Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Your link leads to something called a "Vintage Soundmaster Bite Alarm". Is that what you intended?

Nope, i will edit with the correct link. Thanks for the heads up. 

Edited by BWM

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Ah, THAT looks more like it. The same Crossley company which used to build 'buses, I assume.

As an aside, Crossley's attempts to move from diesel engines for boats to diesel engines for railway locomotives, was an unmitigated disaster.  Very unusually they were two stroke rather than 4 stroke engines.

Most of the Crossley engined locomotive engines had only a very limited and unsuccessful working life.  The curious Co-Bo (3 axles on one bogie, but only two on the other) "Metrovic" design was such an example.

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

As an aside, Crossley's attempts to move from diesel engines for boats to diesel engines for railway locomotives, was an unmitigated disaster.  Very unusually they were two stroke rather than 4 stroke engines.

Most of the Crossley engined locomotive engines had only a very limited and unsuccessful working life.  The curious Co-Bo (3 axles on one bogie, but only two on the other) "Metrovic" design was such an example.

I certainly remember the CoBo, and its Hornby-Dublo miniature version which, being a poor seller, became a valuable collectable in later years (my friend sold his for plenty of £££). But, surely "Metrovick" was short for Metropolitan Vickers? What's the Crossley connection?

And, were they the same company that made the 'buses?

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Ah, THAT looks more like it. The same Crossley company which used to build 'buses, I assume.

Buses built in Stockport. Crossley-Premier engines was in Openshaw, East Manchester.Same originating company. Crossley cars  are rather good . I had relatives who worked at both Crossley works , There was some tie up with AEC at Southall in the 1950's, Crossley bus engine models  were dropped in favour of AEC and more recently, Rolls Royce took over the Openshaw works, closed it down and cleared the site. The Weaver ICI boat(Cuddington)  at the Boat Museum  has a Crossley direct reversing engine fitted , very nice it is too.

Edited by billh

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

I certainly remember the CoBo, and its Hornby-Dublo miniature version which, being a poor seller, became a valuable collectable in later years (my friend sold his for plenty of £££). But, surely "Metrovick" was short for Metropolitan Vickers? What's the Crossley connection?

And, were they the same company that made the 'buses?

The CoBos  used a Crossley 8cylinder engine and Metrovic electricals . MV was just across Manchester in Trafford Park and the locos  were assembled  at  the Dukinfield GCR wagon works. One loco, D5705 is undergoing restoration at the East Lancashire Railway, Bury.

Our little tug Kennet was fitted with a Crossley 3 cylinder air start engine, following the Gardner fitted on build in 1931.

The air start engines were fitted to several of the ICI Brunner motor coasters in 4 cylinder form.

1 minute ago, billybobbooth said:

i saw this it looks quite nice not really powerful enough for a boat though.

10 hp would power a reasonable sized boat, i would imagine it would sound good - 1500 rpm seems quite unusual for a single of that era.

2 minutes ago, BWM said:

10 hp would power a reasonable sized boat, i would imagine it would sound good - 1500 rpm seems quite unusual for a single of that era.

I know 10 is ok but on a bigger boat dosnt give anything extra for rivers or trouble but I'm still tempted, im not sure how easy it would be to marinise. I'm keeping an eye on it though as it would sound good

3 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

I know 10 is ok but on a bigger boat dosnt give anything extra for rivers or trouble but I'm still tempted, im not sure how easy it would be to marinise. I'm keeping an eye on it though as it would sound good

May well struggle on a full length boat but probably good up to 45ft or so, i wouldn't want to be flat out all the time on a motor with limited spares!

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, casper ghost said:

Not on eBay yet, but I'm thinking of selling my Dormant 2DSM as it's just sitting in the garage and I can't see me building another shell, which is what I got it for. 

That is a dormant Dorman 2DSM, just waiting to be woken up? Will this involve a prince and a kiss?  

;)

Edited by Stilllearning

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/02/2019 at 13:34, casper ghost said:

Can't imagine a Prince coming for it, unless Harry is building a shell..

Sold the Dorman. The chap is going to restore it to show at vintage engine rallies.. mounting it permanently on a trailer and even running it with a propeller in a perspex box. I can't wait to see it once it's finished.. He also bought my old Armstrong Siddley AS1. 

17 minutes ago, casper ghost said:

Sold the Dorman. The chap is going to restore it to show at vintage engine rallies.. mounting it permanently on a trailer and even running it with a propeller in a perspex box. I can't wait to see it once it's finished.. He also bought my old Armstrong Siddley AS1. 

You'll soon be able to upgrade to a Beta at this rate :giggles:

• Haha 1