anyone moored at Billing ?

bodger

Featured Posts

I personally went to look around Billing Marina last September and I found all the staff helpful and friendly :) I was shown around and given lots of information about the site. I wandered around the marina and spoke to a few of the moorers and they had nothing but praise for the way that they are treated and looked after. I found it a very friendly place with a wonderful community atmosphere. Yes! I can imagine just how busy the park gets in the summer, with all the events and activities that go on, but it also has lots of open spaces with greenery and lakes. It might not be for everyone but then again we are all different. As for there being a large 'traveller' site nearby, its often a good idea not to judge everyone on the actions of a few. :) I have worked and do infact work now, with vulnerable and different ethnic groups of people and I know myself personally, how damaging any form of predudice can be.

While I value your comments tree about prejudice I consider prejudice to be born from ignorance.

However my opinion is not prejudice and not born from ignorance but rather experience.

The marina might be nice though!

Edited by KirraMisha

While I value your comments tree about prejudice I consider prejudice to be born from ignorance.

However my opinion is not prejudice and not born from ignorance but rather experience.

The marina might be nice though!

Then I would suggest that you keep within the bounderies of your experience,by your own admission you have no knowledge of Billing Marina but your reference to Pikeys (need I say more) at Billing would suggest that you have an in depth knowledge of Billing Marina. The marina is adjacent to Billing Aquadrome camping and caravan park not within it. Security on Billing Marina is probably one of the best in the country, putting aside that entry is only possible through one gate with a swipe card, the live-aboard moorers have created a super community spirit, they themselves police each and everyone's boats to the point that it would be possible to leave a boat open and it still be safe.So please keep your opinions factual as you do a disservice to all the moorers at Billing Marina

Regards Big Col

• Greenie 2

Then I would suggest that you keep within the bounderies of your experience,by your own admission you have no knowledge of Billing Marina but your reference to Pikeys (need I say more) at Billing would suggest that you have an in depth knowledge of Billing Marina. The marina is adjacent to Billing Aquadrome camping and caravan park not within it. Security on Billing Marina is probably one of the best in the country, putting aside that entry is only possible through one gate with a swipe card, the live-aboard moorers have created a super community spirit, they themselves police each and everyone's boats to the point that it would be possible to leave a boat open and it still be safe.So please keep your opinions factual as you do a disservice to all the moorers at Billing Marina

Regards Big Col

Your words mirror the impression we got when we left the boat there for a fortnight, I am glad someone has restored the balance, (I was beginning to question myself), I would not hesitate to leave the boat there again. Yes it is a holiday camp so there is some extra colour but we felt completely safe there. But do you know if there is restriction on being resident there for 12 months which may affect the OP?

Your words mirror the impression we got when we left the boat there for a fortnight, I am glad someone has restored the balance, (I was beginning to question myself), I would not hesitate to leave the boat there again. Yes it is a holiday camp so there is some extra colour but we felt completely safe there. But do you know if there is restriction on being resident there for 12 months which may affect the OP?

I think it has been said that it is 11 months of the year.

If I understand it correctly, if you are out cruising for two months in the summer does this cover it?

Martyn

Good answer, it has always looked good when I have visited events there.

I do take exception to just one comment though, the travellers site (is a long way off, agreed), but is a disgrace.As you travel along the A45 Nene Valley Way , with the leaves off the trees, you can see all the debris, junk, rubbish, black bags etc that they just chuck down the bank. It is not tidy in the least, health hazard and enviromental pollution are better descriptions.

However, as stated, it is quite a long way from Billing

• Greenie 1

My sister years ago, lived at Rectory Farm, all part of the 'Newtown' Northampton development. This must have been about 1976 'ish. They were one of the first residents there.

During visits to sis we often went to Billing Aquadrome for an afternoon. have seen this complex grow and grow to what it is now .

I have considered mooring there at sometime in the future, as it is a part of the system that I have not been to. A short time ago I was thinking of selling the boat and turning my back on all things canals but have talked myself out of it for the time being. Retirement is not too far away and who knows what might happen afterwards. Billing seems a good place to retire to with the option of long periods of cruising.

One thing I haven't still got my head round is, can you still live on your boat in the closed month if you have been away from site for, say, two months throughout the year?

Martyn

Can i have a greenie for that then?

Have another as well.

Martyn

My sister years ago, lived at Rectory Farm, all part of the 'Newtown' Northampton development. This must have been about 1976 'ish. They were one of the first residents there.

During visits to sis we often went to Billing Aquadrome for an afternoon. have seen this complex grow and grow to what it is now .

I have considered mooring there at sometime in the future, as it is a part of the system that I have not been to. A short time ago I was thinking of selling the boat and turning my back on all things canals but have talked myself out of it for the time being. Retirement is not too far away and who knows what might happen afterwards. Billing seems a good place to retire to with the option of long periods of cruising.

One thing I haven't still got my head round is, can you still live on your boat in the closed month if you have been away from site for, say, two months throughout the year?

Martyn

Have another as well.

Martyn

Yes you CAN live on your boat in the 'closed period' however the park is closed so all the shops etc on the 'park' are also closed. However you can still get all your needs met in the vicinity of the Marina, Bp Garage, Chinese Restuarant, Garden Village and all its shops are open, Co Op with in walking distance.

Walking round the Park during the closed period is very surreal as there is only the security driving round,

Good answer, it has always looked good when I have visited events there.

I do take exception to just one comment though, the travellers site (is a long way off, agreed), but is a disgrace.As you travel along the A45 Nene Valley Way , with the leaves off the trees, you can see all the debris, junk, rubbish, black bags etc that they just chuck down the bank. It is not tidy in the least, health hazard and enviromental pollution are better descriptions.

However, as stated, it is quite a long way from Billing

The Travellers site i am referring to is near Grendon which is about 3 miles Matty? is this the same one? it is down a country lane surrounded by a very ornate wall and big gates, so maybe we have our wires crossed somewhere :blush:

as regards the A45 with rubbish down the bank,I not sure which part you mean but I would like to have a look and I will ring the council and tell them about it if I can give them a definite pinpoint of where it is.. Sue :cheers:

Thanks.

Still not put off.

Martyn

good , well as a resident here may I say you are more than welcome to come and have a look!! Go in the office and ask for Colin the harbourmaster and he will gladly show you around..

Regards Big Col

Thank you for your suggestion Big Col I am sure you mean well!

To suggest a marina with security is immune to crime is very nieve or would you disagree?

An oasis surounded by some of the UK's hardest criminal pikeys oh what a lovley place to go and live! :rolleyes:

Why is the security one of the best Big Col?

Hmmm I wonder why?? La la laaaa.

On a PC note Pikeys and Travellers are very very different people but ignorance is bliss as the saying goes (need I say more)

These guys will knock coppers out who have come to deal with reports of crime and walk off laughing, and its no secret.

Happy days.

Edited by KirraMisha

KirraMisha

In recent posts, from those I believe know the area well, it has been said that the 'pikeys', as you refer to them, are about three miles away, not adjacent to the marina as you have indicated.

I believe I am fairly safe in saying that we all live in areas where people such as you describe can live stay and are open to their potential abuse. Do you not live within travelling distance of such a campsite?

KirraMisha

In recent posts, from those I believe know the area well, it has been said that the 'pikeys', as you refer to them, are about three miles away, not adjacent to the marina as you have indicated.

I believe I am fairly safe in saying that we all live in areas where people such as you describe can live stay and are open to their potential abuse. Do you not live within travelling distance of such a campsite?

I was replying to Big Col who implied my opinion was inbalanced and prejudice without cause.

While in one respect you are right, I dont live anywhere near nor would I be happy to live near a large community of criminals who have no fear of the law and prowl for anything they can weigh in or steal.

I would'nt like to drink in local bars where they went either because of what I have seen and experienced.

Its my opinon and I dont expect anyone else to like it or agree with it.

I just would'nt live there anymore I grew up in the area.

Cheers.

I was replying to Big Col who implied my opinion was inbalanced and prejudice without cause.

While in one respect you are right, I dont live anywhere near nor would I be happy to live near a large community of criminals who have no fear of the law and prowl for anything they can weigh in or steal.

I would'nt like to drink in local bars where they went either because of what I have seen and experienced.

Its my opinon and I dont expect anyone else to like it or agree with it.

I just would'nt live there anymore I grew up in the area.

Cheers.

oh I was not aware that the whole criminal fraternity lived in Northampton!! Maybe my last 11 years of working for another police force was a figment of my imagination then :-)

There is a petrol station near Billing and I often see and speak to a Lady Traveller there and I have to say she is one of the nicest people I have met,your sentence above indicates that the whole site is involved in criminality,

Of course there are no thieves on the housing estates just the travellers site, :rolleyes:

I haven't been there but was considering a move there myself (non- existent customer service response to my mooring enquiries put me off!) but from people who are moored there, I have only heard good things.

ilovemynarrowboat (forum member) is moored there and she alsoloveshermarina from what I can gather!

(Ps, apparently there's lots of cats there, which would have been an advantage to me but maybe a problem for some!)

Hi Star

there are a five cats on the Marina that I know of, but are outnumbered by dogs :-)

maybe i should change my user name to ilovemynarrowboatandthemarina !!! lol it would be a mouthful on the 'chat' though :cheers:

try again, and thankyou!!

I have filled in a form online, watch this space, I did also add that I would be more than happy to help if they provide the protective clothing and the rubbish bags.