BMC 1.8

Flocal

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am not altogether sure the Sherpa ever had a 1.8 like we use, but maybe early ones did. The fuel filter should be the equivalent of a CAV 296.

It's what was recommended up thread, and on Wikipedia it also suggests the Sherpa used a B series 1.8 diesel. ECP also lets me specify Sherpa 1986 1.8 diesel which is what I did!

Anyway what I've just ordered is a Mann 916/1 which seems to be equivalent to Fram PH2857 as suggested above (strangely enough it's what's in the picture at https://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/Filters-Lube/SpinOn/3-4.16UN/FFR-PH2857 ) - at least that's what the ECP picture of what I ordered is - https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/501590059

Edited by aracer

30 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am not altogether sure the Sherpa ever had a 1.8 like we use, but maybe early ones did. The fuel filter should be the equivalent of a CAV 296.

Early Sherpas definitely used the BMC B series 1800 engine.

It always used to amuse me that my boat engine could have had an earlier life working for BW.

The diesel version of that van must have been a real sluggard, surely?

Sherpa_001.jpg

13 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Early Sherpas definitely used the BMC B series 1800 engine.

It always used to amuse me that my boat engine could have had an earlier life working for BW.

The diesel version of that van must have been a real sluggard, surely?

Sherpa_001.jpg

Some 1.8 BMC Sherpas were Rated at 50 BHP and revved to 4400 RPM.have never driven one but would guess they were not too awful?

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Suspect that you bought a later Sherpa filter, its got a totally different engine, it was called LDV

Well on ECP I put 1986 Freight Rover Sherpa 1.8 diesel, which according to all information I've found should be have B series AKA BMC 1.8. I suspect the ECP system is wrong.

Anyway the one I got fits perfectly - so if anybody else wants to order from ECP then select 1980 MGB GT 1.8

Just need to check the fuel filter now - I guess that's likely to be wrong as well.

Edited by aracer

There was certainly something behind the holes - I'm assuming that was it. It's a Mann filter which seems to be generally recommended - the most expensive option at ECP, but the difference is pennies (and having managed to find a better discount code than when I bought the original I actually got a refund :) )

No boat should have only one fuel filter.......you should have a primary filter with a big enough element to handle water ,and preferably doubled up with a change over tap,and a final filter to protect the injector pump.I know 296 elements are widely used,but I have never liked them ,due to the ease of getting the gasket out of place,when changed in the dark,or with the boat rolling. And here a bit of advice.................never fit one of the glass sediment bowls to a 296,they often break just from stress,or a touch from a spanner............if you must have a sedimenter,use the alloy one.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, john.k said:

No boat should have only one fuel filter.......you should have a primary filter with a big enough element to handle water ,and preferably doubled up with a change over tap,and a final filter to protect the injector pump.I know 296 elements are widely used,but I have never liked them ,due to the ease of getting the gasket out of place,when changed in the dark,or with the boat rolling. And here a bit of advice.................never fit one of the glass sediment bowls to a 296,they often break just from stress,or a touch from a spanner............if you must have a sedimenter,use the alloy one.

Except if the thing has a 296 element its an agglomerator, not a seddimentor and in my view an agglomerator should not be the first water trap because  the element will block far easier than a sedimentor that uses an inverted cone to cyclone larger dirt and water droplets out of the fuel.

Any filter will act as an agglomerator so the engine filter will deal with the remaining 20% of water that would be very small droplets. I have a sedimentor & agglomerator in series on the fuel supply pipe to be sure.

I agree about the  glass bowls plus  in many cases it could be a BSS failure without documents to prove its fire resistance.

15 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Suspect that you bought a later Sherpa filter, its got a totally different engine, it was called LDV

Quite correct, the later ones had the Perkins Prima derived engine ( also fitted in the Montego) and some later ones even had a Peugeot 1.9.

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

Quite correct, the later ones had the Perkins Prima derived engine ( also fitted in the Montego) and some later ones even had a Peugeot 1.9.

Yep, I had one of the later ones and that had the Peugeot 1.9.  Bought it from the Rothen group, got it back to the garage and changed the timing belt and did a full service.  Surprised, when changing fuel filter, to find it was running on red.  Obviously someone had made a mistake....?