Smart Gauge battery Monitor

Doorman

Featured Posts

In what way did they not work, and were they advertised as being able to work off the same supply as being measured? Also do you have any details for the ammeter that did work OK in the end?

A couple of people here including Julian/Loddon have the combo meter from elite.element and seems to work well, maybe Julian could comment.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

There doesn't seem to be a middle option between spending £10 on a cheap semi-working meter and £250 on a proper battery monitor with lots of features etc. If there is.....please let me know!

Try the Sterling power management panel.

http://www.sterling-power.com/products-pmp.htm

It does the V on 4 inputs.

The amps on 4 inputs.

Counts amph on one of the above inputs.

I have one & almost never look at it now as the novelty has worn off (plus I need some new shunts and the proper ones as very costly & cheap ones dont come in the right sizes).

The SG gets looked at multiple times per day.

In what way did they not work, and were they advertised as being able to work off the same supply as being measured? Also do you have any details for the ammeter that did work OK in the end?

A couple of people here including Julian/Loddon have the combo meter from elite.element and seems to work well, maybe Julian could comment.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Basically, the amps it reported were out by a factor of 3 or 4, didn't make sense. The 2nd one was completely dead. The third only reads one way.

Try the Sterling power management panel.

http://www.sterling-power.com/products-pmp.htm

It does the V on 4 inputs.

The amps on 4 inputs.

Counts amph on one of the above inputs.

I have one & almost never look at it now as the novelty has worn off (plus I need some new shunts and the proper ones as very costly & cheap ones dont come in the right sizes).

The SG gets looked at multiple times per day.

Price £260, looked at it before. Victron offers data interface and logging for the same price.

Basically, the amps it reported were out by a factor of 3 or 4, didn't make sense. The 2nd one was completely dead. The third only reads one way.

Price £260, looked at it before. Victron offers data interface and logging for the same price.

With the first and third one, it sounds like they may not have been designed to work off the same supply as being measured. Sometimes wiring the meter to a separate battery makes it work OK.

If they are indeed kaput a reputable seller should be willing to refund or replace.

Would be good to hear some recommendations from people who have got ammeters that turned out to be decent. Maybe I should look into buying two or three promising ones from Asia to check out they work OK and sell on here (for a little profit. smile.png)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

I know its not for everyone, but for the many battery savvy folk on this forum, a voltmeter across each battery bank and a shunt based ammeter on service bank should (if you know what to expect) give you all the information you need. Embellishments could be extra shunts at various critical points in your DC system, such as specifically measuring alternator outputs. Familiarity with readings against charge times will give an indication when batteries are on the way out or at least when capacity is reduced. Physical checks (SG) on electrolyte of open cell batteries will help as well of course.

I always temper amp hour count and SOC readouts with above.

A lot of people seem to spend a lot of time checking how accurate their Smartguage is, which sort of begs the question why they should have one anyway. For others it seems an excellent solution though.

Agreed Richard

I purchased the Elite element combo meter around 10 months ago

The instructions were incomprehensible so i obtained a de-crypted version from Loddon of this forum

The amps reading never came to rest and i could see no use in keeping it ,so it went in the bin!

the monitoring is now carried out with two 5 digit panel mounted voltmeters and a 200 amp meter with shunt.

Total cost @ 30 pounds

Do you know how much return postage to China is?

They weren't wired from the same supply as they were measuring - there are separate power supply connections as well as the connections either side of the shunt.

If you were to buy a bunch of ammeters from China, test them and only sell the ones that worked (and offer return/refund/replace if it didn't) then I'd happily buy one from you, at a marked up price from the direct China price!

I use a NASA BM2 which gives volts on 2 banks, (leisure and starter), and AMps and Ah on one bank, (leisure). It also makes a stab at percentage SOC on the leisure bank, but it's only a stab which I take with a pinch of salt.

I think they are about £130 or so for the BM2. A bit less for the BM1. BM2 can cope with 200A, BM1 with 100A. I understand that behind the scenes, it counts higher then these amounts, but doesn't display them - I can't be definitive on this :)

Does what I want. I guess I could add a Smartguage and get a pretty good estimate of SOC in %age terms aswell.

The amps reading never came to rest and i could seeuse in keeping it ,so it went in the bin

Mine does the same when on a mains charger I suspect its interferance from the charger, its ok on alternator which is when I need it, when on landline I don't look at it as the batteries are on float 24/7

Agreed Richard

I purchased the Elite element combo meter around 10 months ago

The instructions were incomprehensible so i obtained a de-crypted version from Loddon of this forum

The amps reading never came to rest and i could see no use in keeping it ,so it went in the bin!

the monitoring is now carried out with two 5 digit panel mounted voltmeters and a 200 amp meter with shunt.

Total cost @ 30 pounds

If it's a steady offset the combo meters can usually be recalibrated, there's a manual that explains how on the first link here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=VAM+User+Manual

The plain ammeters sometimes have a preset on the back that allows them to be calibrated.

Do you know how much return postage to China is?

They weren't wired from the same supply as they were measuring - there are separate power supply connections as well as the connections either side of the shunt.

If you were to buy a bunch of ammeters from China, test them and only sell the ones that worked (and offer return/refund/replace if it didn't) then I'd happily buy one from you, at a marked up price from the direct China price!

I'd just charge for the meter plus time and hassle in sending it on, and probably put a better means of connection on it too.

Not really interested in doing more than a couple it'd just be to find out what designs work well enough, then others can buy direct if they want. I'd guarantee against DOA, they usually work or they don't, if that's not good enough then best get something retail from a UK Ebay seller or a NASA or Blue Seas meter.

The five digit voltmeters I've mentioned before seem to be working OK for people, was a bit skeptical myself before buying but they're surprisingly accurate and good quality smile.png

http://www.buyincoins.com/item/26013.html

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

ETA: What ammeter did you go for in the end cereal tiller?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Hi Pete

I chose one from e bay

As it was nearly a year ago i cant remember the supplier

It's description was something like:

200 amp digital ammeter with shunt

bright LCD which DIMS in reduced light conditions

It has behaved faultlessly

The meter required a separate power supply so i powered it from a 1.2 AH 12 volt sealed ni-cad which keeps it isolated

A double pole double throw toggle switch selects either Meter on or wee battery being charged from main bank via diode to reduce voltage

The meter and battery have their own fuses

Peter,i expect you will find it in 5 minutes flat,if you put a piccie up i could confirm it

Those 5 digit volt meters you discovered (6 of them!) are all working well,one of them reads point 005 less than the others.

Street price is nearer £220 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sterling-Powers-Power-Management-Panel-Meter-PMP1-/180684840649?_trksid=p2054897.l4275 & I am sure I paid quite a bit less than that for mine.

Dont think the Victron was an option when I installed my setup.

Edited by Justme

• 2 years later...

Hoping so. Discussion of these meters is why I joined the forum. Haven't found a private message button yet, assuming that's due to my being a new member with low post count.

Did you notice that the posts you referred to were from 2013? Posts up to and including no63, 6 posts ago.

Yes I did. Also saw both members are still fairly active on the forum and didn't want to start a new thread to discuss an old topic so hoped they'd stop by. So far I've been right.

Just checking. Glad you got a result!