Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

On 09/10/2019 at 23:56, Canal321 said:

Dorman 2 dsm Linky 

What sort of HP are these?

I put one in my first NB in 1978. Only 10HP at 1000RPM, direct drive with clutches you need to adjust, standard CAV fuel stuff. Would suit a shallow draft boat up to about 40 feet. Can be very difficult to start in winter as I remember. They also made  a four cylinder version with many interchangeable parts. Not easy to fit an alternator in place of the dynamo and there is no front pully on the engine as the handstart covers it over.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A lot to big for a narrowboat but our pair of Gleniffer DC3's are up for sale. large discount for CWDF members of course ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254514484715

Finally decided that with an ever growing pile of Gardners, Listers, Dormans etc we are never going to get the chance to fiddle with them so got to go. Tiny engines at 2300 kg ish each.......

Edited by martyn 1

1 hour ago, martyn 1 said:

A lot to big for a narrowboat but our pair of Gleniffer DC3's are up for sale. large discount for CWDF members of course ?

Finally decided that with an ever growing pile of Gardners, Listers, Dormans etc we are never going to get the chance to fiddle with them so got to go. Tiny engines at 2300 kg ish each.......

Did you ever get any nearer to importing that Gardner VT twin from Argentina? 

3 hours ago, martyn 1 said:

What splendid beasties!

Why don't you keep them and breed from them?  I'd be interested in one of their calves.

15 hours ago, martyn 1 said:

We scrapped the remains of a Gleniffer DB4 and a Dorman 4DSM this week. I hate doing that

Richard

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

We scrapped the remains of a Gleniffer DB4 and a Dorman 4DSM this week. I hate doing that

Richard

Definitely not something I like doing either. In the last 20 years I have managed to keep it to 2x 6LW Gardners, 1x Lister JP3, 2x Lister JK4's. They are were broken up for spares supply for other engines so as bad as just scrapped. They died so others could live....

58 minutes ago, David Mack said:

They look enormous. Just how does the length compare with a working boat engine room?

The DC3 with its gearbox is 7' 5 3/4" long............ and 2' 8" wide so you might have trouble getting it into a narrowboat engine room ?.

12 minutes ago, martyn 1 said:

Definitely not something I like doing either. In the last 20 years I have managed to keep it to 2x 6LW Gardners, 1x Lister JP3, 2x Lister JK4's. They are were broken up for spares supply for other engines so as bad as just scrapped. They died so others could live....

Indeed. Both have given up parts to other running engines. The Gleniffer was down to rusty, cracked parts and big heavy bits. I played with the idea of keeping the crank. The 4DSM had some spectacular frost damage!

I'm considering humanely culling some of the duds in our distressed engine pile too

Richard

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

Someone with a 70ft boat with a decent draft!! Much better than a tractor or bus engine.....

Yes, only most boats have an engine, people aren't fitting old engines into new boats, and it's a big thing to store as a spare - assuming you don't already have a spare

Richard

Just now, RLWP said:

Yes, only most boats have an engine, people aren't fitting old engines into new boats, and it's a big thing to store as a spare - assuming you don't already have a spare

Richard

Aren’t they?? Heathens!!! Part of my reason of having a boat is being able to tinker with a proper engine...if I wanted it to sound like a digger I’d buy a digger....

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, frangar said:

Aren’t they?? Heathens!!! Part of my reason of having a boat is being able to tinker with a proper engine...if I wanted it to sound like a digger I’d buy a digger....

You are firmly in my category 1! And probably in the final category too :D