Severn Railway Bridge

PaulG

Featured Posts

Interesting video on Youtube that was taken soon after the 1960 disaster that resulted in the demolition of the railway bridge that was used to transport coal over from the Forest of Dean.

A coaster is seen passing though the swing bridge on the G & S canal.

The abutment and circular support for the swing bridge still stand on the approaches to Sharpness, and some of the bridge pier foundations are still visible at low water in the estuary.

Interesting video on Youtube that was taken soon after the 1960 disaster that resulted in the demolition of the railway bridge that was used to transport coal over from the Forest of Dean.

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing. We often moor down at Sharpness and it's full of great sights, but that swing bridge support is amazing.

The Vindicatrix training ship was where my son-in-law's brother was trained.

I understand network rail is looking into reinstating the bridge to the heavy traffic using the Severn Tunnel.

Not sure how that would fit in with the plans to open the line from the Docks to near the junction with the Gloucester/Bristol line as a heritage/community railway.

There is a very good book detailing the disaster and the problems of moving oil cargoes on the Severn estuary. and i found this vey detailed account. http://www.severntales.co.uk/severn-bridge-disaster.html

Interesting bloke, Chris Witts. Among other things, he used to skipper the grain barges that ran from Avonmouth up to Healing's Mill at Tewkesbury (now closed).

AAIR he was also Mayor of Gloucester a couple of years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

This video was made by a real Severn enthusiast and great friend of mine.

Sorry if it's been mentioned before and I've missed it, but you do know that the two Harkers tankers that were involved, the Arkendale H and the Wastdale H, stil lie in the channel, close to the site of the old rail crossing? You can see them at low water, lying together like old friends, and I find the sight very moving. Apparently, on the night it occurred, the whole river was alight with the spilt fuel and gas.

A few random notes, We used to keep Ripple near this and studied the bridge, and I knew of it when I lived in Cardiff.

The bridge was hit by two petrol tankers, Wasdale H and Arkendale H, one or both of them exploded taking a pier and two spans out. The wreckage of the barges can still be seen at low tide.

There should have been a gang of workmen on the span that collapsed, but they had been given dispensation to stay in the signal box to listen to the Henry Cooper boxing fight on the radio. That said, I can't find a reference to which fight it was.

I've met someone who claims to have lost friends in the collision, a volunteer at Slimbridge. He also stated that he and his mates lived in lydney and would have a night out in Sharpness and walk across the bridge. I seem to recall that it was an open girder structure, with no floor under the sleepers. I'm not sure I would want to walk across such a bridge when three sheets to the wind.

I have heard that RAF pilots used to fly under the bridge for a dare, and also that one did so forgetting he was in a plane with a fixed undercarriage. The difference was allegedly critical...

John, take a look. http://canalsidecamera.weebly.com/severn-bridge-disaster.html

The images and the description tell and show all. (Save the fire and the heartache for those lost).

Thanks Derek. When I worked down there I knew several of the relations of the lost crews. It affected the whole of the Vale for many years.

You keeping well? Still bu**ering about with that old icebreaker......?

Regards, John.

• 3 weeks later...

River Severn Publications also produced a book written by Chris Witts- the Severn Bridge Disaster, 25th October 1960, ISBN 978-0-9532711-3-9 in 2010 that describes the loss of the John Harker tanker barges Wastdale H (built 1951 by John Harker) and Arkendale H (built as a dumb tanker barge by Richards Ironworks, Lowestoft in 1937 and rebuilt 1948 as a motor tanker barge). There were 8 crew on these vessels, 5 were lost after they hit pier 17 of the Severn Railway Bridge (in fog and having missed the entrance to Sharpness Docks)and burst into flames after hitting the bridge. These craft carried on upstream to a spot on the mud and sand where the hulks remain, and can be sometimes seen during period of low water.

Ray Shill

Edited by Heartland