Tardebigge Locks

Bullfrog

Featured Posts

I'm planning the first leg of this summer's holidays, Cowroast Marina round the "Avon Ring" anti-clockwise to Diglis Basin.

CanalPlanAC says the last 2 days of this, from Tardebigge Tunnel to Diglis is:-

"15 miles, 7½ furlongs and 56 locks. (how many? !) There are at least 1 moveable bridge and 1 tunnel."

Can any-one please confirm that this is do-able in 2 days, or is it susceptible to water shortages, queuing, or any other sort of problems?

What are moorings like at end of first day around Astwood Top Lock

I want to be fairly precise 'cos I have to book train tickets home from Worcester etc.

Thanks

David

Edited by Bullfrog
  • Greenie 1

Assuming you are not single handed, it can easily been done in two 8 hr. days.Day 1:- Tardebigge top top lock to Stoke prior. Day 2:- Stoke prior to Diglis. If you have a good crew you should clear Tardebigge in 4 hours.

Three of us worked a boat down the flight in 3 hrs 20 mins, and yes we were playing nicely.

Ian ("The Cat Who...") and I worked his boat down Tardebigge in 4 hours. That did involve letting the boat motor out of the lock on its own, shutting the offside gate behind it and then stepping back on the stern as it went past, though :)

The paddle gear is quite heavy and there is one pound near the top that doesn't seem to hold its water very well. Other than that, it's great.

Edited by sociable_hermit

Yes agreed, 2 days is not too daunting. Nice pub at the bottom of Tardebigge and adequate places to stop. I'm moored at Diglis, if you need any further info.

Going up the flight is slower than descending; the locks empty faster than they fill. Two handed, we cleared the flight in 3h 10min, but all but two of the locks were set for us.

I have heard of descent times with a large crew in one hour or so. Some racers don't close bottom gates afterwards and this can hold up those following.

Stopping halfway is not recommended. The pounds are short and mooring opportunities limited.

It's all been said ref Tardebigge Locks but after the flight you have the Queens Head pub which is currently closed (well was a few weeks back) but may be open when you take your trip. Then at Stoke Prior by the Black Prince hire base the Navigation Inn has just re-opened after a refurb. Then just a bit further on is the Boat & Railway there are 48 hour visitor moorings here before and after the bridge there is also a waterpoint after the bridge opposite the pub. From there to the top of the Astwood flight you would be mooring on the towpath a bit rural.

Assuming you are not single handed, it can easily been done in two 8 hr. days.Day 1:- Tardebigge top top lock to Stoke prior. Day 2:- Stoke prior to Diglis. If you have a good crew you should clear Tardebigge in 4 hours.

I agree two days, although I've done Upton to Alvechurch in two, but the midpoint is wrong, get the next flight out of the way as well, because it is slower into Worcester

Oh, and don't attempt it on a Saturday when Black Prince let all their boats out, this isn't anti hire boats but above the bottom lock of a flight of 36 locks is not the most sensible place for a fleet, not if they then advise all their hirers doing the rings to go up the locks on the first afternoon. Some of them aren't up before dark...

Going up the flight is slower than descending; the locks empty faster than they fill. Two handed, we cleared the flight in 3h 10min, but all but two of the locks were set for us.

On Monday, we (that's two of us on Epiphany) entered Tardebigge Top Lock 58 at 12:57 and exited Lock 41 at 15:24, meeting no boats on the way. I make that 2 hours 27 minutes. Despite a boat having gone up earlier, there was hardly a lock that didn't need topping up in order to open the top gate, and many were empty.

On Tuesday we entered Lock 40 at 09:55, exited Tardebigge Bottom Lock at 11:47 (1 hour 52 mins) and Stoke Bottom Lock at 13:07 (1 hour 20 minutes).

I have heard of descent times with a large crew in one hour or so. Some racers don't close bottom gates afterwards and this can hold up those following.

You might have "heard of" but I bet you haven't "seen"! In any case, there's a view to be enjoyed, don't forget!

Stopping halfway is not recommended. The pounds are short and mooring opportunities limited.

We moored at Halfway House Bridge (between locks 41 & 40)- no problem, but there were few boats around.

What are moorings like at end of first day around Astwood Top Lock

There are good semi-rural moorings North of Bridge 41 at the top of the Astwood Flight. We moored there last night.

Or you could moor near the Stoke Sports Club (Stoke Works), South of Bridge 42, nearly opposite the Boat & Railway Pub.

Have a look at our blog for a few more details.

In august 2011 we set off down the Tardebigge flight, 3 1/2 hours not bad going for 29 locks, most of which we against us, because there was a boat a few locks in front, as we got nearer the bottom a few boats were coming up. Tardebigge has to be one of the prettiest flights, lovely views all around. We moored opposite the Queens and as we thoroughly deserved it, went in for lunch and a couple of pints. Then the madness set in, it was only lunchtime so lets do some more locks and go a bit further! We continued to Hanbury Wharf so undertook another 12 locks, a total of 41 for the day, beating out previous 35, again on Tardebigge, which three years ago we did twice in two weeks as we hired a boat from Stoke Wharf.( We started the day moored below the top lock for info.)

:cheers:

Edited by johnmck

Thanks for your input.

regards

David

Hi

we met at bulborne last year,i mentioned about another boat with the same name as yours.Tardebigge ,ive done it single handed,one lock after another,after another after another,after another..sort my life out by the end of it,your sleep well that night

In august 2011 we set off down the Tardebigge flight, 3 1/2 hours not bad going for 29 locks, most of which we against us, because there was a boat a few locks in front, as we got nearer the bottom a few boats were coming up. Tardebigge has to be one of the prettiest flights, lovely views all around. We moored opposite the Queens and as we thoroughly deserved it, went in for lunch and a couple of pints. Then the madness set in, it was only lunchtime so lets do some more locks and go a bit further! We continued to Hanbury Wharf so undertook another 12 locks, a total of 41 for the day, beating out previous 35, again on Tardebigge, which three years ago we did twice in two weeks as we hired a boat from Stoke Wharf.( We started the day moored below the top lock for info.)

:cheers:

It was my third hire boat holiday, september 1984 IIRC. A crew of four adults, though my daughter who would have only been 16 months old, so much of the time we were down to three. We had hired from Anglo Welsh at Gt Heywood and planned to do the Four Counties. However, the drought conditions that year had closed the T&M summit, so we sought an alternative and decided on the Stourport ring. Discussing our intentions with staff at the yard, they thought it was too far in a week and that we'd be late back. That was all the challenge we needed. :rolleyes:

By night three we were at Worcester, and tied up on the river, near the race course. Diglis Locks were manned by BW in those days and operated a timetable, so an 8.00 start was the best we could manage up the Worcester & Birmingham. Conscious of the need to get back on time we pressed on. By mid afternoon we were tackling Stoke and then Tardebigge, tying up for the night near Lower Bittel reservoir, continuing with stops at Curdworth, Fradley and back at Gt Heywood.

A more recent 1 week trip took us through Tardibigge (I have no record of how long the locks took us) with a similar crew (but my daughter by now in her late teens) saw us on a week out of Braunston. With stop overs at Birdingbury Wharf (Stockton Top), Wootton Warwen, Wyre Piddle, Tibberton, Gas Street Basin, Coventry Basin, and Braunston. 201 miles and 213 locks which Canal Planner suggests will take you 17 days.... B)

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Whilst on the subject of marathon journeys

Worcester, Lowesmoor basin to Cowley

Day one stop at Hopwood House Alvechurch

Day two stop at Two Boats Long Itchington

Day three at Boat Stoke Bruene

Day four Red Lion Marsworth

Day five our Mooring atHemel a short day as I needed to unload the boat

Day six High Line Cowley

Did I mention I was single handed?

everyone is in such a hurry!! used to take me 5 hours, but that was bowhauling the butty down :cheers: the boat & railway was always a pleasure to reach! :cheers: :cheers:

Four of us bow hauled a butty up, can't find out how long it took us now though. Will have to check my notes later (if at all I was able to find time to make some!) :)