Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 00:35, Canal321 said:

Just ended at £1809.00, increasing by just over £1000.00 in the last 30 seconds :captain:

edit = beaten to it by 'frangar'.

Edited by pete harrison
  • Haha 1

On 27/09/2019 at 11:22, billybobbooth said:

That me more than likely out then, I did ask about buy it now but he wanted 2k+ hence why I was watching quietly but I will prob not get it now as I've only got a small amount without eating into national work fund or boat fund (and there both too important to eat into

Sold for close to the £2k to an eBay virgin. Anyone on here?

2 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Just ended at £1809.00, increasing by just over £1000.00 in the last 30 seconds :captain:

The winning bid was placed 3 hours before the finish. A couple of others pushed the price up in the last few seconds.

2 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

Nope I stopped at 1.2k

I was sorely tempted to bid but that would have been my limit too.

My mind was at  low price I could afford a near full rebuild and throw it in towy or keep as spare while the national had full rebuild then sell one on, now it's a part rebuild of the national while it's in place over winter at bclm

9 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

What the guy wanting 2k and it selling for just under?

Well that and the whole story of the lady buying the boat but wanting a modern engine...it was quite a saga on Facebook...at least I wasn’t bidding against you!  I do wonder if it was a ghost bid to raise the price. Given the amount of work probably needed...and the fact it’s still in a boat at the moment I think £1200 was being generous. 

I had worked out about 800 to do all the work depending on what was needed and were parts were got from, could do cheaper if used non genuine parts like pistons and liners,

Yes it all seamed a bit odd the reasons for removing, but for me was an easy rebuild as could be done at home,

I don't think I saw it on Facebook

Edited by billybobbooth

1 minute ago, billybobbooth said:

Oh ok. My plan was to go look tomorrow on way to bclm if little one was still sleeping

I managed to get it started, it clearly needed some work though. She had clearly bought the boat to live on, and from the bit of googling I did it didn't cost a lot

Richard

2 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I am familiar with the Marine Power Services restored JP2 engines at about £13000 (plus options) but what should a good JP2M with Blackstone 2:1 gearbox be worth (as a potential purchaser who is familiar with the lengths of a piece of string) :captain: 

What's the market for them? It looks like a tired, manual start JP2M is worth about £1800

Richard

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

That's what she said when I saw the engine in the boat

Richard

Just seems odd to buy a boat with a vintage engine but wanting a “modern” engine. Not a cheap option by the time you’ve had the work done...and it’s not like boats with “modern quiet engines” in her words are uncommon! Oh well. Good luck to whoever has brought it! 

2 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I am familiar with the Marine Power Services restored JP2 engines at about £13000 (plus options) but what should a good JP2M with Blackstone 2:1 gearbox be worth (as a potential purchaser who is familiar with the lengths of a piece of string) :captain: 

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

What's the market for them? It looks like a tired, manual start JP2M is worth about £1800

Richard

£1800 to £13,000 is a piece of elastic, not string!

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, pete harrison said:

As with anything if you pick the right market and day yu might make 13k on one but you need that one buyer I would say normal price would be around 4-7k give or take,

The prob is a 13k engine might have had a full rebuild but it dosnt mean it's going to be a good engine, my dads old fr was ment to be rebuilt but leaked oil,

A 1k engine might seam shot but a man in his shed with right tools and mind set could rebuild one for next to nothing and still have a really good engine.

But again it's sometimes the market or timing.

I've got a painted water can one day I could make £60 another £500 as we all know too well

My plan was near full strip down and rebuild o er winter around 800 ish at even 1200 for engine I prob would have come in under 2k,

I could put my national on ebay at 500 starting it might sell for 1.5k or it could go for 9-10k given it's running and starts easy by hand but someone could see it as throw it in and your off another might go that needs a full rebuild when really it might just need piston cleaning

16 hours ago, RLWP said:

Richard

There was a guy who did the same with a Kelvin K2 which we very nearly purchased but they then decided to keep it instead. I think this is going to happen more and more as boats sell and people are wanting a lower maintenance turn key engine.

And we'll all be waiting!!

Kind regards

Dan

16 hours ago, RLWP said:

Richard

This is also how I came by my K1. 

Previous owners bought the boat not realising it was not 'key start', so removed it and had a JD3 fitted. 

15 hours ago, frangar said:

Just seems odd to buy a boat with a vintage engine but wanting a “modern” engine. Not a cheap option by the time you’ve had the work done...and it’s not like boats with “modern quiet engines” in her words are uncommon! Oh well. Good luck to whoever has brought it! 

As far as I can tell, 60' boat for £18K is quite a bargain

14 hours ago, David Mack said:

£1800 to £13,000 is a piece of elastic, not string!

Maybe elastic is handy when comparing chalk and cheese. Who is buying JP2 engines these days?

10 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

My plan was near full strip down and rebuild o er winter around 800 ish at even 1200 for engine I prob would have come in under 2k,

I could put my national on ebay at 500 starting it might sell for 1.5k or it could go for 9-10k given it's running and starts easy by hand but someone could see it as throw it in and your off another might go that needs a full rebuild when really it might just need piston cleaning

Do you want another National?

Richard

6 minutes ago, RLWP said:

As far as I can tell, 60' boat for £18K is quite a bargain

So how much to change the steelwork/prop/ancillaries to fit a rear mounted engine plus all the refit....I’d suggest much of that £18k was in the JP! 

I’m guessing it wasn’t a new shell.....

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

So how much to change the steelwork/prop/ancillaries to fit a rear mounted engine plus all the refit....I’d suggest much of that £18k was in the JP! 

I’m guessing it wasn’t a new shell.....

Far from it. And the quote she got was pretty reasonable

This isn't a classic 'JP-in-an-engine-room' boat. It appears to have been a home build with a wooden top

Richard