What cable and connectors for charger?

DCH

Featured Posts

Hi.

Have emailed Sterling electronics with this query but not received an answer after 1 week.

My problem(s) is how to safely connect my Sterling Pro-amp charger to my batteries.

Sterling manual recommends 6mm sq cable if the run from charger to batteries is under 1.5M and with a 50 amp fuse in the cable.

But my understanding is that 6mm sq cable is only suitable up to a 42 amp loading - so the 50 amp fuse would not protect the cable.

Am I right?

Anyway, my cable runs are just over 1.5M so Sterling recommend 10mm sq cable for this length.

Now my problem is what size terminals do I use to fit the cable to the charger's terminal blocks. The terminal blocks are only 9mm wide between the plastic isolators!

I cannot find any terminal connectors that will take 10mm sq cable and have rings as small as 9mm to fit the charger's terminal blocks.

So, how to I safely connect 10mm sq cable to terminal blocks that only have a width of 9mm? Or is there another solution?

Any help appreciated.

Link to charger manual: http://www.sterling-power.com/images/downloads/Pro%20charge%20C%20instructions.pdf

Cheers.

DCH

R6.gif

Terminals such as above from Vehicle Wiring Products should work fine either crimped or soldered, although I would recommend the latter.

I would use 10mm² cable from your 20 amp charger, although a short length of 6mm² would not be a problem with the 50 amp fuse.

Edited by richardhula

We can make up cables to the length required with whatever size terminals are needed - we stock 6mm, 8mm and 10mm as shown in last post.

Our 6mm cable is rated at 50 amps, but I would probably suggest 10mm to give added safety margin and minimise voltage drop.

in terms of 6mm cables / 50amp fuses, i think your confusing the usual current carrying rating of 6mm cable, (which is usually accpeted as 50A or even 55A not 42) with the protection offered by a 50A fuse.

SO a 50A fuse is designed to blow under fault conditions when the current exceeds 50A (I think i'm right in saying most fuses need 2 x rating to 'blow' ) whereas the 42/50/55A rating for the 6mm cable is an acceptable current that will not cause the cable to overheat/drop too much voltage (there may be conditions such as 'in free space' or not in a bundle etc) but you get the idea.

therefore there is no problem with sterling suggesting 6mm cable and a 50A fuse.

if your runs are just over 1.5M I'm not sure I'd be too bothered about changing to 10MM, as it would roughly reduce your volt drop by 0.05v (or 50 millivolts) over say 2Metres so at 20A - not really a lot to be gained imho.

jon

ETA - I've got a sterling pro charge 20Amp unit and used 6mm cable, but i can't remember what connectors I used, I recall there was a 'strap' included to link the unused output terminal and that had ring connectors on, also that space was a bit tight. i'll have a look when I'm on board next weekend and let you know.

Edited by jonathanA

Hi.

Have emailed Sterling electronics with this query but not received an answer after 1 week.

My problem(s) is how to safely connect my Sterling Pro-amp charger to my batteries.

Sterling manual recommends 6mm sq cable if the run from charger to batteries is under 1.5M and with a 50 amp fuse in the cable.

But my understanding is that 6mm sq cable is only suitable up to a 42 amp loading - so the 50 amp fuse would not protect the cable.

Am I right?

Anyway, my cable runs are just over 1.5M so Sterling recommend 10mm sq cable for this length.

Now my problem is what size terminals do I use to fit the cable to the charger's terminal blocks. The terminal blocks are only 9mm wide between the plastic isolators!

I cannot find any terminal connectors that will take 10mm sq cable and have rings as small as 9mm to fit the charger's terminal blocks.

So, how to I safely connect 10mm sq cable to terminal blocks that only have a width of 9mm? Or is there another solution?

Any help appreciated.

Link to charger manual: http://www.sterling-power.com/images/downloads/Pro%20charge%20C%20instructions.pdf

Cheers.

DCH

If in doubt why not phone them and ask. 01905 771771. Have had to do it in the past and have found them very helpful. Make sure that you have all the details on the Sterling product, wiring layout, battery bank size etc as that will help them answer your query.

Edited by J R