SAGA Boat Insurance

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

I am regularly plagued by SAGA to get a Boat Insurance quote from them, but up until now have not bothered. However, within the letter they are now quoting "Once you have taken out Saga Boat Insurance, your vessel won't require a survey as long as you continue to renew with us." and I was wondering how true this really is.

Has anyone else used them for their boat insurance, and have SAGA required a survey? My present Insurers reguire a full hull survey every seven years, and I rather resent paying nearly £600, including Dock Hire, for someone to write a fancy report full of disclaimers telling me what I already know about my boat, so I wondered whether SAGA insurance would be a long term cost saver.

"Chalice" has always been insured with Saga under our ownership, but until you posted it here, I was unaware they make the statement of never needing a survey.

I'm not sure when most insurers kick in with this, but "Chalice" will be 17 this year, (that rather staggers me, as she was only 10 on acquisition!).

Some have expressed concerns about Saga's wordings of what is, and is not covered. So it's worth scanning back through old posts to see what the concerns were - I think Allan Jones, possibly ?

I can't see anything in their wording that looks any more like a wriggle out clause than most insurances, and I like the fact that they don't place any restrictions on towing, or on interconnecting tidal waterways, so we don't have to be thinking about needing to seek special permissions. IIRC, the exclusions I have are things like not using it to tow water skiers!

:tongue_in_cheek: I wonder if the reason they don't insist on surveys is that, (given their marketplace), generally the owner expires before the boat does!

I did indeed have problems with some of their get-out clauses. I particularly disliked their statement that they did not cover damage to anything that was breakable; their cost was certainly far from competitive, if a measure of contents cover was included.

I've been with Saga for 4 years. No survey has ever been mentioned, although I did get a hull survey done for myself in 2010. The reason I switched to Saga was that they offered exactly the same policy as my previous insurers (Nautical Insurance Co), with the same underwriters, but without the £20 'administration fee'. I've read the policy, and am quite satisfied with the conditions.

Edited to say that Cygnet is 27 years old.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

I did indeed have problems with some of their get-out clauses. I particularly disliked their statement that they did not cover damage to anything that was breakable; their cost was certainly far from competitive, if a measure of contents cover was included.

When you say there were statements that you disliked, does that mean they refused to pay out on a claim, or their excemptions did not meet your requirements. I would be particularly interested as the only claim which we have ever made was for a window broken when the boat was burgled, and the only damage was the (breakable) glass window pane.

I once had our house insured with Saga. As usual, everything was fine until we made a claim. They then became slow, unreasonable, bureaucratic and a pain in the bum. I will never insure with them again.

Because I am insured with GJW and they require a survey at 20 years age (the boat) I was told about SAGA and they require a survey at 30 years age unless it is a Springer which it is earlier. But they did not mention when the next survey would be needed. I have tried to get a SAGA quote but it is very hard.

When you say there were statements that you disliked, does that mean they refused to pay out on a claim, or their excemptions did not meet your requirements. I would be particularly interested as the only claim which we have ever made was for a window broken when the boat was burgled, and the only damage was the (breakable) glass window pane.

It was purely theoretical; I have never insured with them or made a claim. I simply asked them for a quote, and then called them back to discuss the small print in the sample policy that they sent me.

Of course, that wasn't all they sent me. A year's worth of junk mail of all sorts followed it.

I have tried to get a SAGA quote but it is very hard.

Might be a blessing! - Once Saga have quoted you for any insurance, it becomes progressively harder to stop them quoting for every insurance.

(Not that I suspect they differ widely from anybody else in this - one of the hazards of using the likes of Confused.com, is that on each anniversary after you have, a host of companies might contact you trying to sell you a deal, even though you have never once insured with them. :banghead:)

Might be a blessing! - Once Saga have quoted you for any insurance, it becomes progressively harder to stop them quoting for every insurance.

(Not that I suspect they differ widely from anybody else in this - one of the hazards of using the likes of Confused.com, is that on each anniversary after you have, a host of companies might contact you trying to sell you a deal, even though you have never once insured with them. :banghead:)

Hmm - Saga is owned by Acromas Holdings, and Saga's sister companies are BSM, The AA and Drakefield Insurance - so there's an immediate sharing of your personal data !

Because I am insured with GJW and they require a survey at 20 years age (the boat) I was told about SAGA and they require a survey at 30 years age unless it is a Springer which it is earlier. But they did not mention when the next survey would be needed. I have tried to get a SAGA quote but it is very hard.

So why have they sent me a letter including the statement "Once you have taken out Saga Boat Insurance, your vessel won't require a survey as long as you continue to renew with us." and also included it on their website, if it is not true?

Perhaps I need to phone them to clarify.

Slightly :smiley_offtopic:

My car is insured by SAGA (Acromas) through the AA. Had a small accident 18 months ago. It was a bit messy because the other party denied any liability whatsover and even disputed the location of the accident. Eventually all was settled on a 50-50 basis. Had a letter just about a month ago from Saga, explaining that the other party had not paid out, and they were unable to close the case. (This caused some anexiety). However, this morning a letter arrives, Other party has settled. File closed and, because the settlement was 50-50 there was a £100 cheque enclosed, for half of the excess I had paid.!

(Been to the bank and cashed it in case they change their minds!!!!)

Please find below the email that states SAGA needed a survey at 30 Years dated 24 Oct 2011

"Dear Mr ?????????????

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that we require a survey on a narrowboat if it is aged 30years or more.

The only exception to this is a make of narrowboats called Springer, regardless of the age our underwriters would require a full out of water survey.

If you have any further queries regarding this matter please contact either via email or on 0845 302 0210.

Kind Regards

Amanda Ogles

Please consider the environment before printing this email

The opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not necessarily the company. This e-mail and attachment are confidential to the sender and are solely for use by the intended recipient.

Saga Services Limited: Company Registration No. 732602

Saga Publishing Limited: Company Registration No. 2152564

The above companies are wholly owned subsidiaries of Saga Group Limited.

Saga Holidays is a registered trading name of Acromas Holidays Limited: Company Registration No. 2174052

Saga Shipping is a registered trading name of Acromas Shipping Limited: Company Registration No. 3267858

Saga Personal Finance is a registered trading name of Acromas Financial Services Limited: Company Registration No. 3023493

Saga Group Limited: Company Registration No. 638891

All companies registered at: Enbrook Park, Sandgate, Folkestone, Kent CT20 3SE

Saga Charitable Trust is a UK registered charity No. 291991

Saga Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

Acromas Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

Acromas Holidays Limited is an appointed representative of Automobile Association Insurance Services Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

Acromas Insurance Company Limited is authorised by the Financial Services Commission, Gibraltar.

This e-mail and attachment has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses. Saga accept no responsibility for computer viruses once this e-mail has been transmitted."

David,

I can find no reference to the need for, (or lack of need for) a survey in their Saga Inland Plan Policy Wording

As you are probably aware, the bit you have quoted from their letter also apperas on their website page having the vessel surveyed

How often do you need a survey?

While it is wise to have any ‘older’ vessel checked over regularly, it is up to the owner as to how often a survey should be arranged. Although owners often feel they ‘know’ their own boat, it is essential that an independent, qualified and insured surveyor is called in when necessary.

Some insurers ask for surveys on a regular basis – perhaps every three or five years. If an insurer requests a survey, it is a good idea to ask how often they will require a new one.

With Saga Boat Insurance, you do not need another survey for the insured vessel as long as you continue to renew the policy.

Surely if they have said it to you in writing, and made it a stated feature of the policy, they are obliged to stick to it ?

I wonder if there might be some significance in Saga saying they require a survey if a boat is over 30 yrs old, except Springers for which they do require a full out of water survey. Could it be that their non-Springer survey is at a much lower level and may not be an "out of water" one?

Alternatively, it may be that if you start a NEW policy with them they will need a survey if the boat is over 30 yrs old, but if you have insured it with them previously, this will not be needed.

Recently obtained a quote from Saga.

Did not ask for a survey report... (boat 13yrs). But, did ask for a professionally written valuation of the boat.

Of all the quotes I have obtained I have never been asked this requirement..

I am staying with my current insurer who quoted me well under the Saga quote without any specific requirements apart from a hull survey when the boat reaches 20yrs.

Still have 7 to go :lol:

Not Saga or even, directly, boat insurance, but...

My 'business' insurance has been through the same company all the time I've been self-employed, which must be well over 30 years by now.

The same company is also well known in the inland waterway boat insurance market.

I had a speculative call this morning from a company wanting to become my business insurer, and when was my renewal date so that they could quote for me at that time?

No prizes for guessing which company, & it wasn't Saga.

Tim

Not Saga or even, directly, boat insurance, but...

My 'business' insurance has been through the same company all the time I've been self-employed, which must be well over 30 years by now.

The same company is also well known in the inland waterway boat insurance market.

I had a speculative call this morning from a company wanting to become my business insurer, and when was my renewal date so that they could quote for me at that time?

No prizes for guessing which company, & it wasn't Saga.

Tim

Wellll - - with your surname of Leech - - - -- was it PetPlan Insurance?

• 7 months later...

Our boat Insurance is due soon, so I thought I would check with SAGA as to whether their specific requirements the requirement for a survy. I was told that for a Narrowboat they do not require a survey until it is forty years old, unless it is a Springer in which case it is thirty years, all other boats on inland waterways the requirement is 25 yeras old.

Having secured that information I asked for quote, comparable with my existing comprehensive policy. It turned out to be about five pounds cheaper, the only differnce being that the excess wouild be fifty pounds more. I have asked for written confimation to check out any small print, but I think I may be about to save myself more than £600 surveyors fees next year.

Of course The proof of any insuerance policy is when, and if, you have to make a claim, but as I have never made a clainm from my existing insurers, I have no way of judging which one is the best in that respect.

Edited by David Schweizer

I have had Saga for the 7 years I have owned my Springer, and I am OK with them. The boat was surveyed before I bought it, and no mention of a survey has been made since then.

I have made 2 claims - firstly for ice damage when out of water on G&S canal when the temp reached -16. The boat yard told me of many boats experiencing damage as they'd never know it so cold there. Saga moaned, paid out, but said they'd not cover frost damage again???

Recently I had a hit and float on the T&M. Again, they moaned, accepted my arguments and paid.

So all in all, OK so far.