moment's thought - - - - All the armed forces have access to big ranges to cook for their servicemen - and they use Calor gas - so they must be made

I'm not suggesting that you kit out your boat like a forward position in the desert (:rolleyes:) - but I know that Anchor Supplies have frequently had military stainless steel oven & hob units in stock

Give them a call/visit - they keep a great deal more stock than is just on their website . . (and is full of boys toys)

Hello all,

H

Ask if it is suitable for installation in a flat (or multi-occupancy dwelling). In order to be sold as suitable for this purpose there must be Flame Supervision Devices on all hobs grill and oven. This information is often stated in the retailer's on-line details, but if not the manufacturer's website or email enquiries can answer the question for you.

A massive thanks for all the advise. It looks like we may have found something that complies. I will post the details when I find out for sure.

We are also now looking at the possibility of a solid fuel stove. Has any one got any advise on these, any useful lessons learnt?

A massive thanks for all the advise. It looks like we may have found something that complies. I will post the details when I find out for sure.

We are also now looking at the possibility of a solid fuel stove. Has any one got any advise on these, any useful lessons learnt?

What size of boat have you? - - - will the stove be right at one end of the boat - - or slightly more amidships?

There are many solid fuel stoves available - from cheap n cheerful, to reliable, to reliable and slightly overpriced

Are you after a new unit, or an older/second-hand 'traditional type' of unit?

I know this will be fround on by forum members, but any one with a pillar drill can convert natural gas jets to lpg jets, its only the bore size thats different, the exteral threads (of the jet )are the same, its just a case of drilling the main jet. Not really rocket sceince. but them, we live in a country where we are conditioned to just fork out all the time. :cheers:

Just out of interest - what would the bore size be for LPG, compared to natural gas?

Alex

Just out of interest - what would the bore size be for LPG, compared to natural gas?

Alex

fast/large burner liquid gas nozzle 1/100 ( mm ) 80 natural gas 118

semi fast/ medium burner 70 104

auxillary/small 52 76

main oven 71 115

grill 94 134

top oven 66 104

the above spec taken from hotpoint handbook.

as you can see nozzles will have to be changed from natural gas to liquid gas because the sizes are smaller.

i suppose it would be possible to bore out if changing the other way round, but would would involve a lot of hassle

to get the correct size drill bits.

What size of boat have you? - - - will the stove be right at one end of the boat - - or slightly more amidships?

There are many solid fuel stoves available - from cheap n cheerful, to reliable, to reliable and slightly overpriced

Are you after a new unit, or an older/second-hand 'traditional type' of unit?

The boat is a 70ft widebeam and we are planning on putting the cooker in almost the centre of the boat, so it shouldn't cause too many complications withe ballast. There's already 10 tonnes of ballest in, which we will have to re-arrange on completion of the fit out.

I would say we are after something cheap and cheerful looking at the retail prices, however we don't want to be let down by a faulty appliance! We would want something reliable, any idea of how much we would need to pay for this/what's available?

Thanks

Hugh

The boat is a 70ft widebeam and we are planning on putting the cooker in almost the centre of the boat, so it shouldn't cause too many complications withe ballast. There's already 10 tonnes of ballest in, which we will have to re-arrange on completion of the fit out.

I would say we are after something cheap and cheerful looking at the retail prices, however we don't want to be let down by a faulty appliance! We would want something reliable, any idea of how much we would need to pay for this/what's available?

Thanks

Hugh

Have you looked at the Beko DVG592? Around £280, freestanding double oven/grill. FSDs on all burners and LPG convertable. They'll send you the conversion kit free of charge on request.

We've just taken delivery of ours but not fitted yet. Seems solid enough.

C.

Edited by jckm2000