Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

It's beautiful, very similar colour to my boat. I like it a lot.

Now to check down the back of the sofa....

Magnifying one of the pics to read the small print, I noticed that it bears a plate proclaiming that it was "Restored by Tony Redshaw". It should be in top mechanical condition, then.

Now to check down the back of the sofa....

I'm sure if you talk nicely to Tony and Paul they will hold onto it for you whilst you dig down the back of the sofa :0)

I have one of these in storage, been waiting for the owner to finally decide he wants to do something with it. shame as I have been looking forward to overhauling it as it will make a change from Gardner's and Lister's.

Edited by martyn 1

I'm sure if you talk nicely to Tony and Paul they will hold onto it for you whilst you dig down the back of the sofa :0)

I have one of these in storage, been waiting for the owner to finally decide he wants to do something with it. shame as I have been looking forward to overhauling it as it will make a change from Gardner's and Lister's.

Are you saying that eBay seller "Mr. Speedy" is the Redshaws? I didn't imagine that they would need to resort to eBay to sell a rare and desirable engine.

Are you saying that eBay seller "Mr. Speedy" is the Redshaws? I didn't imagine that they would need to resort to eBay to sell a rare and desirable engine.

Photo 4 on the Ebay advert, you can see the tony redshaw plaque on the side of it. And the phone number is the one they list on there website.

Photo 4 on the Ebay advert, you can see the tony redshaw plaque on the side of it. And the phone number is the one they list on there website.

...as I mentioned in my post no. 1101, yes - but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's them selling it, unless I have missed something.

...as I mentioned in my post no. 1101, yes - but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's them selling it, unless I have missed something.

Why would someone put Redshaws telephone number into their advert?

Richard

Why would someone put Redshaws telephone number into their advert?

Richard

I didn't know that they had. But if so, it again raises the question, why on earth would Redshaw's need to sell an engine on eBay? Business must be slack.

Magnifying one of the pics to read the small print, I noticed that it bears a plate proclaiming that it was "Restored by Tony Redshaw". It should be in top mechanical condition, then.

That's almost as good as "Let him have it"...

I didn't know that they had. But if so, it again raises the question, why on earth would Redshaw's need to sell an engine on eBay? Business must be slack.

And maybe the engine belongs to one of them personally, rather than to the business. Have a look at the other items the seller has

Richard

Google the term, then read up on the court case.

Then see if you can draw any parallels, given the reputation Mr Redshaw has amongst certain posters on these boards...

I man still baffled. I did indeed look up 'Let Him Have It', but found only numerous references to an old British film. I am aware of Redshaws' reputation - they have been second to none for Gardners for some years and I believe they're famed as restorers of other engines too.

To be honest, why wouldn't they use eBay as one of many selling tools? Appollo duck, boatsandoutboards etc.

Occasionally we build engines on spec with no pre booked customer just because we feel like it. For example at the moment we are far from quiet, but in between a pair of Ailsa craigs and a Gardner 3LW, a 2LW starting in the next month and a pair of 6LXB's, a 3LW and a 8L3B for later in the year I am overhauling a Gardner 3L2. This is for no other reason than I had been looking at it in bits for ages and decided I wanted to see it running. So unless someone appears in the meantime saying I want that 3L2 (Which does happen fairly often when people have underestimated the turn around for a engine for there new boat and have already commissioned the hull and need an engine "yesterday") it will end up on the open market once it's finished as this is the easiest way to get it seen by a large audience.

Not an Ebay engine, but hopefully someone interested in this thread might be able to help.

I am trying to track down the cast iron connecting rod that drives the water pump on a venerable Thorneycroft Paraffin/Petrol "Handy Billy" DB2 marine engine.

There must have been thousands of them made over the years, they were used in ships lifeboats and yachts and lots of small fishing boats used them as an ancillary and there are probably hundreds of them quietly mouldering in corners of boatyards.

If anyone knows of one going for spares I would be very grateful for the information.

I have had a kind offer from someone to cast a replica using the broken original as a pattern but it would obviously be preferable to have an original if possible.

(also it will be quite a lot of machining involved)

I have had a kind offer from someone to cast a replica using the broken original as a pattern but it would obviously be preferable to have an original if possible.

(also it will be quite a lot of machining involved)

And it will be approx 10% too small

Richard

The other option I was looking at was having the body lasered out of a billet of aluminium or even out of a bit of 25mm mild steel plate.

It isn't exactly under great strain as the engine is only 9 Hp. We were even considering making one out of hardwood. The max crankshaft speed is only 1,100 rpm.

It is all do-able but just a heck of a lot of work, It would be much better to find an original part even if it requires overhauling.

And it will be approx 10% too small

Richard

Not if the moulder is told what the new casting is needed for. A certain amount of highly skilled rap and you will have a proper sized replacement to machine. Mind you, where you find a skilled moulder still at work in UK is another question altogether.

N

Not if the moulder is told what the new casting is needed for. A certain amount of highly skilled rap and you will have a proper sized replacement to machine. Mind you, where you find a skilled moulder still at work in UK is another question altogether.

N

3D printer springs to mind icecream.gif

3D printer springs to mind icecream.gif

I've got access to a good one if anyone here wants to try that route.

Needs a 3D model of the shape of course, but can do that from dimensioned drawings or even laser scan smaller parts.

Things like scaling patterns for casting shrinkage, adding material to be machined off, etc, are relatively straightforward in software.

I don't actually kmow the detail of the item here but if the part is simple eough a polystyrene pattern may be an economical solution for a one-off. Either a 3 -D printer or a CNC router will produce one from a 3D CAD model. If you have one!

N

• 2 weeks later...