Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's a weird looking HRW2. Nothing like mine was. 

Is it the flywheel on the wrong end, or the water pump and alternator?

The pump and alternator I'd say.  They look considerably less substantial mounting brackets than anything original would.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

The pump and alternator I'd say.  They look considerably less substantial mounting brackets than anything original would.

Inclined to agree. I've never seen a crankshaft pulley sandwiched between the flywheel and engine block. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Inclined to agree. I've never seen a crankshaft pulley sandwiched between the flywheel and engine block. 

Retrofit for larger pulley maybe? Faster alternator speeds at low revs?

I was also thinking that's a daft belt arrangement,  but on reflection it needs to fit over the flywheel.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Retrofit for larger pulley maybe? Faster alternator speeds at low revs?

No I mean the drive belt pulley alt and pump were on the opposite end to the gearbox on mine.

If you were retrofitting a bigger pulley, taking the flywheel off and fitting it behind, then putting the flywheel back  on makes no sense at all. 

Mebbe Richard will be along to explain woss going on....

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No I mean the drive belt pulley alt and pump were on the opposite end to the gearbox on mine.

But they are on this one as well, aren't they?

Gearbox and flywheel are at opposite ends of the engine, and at the ends I'd expect them to be on an H series engine.

41 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

But they are on this one as well, aren't they?

Gearbox and flywheel are at opposite ends of the engine, and at the ends I'd expect them to be on an H series engine.

You are of course correct. I blame the single malt.

What about the  crankshaft pulley driving the alternator though? Surely sandwiched between the flywheel and the engine is not the normal place for it on a HRW2.

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What about the  crankshaft pulley driving the alternator though? Surely sandwiched between the flywheel and the engine is not the normal place for it on a HRW2.

It looks like an after market adaptation, perhaps because the engine was originally installed in a set up needing neither alternator nor a water circulator.  Has the raised hand start pully arrangement/ space  been adapted to drive the belt I wonder? 

Whatever, the belt wrap at the bottom pulley must be pretty small   so the alternator max output can't be that great.

N

No internal engine cooling water pump or the Jabsco which would circulates canal water  through the heat exchanger/ header tank if it was there. New arrangement for an external water circulating pump which suggests either a skin tank or total loss system - canal water in - through engine - out over the side.

4 minutes ago, BEngo said:

It looks like an after market adaptation, perhaps because the engine was originally installed in a set up needing neither alternator nor a water circulator.  Has the raised hand start pully arrangement/ space  been adapted to drive the belt I wonder? 

Whatever, the belt wrap at the bottom pulley must be pretty small   so the alternator max output can't be that great.

N

The listing says is is a marine HRW2, but as you say there is no raised hand start, no bowman-type heat exchanger for indirect water cooling and it generally looks nothing like mine did, although annoyingly I have no photos.

And yes the belt wrap is dire, and the belt tension is loose with the adjuster at the limit of its travel. The belt is too longs, and changing it involves I suspect, removing the starter motor to get it off past the pinion. The price of £3,750 seems either ambitious too, or I sold mine too cheap!!

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The price of £3,750 seems either ambitious too...

Yes,

Agree,

It is a used engine of unknown provenance or hours.

If it was nicely rebuilt, maybe, but it isn't - you don't know what you are getting.

If he thinks nothing can go wrong with a Blackstone box just because "they are well built", then I think that's more than optimistic!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Canal321 said:

Coincidence, I know of another JP2M for sale in good order that actually runs!

PM me for contact deets if anyone interested. I have no financial interest in the sale, just saying for a mate who is not particularly internet savvy.

19 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

If your interested the buy it now price is just over 2k

I was rather hoping that no one would be interested and I could make a cheeky offer!! 

edited to add

some bugger has found it and put a bid on in the last few minutes....not happy about that! 

Edited by frangar

1 hour ago, frangar said:

I was rather hoping that no one would be interested and I could make a cheeky offer!! 

edited to add

some bugger has found it and put a bid on in the last few minutes....not happy about that! 

That me more than likely out then, I did ask about buy it now but he wanted 2k+ hence why I was watching quietly but I will prob not get it now as I've only got a small amount without eating into national work fund or boat fund (and there both too important to eat into

13 minutes ago, BWM said:

The water rail above the changeover valves looks messed up, frost damage repair?

Or perhaps it has had bodged repairs after corroding through after years of operation in salt water with direct cooling. In which case the insides of the block, cylinder liners and heads might not be in great condition.

22 hours ago, David Mack said:

Or perhaps it has had bodged repairs after corroding through after years of operation in salt water with direct cooling. In which case the insides of the block, cylinder liners and heads might not be in great condition.

Either way there is cause for concern, i've heard that the gearboxes don't fare well on salt water cooling.