Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

"Turmoil" moored alongside our two boats at this yeas Rickmansworth festival.

It is loud!

As was my Kelvin K1 initially.

I fixed that by welding a thing into the exhaust that looked remarkably like a 3.9kg gas bottle.

But it wasn't, obviously, coz that would of bin ILLEGAL. 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

As was my Kelvin K1 initially.

I fixed that by welding a thing into the exhaust that looked remarkably like a 3.9kg gas bottle.

But it wasn't, obviously, coz that would of bin ILLEGAL. 

On my brother's HR2, we first used an old, big, fire extinguisher, but it was too loud so replaced it with a Fordson Major silencer. My Ruston has a self made silencer, which is really just a 10" diameter x 14" cylinder, it's quite loud..  I've never seen a video of your Kelvin with the boat in motion...

Casp'

10 minutes ago, casper ghost said:

On my brother's HR2, we first used an old, big, fire extinguisher, but it was too loud so replaced it with a Fordson Major silencer. My Ruston has a self made silencer, which is really just a 10" diameter x 14" cylinder, it's quite loud..  I've never seen a video of your Kelvin with the boat in motion...

Casp'

Maybe there isn't one.... 

Surprisingly difficult to record a video of one's engine whilst steering one's bote! 

But I'll give it a try..... :D

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Maybe there isn't one.... 

Surprisingly difficult to record a video of one's engine whilst steering one's bote! 

But I'll give it a try..... :D

You could at least video the exhaust stack, like I did last week. I sit by my boat sipping tea waiting for the day a nice single cylinder pops by, only Sabbs and Yanmars so far. though I did pass a boat with a K1 many year's ago at Audlem..

9 minutes ago, casper ghost said:

You could at least video the exhaust stack, like I did last week. I sit by my boat sipping tea waiting for the day a nice single cylinder pops by, only Sabbs and Yanmars so far. though I did pass a boat with a K1 many year's ago at Audlem..

Catkin, obvs...

Sold now to peeps who came to see mine too. 

Ok I'll do one next time I go for water.... watch this space..........!

• Happy 1

48 minutes ago, flatplane8 said:

At least a ton and a quarter of it I reckon.

Tending towards the "too big" size for a narrow boat, possibly - it's never going to get worked very hard.

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

At least a ton and a quarter of it I reckon.

Tending towards the "too big" size for a narrow boat, possibly - it's never going to get worked very hard.

Equal size and weight to Lister JP3. Bomb proof, reliable, sounds lovely,slow tickover. Our 3VRH is still in its original 1949 Ruston Bucyrus"10RB"and will be staying there. You're right, too big for a narrowboat and a lot of faff to fit a suitable reversing  box,raised hand starting, different cooling circuit etc.

• 3 weeks later...

its been on for a while, having dropped by at least 1k already. the issue is that it doesn't have a marine bell housing, rather a plate with small gaps drilled to SAE PCD to bolt onto the leading edge of the fan shroud, and therefore massively limiting the airflow, so will run very hot. That and missing it's electric start which isn't that much of a deal breaker, but blocking air on an air cooled engine may be!

Dan

9 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

its been on for a while, having dropped by at least 1k already. the issue is that it doesn't have a marine bell housing, rather a plate with small gaps drilled to SAE PCD to bolt onto the leading edge of the fan shroud, and therefore massively limiting the airflow, so will run very hot. That and missing it's electric start which isn't that much of a deal breaker, but blocking air on an air cooled engine may be!

Dan

Ah I see, thanks. 

And AS engines apparently being complete bar stewards to hand start in the cold propably doesn't help!

On the other hand buying it for spares if you have one already seems a Good Eye Deer. 

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah I see, thanks. 

And AS engines apparently being complete bar stewards to hand start in the cold propably doesn't help!

On the other hand buying it for spares if you have one already seems a Good Eye Deer. 

They're ok if you blowtorch the fins.....

At that point it's a lot of money for spares, as most 2 pots go for 400 ish, so you're buying a paragon box for 1100 quid, and no raised hand start either.

As an aside I keep spares if people ever need them!

Kind Regards

Dan

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Knowing almost nothing about Kelvins, is it possible for a model 1K2 to be a 4 cylinder engine?

Likewise i know very little about Kelvin engines, but i'm sure someone here does.

Looks like a 4 cylinder  Model P.  Kelvin's small engine  follow up to the J range. 20 hp at 1500 rpm.  Details and handbook on Mike Skyner's site.

Not their greatest product IMO, even though they sold fairly well.  Always smoky, can be very smoky. Bits very scarce.

Early ones had a Kelvin gearbox but this one appears to have something different .

N

3 hours ago, BEngo said:

A CS 9-1  is I believe identical to an early JP1.  The early JP2's were I think known as CS 18-2.

No doubt Steamraiser or Martyn 1 will be along in due course to give chapter and verse.

N

One of the differences being that the CS has external push rods. I believe the JP1 is also known as a 9/1.