Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

On 12/19/2017 at 08:36, Mike Adams said:

For any Ruston lovers there is a 4 cylinder 4YC on ebay, currently with 2 days to run and no bids in Reading. Reserve is £350. It says it was used only as a fire pump standby engine and appears to have an SAE1 flywheel housing. Looks in original condition. Search for Ruston 10GFR.

2 hours to go and no bids yet .https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332487351779?ul_noapp=true

3 minutes ago, Peter Reed said:

I PMed the seller for a bit more info. He says it's 60hp so must be a bit of a monster. 

@Mike Adams would suit White Heather very well though. More appropriate than that Japanese lump you have in there now!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

@Mike Adams would suit White Heather very well though. More appropriate than that Japanese lump you have in there now!

Japanese?

Perhaps I have the wrong end of the stick, but I thought it had a large Ford engine?

Pity it didn't sell. Would have made a nice engine for a full length Tug. White Heather has a 6 cylinder 4 litre toyota engine I put in some twenty years ago after it had done a couple of hundred thousand miles in a landcruiser and as a temporary measure to reduce the draught. I doubled the flywheel to make it run slower. Still in there going strong despite me having done nothing to it other than change the oil and filter and it doesn't leak any oil. I have enough problems to sort out with the 'Frodsham' and its 1935 Kelvin J2 engine!

The spec sheet for the ruston 4YC says 52hp at 1800 and 32hp at 1000 so depending on the tickover speed might not be to powerful - similar to a J3

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Japanese?

Perhaps I have the wrong end of the stick, but I thought it had a large Ford engine?

2 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

White Heather has a 6 cylinder 4 litre toyota engine I put in some twenty years ago after it had done a couple of hundred thousand miles in a landcruiser and as a temporary measure to reduce the draught. I doubled the flywheel to make it run slower.

I stand corrected!

12 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

Now relisted at £250 with some more pics. Someone must want it! Clearly a 4YC.

It could be you

MORE: I'm serious about that header tank. We are getting one sorted for a Lister HW, a new core is over twice the current listing

Edited by RLWP

Basic problem is a 4YC is a bit big for most narrowboats. We have a 3YDA which is closely related (albeit air cooled) to the YC series in our boat, and quite a low revving one, and you wouldn't really need one a third bigger! Just like Gardners, a 3LW is a better size for most boats than a 4LW.

Pity really, as it's a lovely engine for not much money.

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 09:32, RLWP said:

Sorry just picked up this thread, that is the diesel tank, you can see the fuel return from the filter housing, looks like its off a truck.

Neil

Whoops just seen the header tank in the other photos,

Edited by Neil Smith

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lister CE2 on ebay. Not sure if this has made an outing on here before or not. Gorgeous-sounding engines!

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352272932584?ul_noapp=true

On 05/02/2018 at 10:59, BWM said:

Does look tidy.

• 2 weeks later...

The JP3 might be a suitable replacement for the (apparently) continually troublesome engine in 'Emerald No.1'.

It is a pity but, as I understand it, it is now illegal to install this engine in a newly built narrowboat.

20 hours ago, RAP said:

The national engine looks like a D2, the industrial version of the one found in grand union boats. 

20 hours ago, RLWP said:

He's lost his needles:

s-l1600.jpg

Richard

? Lost needles... I don't like the look of the return pipe, not really the sign of a careful rebuild.

17 minutes ago, BWM said:

? Lost needles... I don't like the look of the return pipe, not really the sign of a careful rebuild.

I missed the twist!

Injectors like that with the pressed steel dome should have a needle thing in the top that contacts the end of the moving element. You can see the hole for it. You can feel the injector injecting if you open the teardrop flap on the cover and put your finger on the needle

Richard

• Happy 1

On 2/24/2018 at 07:44, Athy said:

It is a pity but, as I understand it, it is now illegal to install this engine in a newly built narrowboat.

This is not an accurate statement. Its not as easy as it used to be but you still can. see my post on another thread here

If you read the various exemptions in the new RCD then there are a number of ways to get your old engine in a new boat. You just cant go to a boatbuilder and ask them to supply everything anymore (hull, engine, fitout)