anyone moored at Billing ?

bodger

Featured Posts

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to add our comments to this topic. Me and the other half have just returned from NZ after working there over the UK winter period for the last few years (6 months here and then away to follow the sun - very exciting but don't let me get side tracked!) we finally built up enough £ and have decided to fulfill our dream to buy a boat. We live in a small campervan when in UK and have often visited Billing for a few days break here and there over the summer and found it to be ideal with great facilities. As the other half is from this area and his kids are local it has seemed the right idea to get a mooring here for our new home. We popped in the other day (were both very jet lagged and tired still!) to see Col and talk boats etc and got a chance to pick our mooring and meet a few peeps too (hi Sue!)

Billing Marina is a lovely place and first impressions of our neighbours to be were great, security is fab (which doesn't indicate a crap area, it's nice to feel safe and secure) facilities are exactly what we need and the price we pay for all of that is right for us. I know when we get the boat we'll be happy to move in around sept. Both of us are really excited that it's finally happening and have often sat in the carpark overlooking the boats planning! I lived many years in the Southampton area and so moving up here was all new to me but from what I can see there are good and bad points everywhere you go but it's how you deal with them that matters! We've always been ready to take risks and give any challenge a go and we're sure that this is another new and exciting adventure - can't wait, I feel like i'm going to burst!

Bye all M&P

Yes there are some lovely caravans out there and people.

I wonder how you would speak now if you had to serve eviction notices rather than pull posh folks in flashy cars :cheers:

Im a bit slow I have just read this one Kirra. I dont know what you are trying to prove. All I was saying is there is good and bad everywhere. Pleae dont think I have mainly met " Posh " ? people, I can assure you that all Police meet people over the years from absolutely every walk of life in such a variety of situations that you would find hard to comprehend. :cheers:

Having read this complete thread i am annoyed at that oh so typical labelling of people namely gypsies or pykies , i wonder how many actually know the difference , true gypsies veiw the word pykey as an insult. Anyway personally i refer to either group as travellers, just as i see myself as a traveller when out on my boat.

Yes i will concur there are some bad ones, but there are also a lot of good ones, to draw another parralel with the boating community of "travellers" in recent years the reports of boating equipment stolen by other boaters has increased significantly ... just take a look through the posts on this forum....

My boat is moored in a very secure marina with both card barriers along with gated locked pontoons but even so there have been several thefts, the perputrators actually using boats to effect those thefts and the targets generally being equipment only of use to other boaters, so before tarring a whole community of travellers in caravans for the sake of a few bad ones, take into account there are also a few bad ones in every community static or not, including this wonderful community of travellers in boats.

The only actual experience of predjudice i have personally suffered was when i owned one of the large ex gypsy caravans or trailers as they know them, it was absolutely immaculate as they cover all the cushions with plastic from new, anyway i digress, i took it to cornwall for a holiday, firstly i stopped at an asda store on the way down and was immediately challenged as they thought i was going to take residence on the carpark, then on arriving in cornwall , although i told them the size of the caravan and booked and paid for a double pitch, i was told they didnt like that style of caravan on their site, which was incredulous as it drew admiring glances from everyone who walked past and more so those that looked inside as it had a queen size bed in an end bedroom. Alas because of the cr@p surrounding travellers that we were subjected to for our choice of caravan, my ex wife decided we should sell it after that holiday, yet amongst our group of travellers irrespective of the boat we are travelling on everyone along the towpath give us a welcoming wave and we are encouraged to moor as we are seen as bringing ambience to an area along with trade, very much double standards i think.

Rick

• Greenie 1

Having read this complete thread i am annoyed at that oh so typical labelling of people namely gypsies or pykies , i wonder how many actually know the difference , true gypsies veiw the word pykey as an insult. Anyway personally i refer to either group as travellers, just as i see myself as a traveller when out on my boat.

Yes i will concur there are some bad ones, but there are also a lot of good ones, to draw another parralel with the boating community of "travellers" in recent years the reports of boating equipment stolen by other boaters has increased significantly ... just take a look through the posts on this forum....

My boat is moored in a very secure marina with both card barriers along with gated locked pontoons but even so there have been several thefts, the perputrators actually using boats to effect those thefts and the targets generally being equipment only of use to other boaters, so before tarring a whole community of travellers in caravans for the sake of a few bad ones, take into account there are also a few bad ones in every community static or not, including this wonderful community of travellers in boats.

The only actual experience of predjudice i have personally suffered was when i owned one of the large ex gypsy caravans or trailers as they know them, it was absolutely immaculate as they cover all the cushions with plastic from new, anyway i digress, i took it to cornwall for a holiday, firstly i stopped at an asda store on the way down and was immediately challenged as they thought i was going to take residence on the carpark, then on arriving in cornwall , although i told them the size of the caravan and booked and paid for a double pitch, i was told they didnt like that style of caravan on their site, which was incredulous as it drew admiring glances from everyone who walked past and more so those that looked inside as it had a queen size bed in an end bedroom. Alas because of the cr@p surrounding travellers that we were subjected to for our choice of caravan, my ex wife decided we should sell it after that holiday, yet amongst our group of travellers irrespective of the boat we are travelling on everyone along the towpath give us a welcoming wave and we are encouraged to moor as we are seen as bringing ambience to an area along with trade, very much double standards i think.

Rick

Have a greenie :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I have been looking at Billing as our choice of mooring when we go liveaboard, due to its proximity to my work in Moulton (10 mins away by car). We are pretty much decided on Billing, even despite first overlooking it due to the stigma attached to the caravan park etc. I was being to doubt the choice again after the first few posts on here about thefts etc, but after reading more from residents, visitors etc I am assured again that it is a good choice. We visited and found it friendly and indeed very good for security. All in all I think I will certainly be mooring here in the new year, once we have our boat sorted.:)

-Em

My husband and I have been looking at Billing as our choice of mooring when we go liveaboard, due to its proximity to my work in Moulton (10 mins away by car). We are pretty much decided on Billing, even despite first overlooking it due to the stigma attached to the caravan park etc. I was being to doubt the choice again after the first few posts on here about thefts etc, but after reading more from residents, visitors etc I am assured again that it is a good choice. We visited and found it friendly and indeed very good for security. All in all I think I will certainly be mooring here in the new year, once we have our boat sorted.:)

-Em

:) I am sure that you will enjoy mooring at Billing as the boaters are a fabulous bunch of people, always willing to lend a hand adn the facilities are excellent :)I love the place and am counting off the days until I move, only 3 more months to go yippee!! lol.

I too was a bit wary about the site at first after listening to remarks from other boaters in my last marina, but I decided to pop down and have a look for myself, and after talking to other boaters and checking out the whole site, I decided that it was the right place for me :) Enjoy getting your boat sorted and your move in the New Year :rolleyes:

I was at Billing for 5 weeks last month and early part of this. I liked it a lot. Very tidy, all boaters I met were really nice and helpful. Well lit, picturesque setting. Very good road connections (I commuted to Nottingham every day), cheep electric. Lots of good dog walking opportunities, two good pubs, shops etc within 5min walk. What's not to like? I phoned the marina, and always got through. Found them very helpful. I wasn't there when the park was full, but it is far enough away that I don't think it would make a difference. Go and take a look, especially after dark when it looks really stunning. Noisy geese are your only worry . The sewage smell (slight) is only when there is a north easterly wind, so not common, or a problem IMO.

Pontoons are short if you have a 70ft boat. Wide beams moor at same rates as nb.

I'd happily moor there year round if I didn't work 70 miles away:)

Now in an equally nice marina much closer to work :)

Hi there, we have been afloat now since 2006, we have had all the dont go here, dont go there, but we did and never had a bit of bother. We had more hassle and grief living in houses. We are moving to Billing sometime in August, mooring picked out and deposit paid, so cant wait to meet new peeps, a stranger is only a friend you have not met yet. So lots of love to all the residents at Billing from the mackems. Ps i told you we would be pestering you Big Col even in cyberspace.

Hi there, we have been afloat now since 2006, we have had all the dont go here, dont go there, but we did and never had a bit of bother. We had more hassle and grief living in houses. We are moving to Billing sometime in August, mooring picked out and deposit paid, so cant wait to meet new peeps, a stranger is only a friend you have not met yet. So lots of love to all the residents at Billing from the mackems. Ps i told you we would be pestering you Big Col even in cyberspace.

:rolleyes: yippee!!! more wonderful, nice people to meet :rolleyes: I am sure there will be lots of offers of tea and cake when you arrive as well as any other help that you might need. ( p.s. I am not that good at making cuppas but my banana & walnut cake is a dream, so you lot make yer own cuppas and I will chuck you a cake lol )

I am sure that you will be very happy at Billing and have a fantastic time.

p.s.again erm... I will be the wacky woman with wild curly wurly hair, and thick silver ankle braclets,who wanders around singing a lot on the beautiful witchy green boat :rolleyes:

Me and the wife (MadMrsScience) had better get our deposit in quick for a mooring then, it seems they are going quickly!

Hi all

Wife and I had sorted a Marina(bit previous, as no boat yet!) but the "kids" went ballisic when we told them A), we were going to live on a boat, and B)

we were moving 1 1/2 hours North. So we may have to stay around the Northampton area. I was wondering if anyone has long termed at Billing Aquadrome, and would you be willing to give me the benifit of your experience!

Steve

:rolleyes: yippee!!! more wonderful, nice people to meet :rolleyes: I am sure there will be lots of offers of tea and cake when you arrive as well as any other help that you might need. ( p.s. I am not that good at making cuppas but my banana & walnut cake is a dream, so you lot make yer own cuppas and I will chuck you a cake lol )

I am sure that you will be very happy at Billing and have a fantastic time.

p.s.again erm... I will be the wacky woman with wild curly wurly hair, and thick silver ankle braclets,who wanders around singing a lot on the beautiful witchy green boat :rolleyes:

Hi again, sorry for all the same posts, i think my hubby got carried away!! I think we may have met you when we came to have a look at the marina. Are you the lady who works at the swimming complex? You will get on well with hubby cos he wanders around singing, humming or whistling lol. Ps i love cake and your banana and walnut cake sounds yummy, cant wait to try it.

Hi again, sorry for all the same posts, i think my hubby got carried away!! I think we may have met you when we came to have a look at the marina. Are you the lady who works at the swimming complex? You will get on well with hubby cos he wanders around singing, humming or whistling lol. Ps i love cake and your banana and walnut cake sounds yummy, cant wait to try it.

:) nope it wasnt me at the swimming complex, once folk meet me then erm... I dont know why lol, but I am not that easy to forget :blink: I think its the singing to and hugging trees LOL ;) a welcome cake will be baked for you both to enjoy :)

The only addition to the marina that would make it extra perfect for me would be a gym in the complex, but I was told that there is a gym just up the road and lots of walking and cycle routes for me to enjoy, so all in all, a very happy and excited tree :)

I dont know why lol, but I am not that easy to forget :blink: I think its the singing to and hugging trees LOL ;) a welcome cake will be baked for you both to enjoy :)

Haha looks like myself and the husband (TrampyJoe), will fit right in! We are rather odd, long haired types with a love of trees :D Just wish we could get a boat and move in this year rather than next! P.S. we also like cake hehe

Haha looks like myself and the husband (TrampyJoe), will fit right in! We are rather odd, long haired types with a love of trees :D Just wish we could get a boat and move in this year rather than next! P.S. we also like cake hehe

:) fellow tree lovers, perfick :) and to celebrate an extra walnut on top of a cake for you two :rolleyes: and dont worry it has taken me over 18yrs to finally get my boat and eventually get back on the 'cut' where I belong :) the time for you both will soon pass by and enjoy, as its so exciting searchign for that 'special' boat :)

Im a bit slow I have just read this one Kirra. I dont know what you are trying to prove. All I was saying is there is good and bad everywhere. Pleae dont think I have mainly met " Posh " ? people, I can assure you that all Police meet people over the years from absolutely every walk of life in such a variety of situations that you would find hard to comprehend. :cheers:

Dont worry a bit slow responding myself.

I am not trying too prove anything my life experience is my life experience and thats that and I wont ask you to try and understand that then rudely suggest you wont be able to understand me because its beyond your comprehension regardless of your work history!

Its good to read though that people are having positive experiences from using the Marina and I wish them well.

Edited by KirraMisha

:) nope it wasnt me at the swimming complex, once folk meet me then erm... I dont know why lol, but I am not that easy to forget :blink: I think its the singing to and hugging trees LOL ;) a welcome cake will be baked for you both to enjoy :)

The only addition to the marina that would make it extra perfect for me would be a gym in the complex, but I was told that there is a gym just up the road and lots of walking and cycle routes for me to enjoy, so all in all, a very happy and excited tree :)

Hi All,

Hope everyone is ok there and hope yous all get back to your boats safely very soon, it is quite scary we are on the river nene further down at Woodford and we were expecting a torrid of water to come down last night, everyone was taking precautions in case of!! Thinking of yous all and stay safe xxx :mellow:

Hi all

Wife and I had sorted a Marina(bit previous, as no boat yet!) but the "kids" went ballisic when we told them A), we were going to live on a boat, and B)

we were moving 1 1/2 hours North. So we may have to stay around the Northampton area. I was wondering if anyone has long termed at Billing Aquadrome, and would you be willing to give me the benifit of your experience!

Steve

we live on a boat at billing, its ok, you can moor for half the price in town but no parking and no fun days, get 4 free annual swimming passes and 2 fishing at billing, we like it, marina very secure but lack of maintenance, ive been in the drink twice, and wife broke her back at showers, other than that its ok