Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, martyn 1 said:

This is not an accurate statement. Its not as easy as it used to be but you still can. see my post on another thread here

If you read the various exemptions in the new RCD then there are a number of ways to get your old engine in a new boat. You just cant go to a boatbuilder and ask them to supply everything anymore (hull, engine, fitout)

It is a totally accurate statement, but I am pleased to hear that there are exceptions (I have read that if a newly-built boat is a "replica" of a historic craft for example, you can put a period-appropriate engine in it).

Each to their own but I am a little intrigued as to how " it is now illegal to install this engine in a newly built narrow boat" is a totally accurate statement, when the current RCD has exceptions in it to allow you to do just that legally albeit within certain constraints.

Which to me means the statement is not entire accurate as it implies that there are no possible way to fit that old engine into an new boat legally, which you can as long as you comply to the exceptions. A replica boat or for own use.

21 minutes ago, martyn 1 said:

Each to their own but I am a little intrigued as to how " it is now illegal to install this engine in a newly built narrow boat" is a totally accurate statement,

It isn't.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thats the 2L2 tony redshaw has had for sale for a couple of years or more. Very shiny. 

Yes, it does look superb, and if Redshaw's were involved (probably Paul rather than Tony, who I think has finally retired) then it should have been rebuilt to a high standard - though I'm not sure that the ghosts of Garner's workers past would appreciate the description "better than new".

I wonder why it hasn't sold?

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

I wonder why it hasn't sold?

Because anyone with £18k to spend on an engine is more likely to want a 2LW, would be my guess. Even so, £18k doesn’t seem unreasonable is it really is “better than new”.

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Because anyone with £18k to spend on an engine is more likely to want a 2LW, would be my guess. Even so, £18k doesn’t seem unreasonable is it really is “better than new”.

Redshaw's have never been known as a budget company as far as I'm aware!

Regarding 2L2 v. 2LW, I suppose there are pro's and con's. You do see 2L2s around in boats but far fewer than 2LWs, so there's rarity value. On the other hand, Gardner Parts no longer support the L2 range but do supply parts for LWs, so repairs and maintenance of the latter should be easier. (I realise they have some parts in common although I have no idea which ones).

If it really is the same engine that he has been trying to sell for 2 years then it must be over priced, if he wanted to sell soon then why not reduce the price or auction it.

Lovely looking engine and would look great in an exposed engine room.

Neil

1 minute ago, PeterG said:

That I believe is the second of two that they have rebuilt, the first was bought and sold as part of a boat that has not that long a go was sold by Tollhouse boat sales.

That makes sense, peter, as the advert does mention that it's one of a pair.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if everyone on here has noticed but the fraudsters are at it again on eBay, this time with a 3LW. This engine was advertised at the same time as the 2LW that has been on several times but amusingly the same engine is now listed with to different sellers one in Troon and the other in Manchester so only a small 200 plus mile apart. So either both, one or the other is a scam

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gardner-3LW-Diesel-Engine/263616652693?hash=item3d60c6e595:g:wOEAAOSwlYRa14Zk

And

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gardner-Diesel-Engine-3LW/323217746290?hash=item4b41476972:g:faYAAOSw0XFa2fo1

13 hours ago, martyn 1 said:

I don't know if everyone on here has noticed but the fraudsters are at it again on eBay, this time with a 3LW. This engine was advertised at the same time as the 2LW that has been on several times but amusingly the same engine is now listed with to different sellers one in Troon and the other in Manchester so only a small 200 plus mile apart. So either both, one or the other is a scam

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gardner-3LW-Diesel-Engine/263616652693?hash=item3d60c6e595:g:wOEAAOSwlYRa14Zk

And

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gardner-Diesel-Engine-3LW/323217746290?hash=item4b41476972:g:faYAAOSw0XFa2fo1

Not the same engine if you look properly, different oil filters, different nut that holds the copper pipe to the jabsco water pump to name a couple, probably more if I could print of and lay side by side but cant be asked.

Neil