Sabb 2G Fuel Lift Pump

Peter-Bullfinch

Featured Posts

I have a 1977 Sabb 2G engine fitted in a 57 foot narrowboat. The lift pump is an AC. The mechanical pump arm lever is fairly erratic in operation and I'd like to find a new unit. Sleeman and Hawkins are asking an incredible £250. I would like to identify the type I have to search for a cheaper one. Mine has 5 screws holding the body. It is the gasket version rather than the rubber ring sealing type. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Many thanks.

IMAG0418.jpg

Edited by Peter Corbett

I have a 1977 Sabb 2G engine fitted in a 57 foot narrowboat. The lift pump is an AC. The mechanical pump arm lever is fairly erratic in operation and I'd like to find a new unit. Sleeman and Hawkins are asking an incredible £250. I would like to identify the type I have to search for a cheaper one. Mine has 5 screws holding the body. It is the gasket version rather than the rubber ring sealing type. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

I have a picture of it on my computer but I don't seem to be able to post it easily here!

Many thanks.

Convert it to a 12v electric and blank off the pump plate..

I tried to source one of these a while back and gave up..

Chris B

Convert it to a 12v electric and blank off the pump plate..

I tried to source one of these a while back and gave up..

Chris B

seconded, or fit a header tank?. I couldn't even find a service kit for one of these pumps

Is there no number on the pump housing?

A 1977 Sabb ............ more than likely the same lift pump that was fitted to BMC cars/vans of similar vintage ...... and Lister engines of similar vintage?

If so maybe available in scrap/breakers yards?

Good luck

There are no numbers on the body of the pump and Sleeman and Hawkins (Sabb parts suppliers) over the phone seemed reluctnat to tell me the model number either despite them having one in stock.

Talk to Johnathon Hewitt (Johno) at UCC in Braunston. He is something of a Sabb guru.

N

Sabb 2G Series

Fuel Lift Pump AC-795067

Lift Pump Maintance Kit AC-7950298

Lift Pump repair Kit AC-7950293

Hope the numbers help Peter.

PhilR is correct.

Why do we need to be signed in to view the engine forums?

The other JohnO.

I visited two huge diesel engine factors in Preston and they both said they might well have the lift pump in stock but they needed another digit in the part number to be sure. We tried the obvious of adding nought to nine at the end with no success.

Johno...could you please check the part number again for me...or..is there an equivalent part number for another manufacturer. Many thanks in advance!

Peter, I quoted from the Sabb G instruction and parts manual, I do not have my manuals or engines at hand but i think various Sabb share the same pump, sure it's the same on my 2HG. The pump I am running has shown the same erratic behaviour you mention for a long time but will still manually lift. I have acquired 3 more identical pumps but i have had no time to check them out.

Sabb have manuals online, below is a link for a 9.5Mb pdf p46

Sabb G instruction and parts link

Sabb Manuals link

Edited by JohnO

Thanks again! Maybe the erratic behaviour is because of the position of the arm in relation to the top of the cam of the lift pump. On mine if the engine is turned by hand half a turn, this seems to move the camshaft and drops the operating arm, thus enabling some manual pumping.

Johno, would you consider selling me one of your pumps?

Sorry Peter I posted the wrong link

Sabb 2G_2J Spare parts catalogue

Sabb 2G_2J User instructions

First lets try Sleeman and Hawkins

944.005 Lift Pump Maintance Kit AC-7950298. old ref. (994ka)

944.042 Lift Pump repair Kit AC-7950293. old ref (994kb)

944.008 Diaphragm. Lift Pump

944.004 ?

Could be worth checking the spring is sitting correctly under the diaphragm.

I'm wondering if the lift pump you want is for sale as part of THIS

a 2HG with "tachometer"

Peter, spoke to S&H, for the 5 screw Lift pump the only item they can find today is

994.004 Lift Pump repair Kit 662/10520 £26.89

662-10520 I notice is a 8 figure number this may help identify the AC Lift Pump.

624-50000 my guess, is the Lift Pump

looks like they were fitted to Lister-Petters/Massey Tractors also

Peter of the 4 pumps, 2 engines and a spare will leave one pump but will be surprised if it does not suffer the same problem as yours

John...thanks..I can see your need!.....I will just keep on having to try and track down the equivalent pump maybe as a remanufacture. The big Preston dealer suggested I removed the pump and left it with them for a while to try and see if any of theirs might be the same....am a little loathe to remove the only one I have though and leave it in case it goes missing! Thanks again for your help.

Peter quote 624-50000 to your dealer, from now knowing the repair kit number, my guess from a quick search is that 624-50000 is the number for the AC Lift Pump you are looking for. Unfortunately i have no time at the moment to investigate the pumps and their working but see no reason why i can not make 4 fully functioning pumps so don't spend any money yet.

• 1 month later...

I have searched widely locally, using all the numbers you have provided, and the good folk at Merlin Diesels at Walton Summit in Preston have made strenous efforts to track down the lift pump. They wonder if it was actually a special made just for SABB using stock parts from the AC range. I did see a lift pump in the Merlin stores with a very diff body (not an AC type) for a BMC engine with a similar arm (55mm long protruding) but the arm and holes seemed about 10mm higher over the whole length than the AC one so was reluctant to attempt to fit it for fear of damgage to my engine.

I would be extremely grateful if you would consider selling me one of your old ones and I am sure I could get the usual new maintenance kit to refurbish it if needed. I would of course be happy to drive down to see you if you could possibly help me.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Is there no number on the pump housing?

A 1977 Sabb ............ more than likely the same lift pump that was fitted to BMC cars/vans of similar vintage ...... and Lister engines of similar vintage?

If so maybe available in scrap/breakers yards?

Good luck

do you do tricks for the king

lol

• 2 years later...

I have searched widely locally, using all the numbers you have provided, and the good folk at Merlin Diesels at Walton Summit in Preston have made strenous efforts to track down the lift pump. They wonder if it was actually a special made just for SABB using stock parts from the AC range. I did see a lift pump in the Merlin stores with a very diff body (not an AC type) for a BMC engine with a similar arm (55mm long protruding) but the arm and holes seemed about 10mm higher over the whole length than the AC one so was reluctant to attempt to fit it for fear of damgage to my engine.

I would be extremely grateful if you would consider selling me one of your old ones and I am sure I could get the usual new maintenance kit to refurbish it if needed. I would of course be happy to drive down to see you if you could possibly help me.

Peter

Hi Peter , Did you ever resolve this problem with the lift pump

Peter

• 4 years later...