Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, frangar said:

I make no comment on the seller of this engine not knowing their arse from their elbow.....but who knew Beta made a JP2....???

Scroll down to the description to see what I mean......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164508549592?ul_noapp=true

Interesting that when you get to the end of the description it says "VAT is applicable on all sales", meaning that the engine advertised at £7,000 will cost you £8,400.

And directly contravenes Ebay's rules which say:

Items sold within the European Union

If the item's located in the EU, the listing price is VAT-inclusive, where applicable. Sellers may not add VAT to the final sale price after an item has sold.

26 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Interesting that when you get to the end of the description it says "VAT is applicable on all sales", meaning that the engine advertised at £7,000 will cost you £8,400.

And directly contravenes Ebay's rules which say:

Items sold within the European Union

If the item's located in the EU, the listing price is VAT-inclusive, where applicable. Sellers may not add VAT to the final sale price after an item has sold.

Who would have thought that RCR might have some sharp business practice......

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Who would have thought that RCR might have some sharp business practice......

Not me. They're a most reputable company in my experience.

The statement that V.A.T. is applicable doesn't mean that it hasn't been applied - the £7,000 price probably includes it.

24 minutes ago, Athy said:

... the £7,000 price probably includes it.

That's how I read it. 

Refurbished  Beta JP2 Diesel Marine Engine inc Borg Warner gearbox (Price inc VAT) .

It's in the first line of the description. 

Edited by Canal321

20 minutes ago, PeterG said:

But what is the engine, the title looks right but then the body of the text confuses?

It has got both a warrenty and warranty what ever they are.

Ask nicely and they might throw in a guarantee as well, or maybe a guarentee.

On 13/11/2020 at 13:45, Athy said:

Not me. They're a most reputable company in my experience.

The statement that V.A.T. is applicable doesn't mean that it hasn't been applied - the £7,000 price probably includes it.

They may well be reputable but they employ some contractors that are absolute chancers.

The Lister JP and Beta JD do get confused from time to time, very different engines, so a company supplying engines really should know better. What is more concerning is the confusion between a 2 and a 3 cylinder engine, that's a very basic counting error.   I have actually met a dog that can do better maths than this, but it was a border collie ?.

...............Dave

7 minutes ago, dmr said:

The Lister JP and Beta JD do get confused from time to time, very different engines, so a company supplying engines really should know better. What is more concerning is the confusion between a 2 and a 3 cylinder engine, that's a very basic counting error.   I have actually met a dog that can do better maths than this, but it was a border collie ?.

...............Dave

I think it says rather a lot about the mechanical prowess of RCR!! 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Kelvin K2 with gearbox

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325362081884

Coventry Victor HDW2 Vixen Marine Diesel and Gearbox non runner

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255459933784

Sabb single non runner

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293973867336

Sabb twin non runner

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304010395469

springy

Edited by springy
add sabbs

No one wants vintage diesels any more ..... I had to give away a really nice  4LW Gardner a couple of months ago .......still in the crane ,left it with the people where the crane is now ........I told him not to scrap the motor ....its an original 1960 Gardner power pack.,

12 hours ago, MtB said:

It's really quite disappointing how when I started this thread an interesting engine came up on ebay every couple of weeks or so. 

Now there's been nothing for over a year until Springy posted above.

Is it because it is now virtually impossible to fit such an engine into a new boat because of government legislation? I'm not sure if that applies to all British boats or just those on the inland waterways. But the law must have reduced demand drastically.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is it because it is now virtually impossible to fit such an engine into a new boat because of government legislation? I'm not sure if that applies to all British boats or just those on the inland waterways. But the law must have reduced demand drastically.

The passing of Mr Hudson reduced the demand drastically overnight!

It's still possible to fit a vintage engine in a new shell, but most high volume builders don't produce suitable shells. 

(I'm guessing it was you I spoke to briefly about Gardner's last week, I was 2L2 powered and looking for the water point)

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes indeed!

That was the start of an interesting trip!

I'd just picked it up in Banbury,  and on mooring at Claydon top that evening found the batteries were bone dry (charger left on), so no power or water without engine running,  and no gas as the pipes were full of that lovely brown gunge. The engine ran beautifully through,  or it did until it started pulling all the crud out of the fuel tank!

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, noddyboater said:

That was the start of an interesting trip!

I'd just picked it up in Banbury,  and on mooring at Claydon top that evening found the batteries were bone dry (charger left on), so no power or water without engine running,  and no gas as the pipes were full of that lovely brown gunge. The engine ran beautifully through,  or it did until it started pulling all the crud out of the fuel tank!

So, the boat is new to you? It doesn't sound as if its previous owner had looked after it very well - or perhaps it had lain unused for a long period?

34 minutes ago, Athy said:

So, the boat is new to you? It doesn't sound as if its previous owner had looked after it very well - or perhaps it had lain unused for a long period?

It's a boat I've known for years but has unfortunately been sat idle on it's mooring recently.  I was taking it up to New & Used at Mercia as it's going up for sale. 

Would have been a nice little 5 day trip if the Coventry wasn't closed of course..

I've got a 3L2 in my boat so still in the club! 

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

I've got a 3L2 in my boat so still in the club! 

Ah how lovely. A proper vintage lump with a flywheel you can see going round, unlike them newfangled modern LWs....

Edited by MtB
Grammar
  • Haha 1