Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Neil Smith said:

Not the same engine if you look properly, different oil filters, different nut that holds the copper pipe to the jabsco water pump to name a couple, probably more if I could print of and lay side by side but cant be asked.

Neil

I think you will find it is the same engine but two different photo sets. One prior to a bit of a tidy up and the later after. There is a load of non standard parts on the engine configured in exactly the same way on both with over spray on the paint in the same places on both and with the same configuration of pipe fittings, both engine sat on the same cradle with the bell housing end of the engine supported on the same wooded blocks. As you said the nut has changed on the water pump outlet but if you look at the photo on the less shiny advert you can also see some verdigris so I expect someone has fixed a water leak between the two photos but still the same engine. Oh and its had a new breather filter with the righting the other way up.

Edited by martyn 1

49 minutes ago, jenevers said:

And one of the sellers has been on EBay since 2007, with only 9 transactions since then and no feedback at all over the last year!

I suspect he doesn’t want paying via PayPal.

Au contraire, I bet he will INSIST on payment by PayPal.

Just not via ebay.

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 08:37, Neil Smith said:

The Manchester one gives an address and phone no so could be checked out.

Neil

An update, the chap in Manchester has the engine in his garage and bought it from the other seller 18 months ago and has no idea why he has advertised it again, he has tried contacting him to no avail and may pay him a visit to see what he is playing at.

Neil

44 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

An update, the chap in Manchester has the engine in his garage and bought it from the other seller 18 months ago and has no idea why he has advertised it again, he has tried contacting him to no avail and may pay him a visit to see what he is playing at.

Neil

Yes, the Manchester one appears to be legit.  Phrases like "collection from Manchester" "viewing welcome".  Hard to see how that's a scam.

I have no connection with the sale of this, or any other engine. 

On 23/04/2018 at 06:46, jenevers said:

Why, if it’s a scam? 

Because it isn’t a scam if you can turn up with a trailer, pay cash and take it away. The scam only works if you can fool someone into paying in advance by PayPal for an engine you don’t own and can’t deliver.

So from what NB Esk says, one listing is real and legit, the other is a scam. They can both supply the same engine at the end of the two auctions. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Ok, so I just went to check my eBay watch list, as I had the "scam" engine on it, and it's disappeared.  Assuming that's because the buyer will have been directed to a clone site (as suggested by Mtb on another thread) where he will have been separated from his cash and won't see any engine.  Hopefully the buyer will have been wise to the scam and will have been playing the scammers. 

26 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Ok, so I just went to check my eBay watch list, as I had the "scam" engine on it, and it's disappeared.  Assuming that's because the buyer will have been directed to a clone site (as suggested by Mtb on another thread) where he will have been separated from his cash and won't see any engine.  Hopefully the buyer will have been wise to the scam and will have been playing the scammers. 

Mr. Esk, I have just read your footnotes, and I wonder which vintage engines were built in Staffordshire. I should know but I can't remember.

49 minutes ago, Athy said:

Mr. Esk, I have just read your footnotes, and I wonder which vintage engines were built in Staffordshire. I should know but I can't remember.

Yes it a Dorman 2lb, the poor mans Gardner, lol...

36 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Dorman were producing diesel engines in Staffordshire from 1869 until 1995.

http://www.dormandiesels.com/history

That's the one Cuthound.  Bought from eBay many years ago, happily before people started selling non existent engines.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Because it isn’t a scam if you can turn up with a trailer, pay cash and take it away. The scam only works if you can fool someone into paying in advance by PayPal for an engine you don’t own and can’t deliver.

Or in the case of a National engine I saw some time ago, advertiser in London, engine in Scotland but wanted the buyer to pay by bank transfer to an account in Luton. He wasn't interested in my offer of cash on collection!

14 hours ago, NB Esk said:

Yes it a Dorman 2lb, the poor mans Gardner, lol...

That's the one Cuthound.  Bought from eBay many years ago, happily before people started selling non existent engines.

I put many medium sized (250-1000kVA) generator sets on and a couple of 2000kVA generators in that used Dorman engines and visited their factory after Broadcrown bought them.

A bit too big for use in a narrow boat though.

• Haha 1

Believe that bigger Dormans were widely used in generators, as in post above. When used in railway locos they had a reputation for throwing con-rods! Perhaps due to more variable nature of the loading.

I work in the Isle of Man, and we have a little "Simplex" shunting loco (3' gauge) which has a 2 cylinder Dorman in it, seen here going away for an overhaul.

P1010004.JPG.776aca8800c2824f4c6c121b4fa3ceae.JPG

The main issue with the bigger Dormans when used as generating sets, was poor load acceptance.

This is because they were highly turbocharged, so a chicken and egg situation arose, whereby they needed load to get heat into the exhaust gases to drive the turbocharger, before they could accept load.

The BT load acceptance specification was more onerous than most. 110% load from cold (although crankcase heaters were used to keep coolant at about 50°C to prevent unnecessary wear and improve load acceptance) for normally aspirated engines and 70% load followed by 30% load within 30 seconds for a turbocharged engine.

Before anyone points out that I have said 110% load, that is the resistive electrical load on the alternator, not the kW(E) rating of the engine.

Generators are usually specified either with a "standby" rating of 100% load continuously, with 1 hour in 12 at 110% load, or with a "fuel stop" rating, which is usually at 125% electrical load but limited to a maximum of 250 running hours per annum.

I only ever heard of one major failure of a large Dorman, where a V16 V16 2000kVA jobby broke its crankshaft when it oversped after consuming to own lube oil and the air shut-off valve operated which brought the engine to a very rapid stop.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, springy said:

Very interesting. 

What's the thing on the end of the engine above the output shaft, that looks like a magneto?

Godiva are a manufacturer of fire pumps,sprinkler booster pumps,etc.......very costly gear with very fine clearances...............and for some reason they loved Coventry Engines,which no one else does...............Your motor has been salvaged from a fire fighting set,and the old SCG box added................how many orphans in one lot.?

5 hours ago, john.k said:

Godiva are a manufacturer of fire pumps,sprinkler booster pumps,etc.......very costly gear with very fine clearances...............and for some reason they loved Coventry Engines,which no one else does...............Your motor has been salvaged from a fire fighting set,and the old SCG box added................how many orphans in one lot.?

I did find myself wondering why it was removed from a NB and replaced with a Gardner...

Asbestos mania has killed most odd engines deader than they already were........out here its a crime to sell asbestos products,so all the NOS headgaskets have been dumped.........and solid copper gaskets are simply useless on the vast majority of diesels......but I cant understand why anyone with a hankering for old motors doesnt simply get a Perkins......I reckon a 3/152 would be ideal,or a 4/203 ....or a bit bigger a 4/236..............they are all from the sixties,and cheap spares are abundant..............no thousand quid heads cast in mud hut using yak dung.