Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, john.k said:

.no thousand quid heads cast in mud hut using yak dung.

Oi, That's my secret ingredient. And I cast my BCN plates and things in my shed - not a mud hut. (Before anybody gets too excited I can't do cyl. heads or cast iron, theres a foundry in Bristol though who can though)

6 hours ago, john.k said:

Godiva are a manufacturer of fire pumps,sprinkler booster pumps,etc.......very costly gear with very fine clearances...............and for some reason they loved Coventry Engines,which no one else does...............Your motor has been salvaged from a fire fighting set,and the old SCG box added................how many orphans in one lot.?

I'm pretty sure this is a factory marine engine.

springy

OK,call it marine,...still an orphan,and no better than an anchor,unless you happen to have a shed full of spares............and the SCG is also an orphan........and probably the same issues with asbestos containing spares being dumped.........anything flexible from the last 100 years  will likely have asbestos in it........its that versatile............and also produces a very nice income for eggheads and tossers in spacesuits.

Copper sandwich gaskets with no asbestos in the filling can be made to order for fair prices.  Non asbestos gearbox and clutch linings are also readily available. 

Big bits like pistons and heads are more difficult I agree but usually last well or can be repaired with new valves and or seats or replacement rings for example.

The SCG box will probably have imperial bearings, but these can be bought, and the gears should last a long time if they have been kept lubricated.  At the worst gears can be made.

All this ignores economic sense of course but if it was not there would be no vintage engines, traction engines or heritage steam.

N

I had a perkins d152 in the first boat .

sounded like a tractor ran like a tractor, blew core plugs, blew the injection pump all in the first two years. Ended up with a vintage engine that did 12 years towing the butty on one set of injectors , and bi annual oil changes. My friend broke the gearbox but that was entirely his own fault..

OK,thats my point......if a bit breaks in a 3/152,you can buy another same day,instead of searching for six month.....and I dont see that a Coventry would be any different in the sound department.........all 4cyls sound like tractors........

• 1 month later...

Well the JP3M is a very sad looking thing and the asking price,without the gearbox, is easily double the market price for a complete dead engine. I'm busy breaking a JK4 at the moment that is in way better order than that and it didn't cost anything like as much. Best of luck at that price !

31 minutes ago, steamraiser2 said:

Well the JP3M is a very sad looking thing and the asking price,without the gearbox, is easily double the market price for a complete dead engine. I'm busy breaking a JK4 at the moment that is in way better order than that and it didn't cost anything like as much. Best of luck at that price !

AND the starter motor has been robbed from it!

How much is a new one of those?!

14 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Lister JP1? Really ?

Is that usually called something else like a CS or similar?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-Lister-generator-JP1/283243682180?hash=item41f2a39984:g:eYEAAOSwy7hb3uZ7

Looks like a Jp1, or 9/1. The CS has external push rods, I'm not sure what else is different. I rebuilt the top end of one for a friend and it was a nice little engine.

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, BWM said:

Looks like a Jp1, or 9/1. The CS has external push rods, I'm not sure what else is different. I rebuilt the top end of one for a friend and it was a nice little engine.

Just for reference, this is a Lister cs coupled to an engine air start compressor. (In the background)

IMG_0056.JPG

2 hours ago, steamraiser2 said:

We did a JP1 with a Velvet Drive gearbox in a mock up engine room for the shows a few years back. Sounded great for the first hour or two on tickover. After that it became the engine version of Chinese water torture. Plonk plonk plonk plonk plonk plonk plonk....,...?

I saw a beautifully presented JP1 (or yes more accurately a 9/1) in a NB about 50ft or so at Rickmansworth.  The owner reckoned it was desperately underpowered and seemed rather disappointed with it. 

My K1 is ok for power but hardly fast in a 68ft boat. 

Both sound fantastic however. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Add a bit.

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I saw a beautifully presented JP1 (or yes more accurately a 9/1) in a NB about 50ft or so at Rickmansworth.  The owner reckoned it was desperately underpowered and seemed rather disappointed with it. 

My K1 is ok for power but hardly fast in a 68ft boat. 

Both sound fantastic however. 

Was the boat a tug style called Turmoil? That's the one I sorted the engine on, it has been at Ricky the last couple of years. 

If so, the owner was experimenting with and without silencer to adjust the exhaust note. I suggested fitting a cherry bomb to refine it a little but don't know if he did.

8 hours ago, BWM said:

Was the boat a tug style called Turmoil? That's the one I sorted the engine on, it has been at Ricky the last couple of years. 

If so, the owner was experimenting with and without silencer to adjust the exhaust note. I suggested fitting a cherry bomb to refine it a little but don't know if he did.

I can't remember the boat name but that sounds vaguely familiar. The engine was in a quite spacious stern engine room where the back cabin ought to be. 

10 hours ago, BWM said:

"Turmoil" moored alongside our two boats at this yeas Rickmansworth festival.

It is loud!

It was used at one point to move three breasted boats around.  Not fast but it managed it.

P1010530.JPG