Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

Just now, RLWP said:

Far from it. And the quote she got was pretty reasonable

This isn't a classic 'JP-in-an-engine-room' boat. It appears to have been a home build with a wooden top

Richard

The more you describe it the more it sounds not worth £18k unless you wanted a JP. Each to their own I guess. 

1 minute ago, frangar said:

The more you describe it the more it sounds not worth £18k unless you wanted a JP. Each to their own I guess. 

£18K for a 60' home in London?

This was very much not your kind of boat.

If the Ebay advert is still there, there was a very nice Lister switch panel and a lovely pressure gauge in the engine room

I'd say it was home-build by an enthusiast in the 70's 

Richard

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

£18K for a 60' home in London?

This was very much not your kind of boat.

If the Ebay advert is still there, there was a very nice Lister switch panel and a lovely pressure gauge in the engine room

I'd say it was home-build by an enthusiast in the 70's 

Richard

I saw the switch panel! I thought she was taking it to the K & A? It matters not where it was going...£18k is a lot by the time you’ve done all the work that’s going to be needed. As I said it takes all sorts! 

On 28/09/2019 at 17:30, pete harrison said:

I am familiar with the Marine Power Services restored JP2 engines at about £13000 (plus options) but what should a good JP2M with Blackstone 2:1 gearbox be worth (as a potential purchaser who is familiar with the lengths of a piece of string) :captain: 

On 28/09/2019 at 17:34, RLWP said:

What's the market for them? It looks like a tired, manual start JP2M is worth about £1800

Richard

MPS will sell you a rebuilt JP2M for £13.2k, but are also advertising a JP3M rebuilt to the same standard for £9.35k. There's a similar price difference in their converted industrial JP2/3s. Since there is more work in rebuilding a 3 it seems that MPS feel that there is more market demand for a JP2 engines.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

MPS will sell you a rebuilt JP2M for £13.2k, but are also advertising a JP3M rebuilt to the same standard for £9.35k. There's a similar price difference in their converted industrial JP2/3s. Since there is more work in rebuilding a 3 it seems that MPS feel that there is more market demand for a JP2 engines.

The price differential between the market price of electric start JP2Ms and JP3 as core engines for restoration is the reason. £2500 for a rot free JP2M is around the going rate while we buy in JP3s at £500 or less.  The rotten water rail on the one being commented on was not à good sign. I reckon it sold for twice it's worth. As with Gardner's the twins are always worth way more than the three cylinder variants. Market forces.

22 hours ago, RLWP said:

As far as I can tell, 60' boat for £18K is quite a bargain

Maybe elastic is handy when comparing chalk and cheese. Who is buying JP2 engines these days?

Do you want another National?

Richard

Sent pm.

James

22 hours ago, RLWP said:

Maybe elastic is handy when comparing chalk and cheese. Who is buying JP2 engines these days?

Richard

Sent pm.

James

22 hours ago, RLWP said:

Richard

Sent pm.

James

9 hours ago, springy said:

Any idea what the gearbox is?

What's the "low and high speed selectable about"?

Depending on condition could be a powerful motor for someone at not a lot of money.

Needs to go in quite a big boat, if it is to be worked hard enough though.

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Any idea what the gearbox is?

Depending on condition could be a powerful motor for someone at not a lot of money.

Needs to go in quite a big boat, if it is to be worked hard enough though.

Sounds to me like it was a plant engine...or some sort of auxiliary engine on a boat. 

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

Sounds to me like it was a plant engine...or some sort of auxiliary engine on a boat. 

6 minutes ago, frangar said:

Possibly, although it looks like it has been mated to that gearbox for some time.

To me its usefulness depends on whether the gearbox is viable.  Trying to acquire a Blackstone box would likely cost twice the price being asked for the engine, (I've just spent close on a grand having one repaired), and my understanding is that converting to use something like a PRM is very expensive, (though I'm no expert).

With the right reduction and prop one of these will let you tow a couple of boats and still have a water skier at the back though!

27 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Perhaps an indication that it was used in a wheeled vehicle. Some four-wheel-drive cars have these (our last two Subarus did) and I think that lorries do, too.

19 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

It may have 3 reverse and 1 forward!

Many dumper engines are reverse mounted hence the exhaust pipe direction.

I'm sure that's the origin of the engine, now intrigued as to the effect a choice of reverse gears might have on the reversing of a narrow boat!

23 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

It may have 3 reverse and 1 forward!

Many dumper engines are reverse mounted hence the exhaust pipe direction.

Yes,

I was having a bit of a senior moment, I think, and didn't think about gearbox being on the opposite end to where a marine one would normally be.

So likely to need a lot of work to make it "proper marine".

If engine is sound, it could be a good buy as a replacement for someone who already has a knackered one, but with a good box, as having a 3-pot H series put in good order can quickly rack up costs greater than the £600 being asked here, (and I do have recent experience of this).

Otherwise probably not a good buy for someone not already owning a viable box.

It's been relisted...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264491767547?ViewItem=&item=264491767547&autorefresh=true

9 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

If engine is sound, it could be a good buy as a replacement for someone who already has a knackered one, but with a good box, as having a 3-pot H series put in good order can quickly rack up costs greater than the £600 being asked here, (and I do have recent experience of this).

And I still have for sale an ex standby HR3 with very low hours fitted with a Borg Warner 2:1 box on a proper Lister air cooled bell housing with  variable speed governor.  £1500.  Regards HughC.

Not technically an eBay engine yet as I thought I would offer it up on here for a week or so before it hits eBay. We now have available a fully reconditioned Samofa 2S108 genuine marine that was rebuilt for a customers new boat, however they had a change of plans and have now bought a second hand boat with a Gardner 2LW, so they have no need for this engine. Photos of the recon in progress on our site. Offers circa £6000.

Finished with the below spec

30hp @ 1500rpm

12 volt start

12v 175amp Iskra alternator

Custom gearbox output flange to PRM260/280 output pattern

Conversion to gear driven jabsco water pump

samofa_2s108_016.jpg

samofa_2s108_017.jpg