Red Diesel and Europe

The Pipe

Featured Posts

Even without that logic (which seems to me to be pushing things too far), with the current setup you can declare your propulsion split on the basis that electricicty and hot water produced by your propulsion engine are duty free, as is heat from a diesel-fired heater. But with two tanks you will only be able to use red/yellow for your diesel heater. The electricity and hot water from your engine will come from the full-duty fuel. So a higher proportion of your fuel will be at the full duty rate.

David

Apologies for being pedantic but domestic use is NOT duty free - Red diesel and domestic heating oil has a duty element of around 11p. Tcehnically it's known as a rebated oil. Most of the objectors on these fora and others are probably not aware of this point. To people not aware of the issue think that boaters are getting away with cheaper fuel rather than using the Directive literally - which is what HMRC did in the first place. It takes 4 -5 hours daily to charge my batteries and I don't see why I should pay extra duty to do that.

• Greenie 1

And the douane take a very active interest in what's in your tanks

I can't help but thing this is restrictive trade practice and against the EU free trade constitution.

What's the difference between moving as many duty paid fags or booze bottles around member states. Our diesel is duty paid in a member state and as such should be treated like any other duty paid product when moving between member states.

Sooner we are out of the EU the better IMO.

I can't help but thing this is restrictive trade practice and against the EU free trade constitution.

What's the difference between moving as many duty paid fags or booze bottles around member states. Our diesel is duty paid in a member state and as such should be treated like any other duty paid product when moving between member states.

Sooner we are out of the EU the better IMO.

Leaving the EU would make no difference to this situation, because it would still be illegal to enter a member state with red diesel in your tank which is intended for propulsion.

Keith

Leaving the EU would make no difference to this situation, because it would still be illegal to enter a member state with red diesel in your tank which is intended for propulsion.

Keith

I may have misunderstood, but if I remember right Biggles wanted to take his boat to France to cruise on the continent where the waterways are more adapted to wide-beam craft.

As long as the U.K. is a member of the EU that is no problem, however if they are not (anymore) he can only leave his boat a total of 6 months there, after which he will have to pay the V.A.T. on his boat.

Peter.

Keith

I'm not so sure that's the case. The actions taken by the Belgian authorities involve the fact that the vessels have come from another EU member state. Had they come from the Channel Islands, which are not a part of the EU, I doubt they would have acted, provided they could show that they bought the fuel there.

I think the Belgian contention is that the UK is flouting EU regulations.

Edited by Dominic M

will include full Duty and VAT - no more "declarations".

The Shylocks (or something like that!) want not only their pound of flesh, but our lifeblood too.

Vat levied upon fuel duty. A tax upon a tax. Only the British would allow such a farce to go unchallenged! :wacko: :wacko:

Just in from the British Marine Federation (extracts from full article):

"The meeting this morning was positive and the RYA and BMF can now report that HMRC has confirmed that the Government has no intention to make it unlawful for red diesel bought in the UK to be used outside UK territorial waters.

HMRC has also confirmed that the wording of the legislation and the declaration that boat users will make at the time of purchase will be amended to reflect this. The RYA and BMF are confident that their concerns over the proposed declaration will be addressed when the consultation has closed."

I really do think that those who predict that red will be outlawed are simply scaremongering (with no wish to cause offence - but it is a British trait to assume the worst!)

HMRC are however advising those who enter other territorial waters that they cannot control their tax policy (e.g. Belgium)

I'm not so sure that's the case. The actions taken by the Belgian authorities involve the fact that the vessels have come from another EU member state. Had they come from the Channel Islands, which are not a part of the EU, I doubt they would have acted, provided they could show that they bought the fuel there.

I think the Belgian contention is that the UK is flouting EU regulations.

No, they take the stance that it is illegal to use red diesel in your vessel in their country for propulsion, it doesn't matter where you come from or where you bought it.

Keith

Well, Mike, whilst here you must drive on the left, such behaviour would probably earn a driving ban in the rest of the EU. :)

In all but Athens. I don't think it matters which side you drive whilst passing through this manic city! :wacko: