Living Afloat in Islington/hackney

Ruby prince regent

Featured Posts

Helllo,

My boyfriend and I planning to live in our tiny narrow boat on the Regents canal between Hackney and Islington. We have no mooring so would be moving every two weeks...I just want to know the ins and outs of this?

How overcrownd is the canal in that area? I know it is popular but will we struggle to find (and retain places if we leave for water etc>)?

How enforced is the two weeks rule?

How many water, rubblish etc points are there?

And anything else that you think would be useful to know

Thank you so much

PS. Anyone else based there who wants nice new friendly neighbours? :cheers:

Welcome to the forum

Let me grab my comfy chair, beer and popcorn :rolleyes:

Hope you got the catering size packs...........

welcome to the Forum, I do hope you are not planning to do this before September as your extensive cruising patterns may be forshortened by a small hop skip and jump event in the Upper Stratford/Lower Hackney region.

Move up a bit idleness, and pass the popcorn.

Martyn

Ih! Welcome to the forum your majesty.

P'raps its the royal barge, ready already....

And it's Will and Kate moving on board....wonder if they will get special cruising dispensation through the barbed wire and minefields on Ducketts..

Hi Ruby,

forget it, that's a busy area with a well enforced overstaying rule. You won't be travelling far enough to be a continuous cruiser anyway so you'll be continuously in trouble with BW

Apart from that, because it is popular, moorings are hard to find

Richard

Ruby,

Let me quote part of the Court Order in the case of British Waterways (the Claimant) and Paul Davies (the Defendent), (who did more or less what you are proposing to do on a 10 mile section of the Kennet and Avon Canal):

IT IS ORDERED THAT:

1. It be and is hereby declared that the defendant's use of the craft

"Biddy" index number 60465 has at all material times been as his home and

that his limited and periodic movement of the craft over short distances on

the canal do not constitute bona fide use for navigation for the purposes of

obtaining a licence to use the said craft, and that, unless permission in

writing be granted by the claimant to keep, use or moor the craft on the

waterways controlled by the claimant by 30th June 2011, the claimant be

entitled thereafter to remove it pursuant to its statutory powers.

2. On and after 1st July 2011 the defendant, whether by himself or his

agent or otherwise, be restrained from keeping, using or mooring his craft

"Biddy" on any part of the waterways controlled by the claimant, without

the permission in writing of the claimant.

The BW guidance on moorings, with specific reference to "continuous cruisers" (boats without a home mooring), as amended after the Davies case, is here.

David

Helllo,

My boyfriend and I planning to live in our tiny narrow boat on the Regents canal between Hackney and Islington. We have no mooring so would be moving every two weeks...I just want to know the ins and outs of this?

How overcrownd is the canal in that area? I know it is popular but will we struggle to find (and retain places if we leave for water etc>)?

Thank you so much

Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings? Oh dear - I think not

Ruby - please don't take your love to town (Well - - not Regents Canal anyway)

Helllo,

Thank you so much

Get in touch with the London boaters group, they will give you guidance and help for that area. Also look at making your cruising pattern substantially larger.

Moving every other weekend is not for everyone. You may have to move more often if you need water and elsan facilities. This really eats into your time. You are also supposed to move on a continuous journey, not returning frequently to the same place. If you really want this lifestyle try the northern canals, where it's less crowded.

Sue

Helllo,

Thank you so much

Surely this is a troll/

Welcome to the forum

Let me grab my comfy chair, beer and popcorn :rolleyes:

Troll alert? Or am I a hard bitten cynic. Pass the popcorn please and something stronger than a beer.

BTW, there's new enforcement officers in London town and there's more of them as of this week and they're keen :D

D

edit: Someone beat me to the troll alert!

Edited by debbifiggy

So, you fully intend NOT to actually cruise, as in the guidance issued by BW for baots with no mooring, but to remain in a very short section of canal, blatantly flouting that guidance, and you also want to know how likely it is that you will be able to get away with not only bridge hopping every 2 weeks, but a bit of overstaying as well?

And you think that other boaters should offer you helpful advice on doing this on an already overcrowded bit of the system that will consequently become a little bit more overcrowded and less accessible to them if they choose to visit.

You should decide NOW, either to get a mooring, to continuously cruise in accordance with the guidelines, or to change your plans for living aboard.

In the spirit of being fair Dave (advocate for all boaters) It may be the case that the OP genuinely doesn’t realise how contentious this issue can be and is unsure of how things should work. Their first port of call was to ask the questions, thus outing their intentions. Devious? no, ignorant (in the true sense) yes. Let's help them like a good possible future council rep should eh?

Ruby, as others have said, if you want to be around town then you should either get a mooring or increase the range of your cruising to include London sometimes. Use the search facility and type in continuously cruising, there is plenty to give you an idea. Don't be put off; always best to ask first in my opinion.

• Greenie 1

In the spirit of being fair Dave (advocate for all boaters) It may be the case that the OP genuinely doesn't realise how contentious this issue can be and is unsure of how things should work. Their first port of call was to ask the questions, thus outing their intentions. Devious? no, ignorant (in the true sense) yes. Let's help them like a good possible future council rep should eh?

I am inclined to the post was a deliberate troll.

Edited by mayalld

Well there is a boat (a springer) with the name Prince Regent, which on it's own perhaps doesn't mean a huge amount....apart from the OP describes her boat as a 'tiny' NB and the boat in question (on Jim Shead) is a 36ft Springer...

I am inclined to the post was a deliberate troll.

As you will, I prefer to beleive that somebody is genuine until proven otherwise. It makes me happy. Out of interest, if you are successful in your quest for a place on the steering group how will you decide which questions to answer politely or not?

It is very simple Ruby. You hand over around £5,000 every year and you can moor permanently for as long as you like all year round without ever moving - on a mooring belonging to the person you gave the £5,000 to. That is the way things are generally done here in London!

It is very simple Ruby. You hand over around £5,000 every year and you can moor permanently for as long as you like all year round without ever moving - on a mooring belonging to the person you gave the £5,000 to. That is the way things are generally done here in London!

Fantastic!

Are you saying that there is no longer any problems with CM'ers and everyone now has a mooring in the London area?

I think I would give Ruby the benefit of the doubt that it is a genuine question posted on a Canal Forum. Not quite sure why the answers in some cases have to be quite so aggressive!!

Ruby if you do as planned you might well find yourself hounded by BW, you need to increase your cruising area, also remember that this year is the Olympics so moorings will be hard to find and I think most are charged at a high premium. If you do as planned you will certainly not be on your own and plenty of other boaters in that area will be able to advise you why your idea is going to be very difficult.

By law British Waterways can't restrict numbers, so because it's popular, (put it this way, you're not alone in having the idea), because there's a housing shortage and because we can't stretch the canal, it's very busy. You will have to raft up in certain locations.

I wouldn't plan on ignoring it. Just be aware that I know boaters that have done and they got a shock when they came to renew - extra £600 on the next license bill for overstaying. Patrol officers will come and check the location of your boat on a regular basis and record it on their handheld computers. Also bear in mind that on some of the central London visitor moorings, you can only moor for 7 days in any one calendar year. Camden is one of these and I'm certain that Islington is one as well.

If you have never boated before then don't expect to be able to move in half an hour. It's not like driving or even walking. To go from Camden to Kings Cross is only a mile and a bit but would take you an hour and a half by boat at least. There is nothing more frustrating than boating for hours only to find the spot where you wished to moor is full and knowing that the next mooring spot is a few locks away, so it's not unusual for the moving and doing your boat chores of a weekend to take up most of a day.

How many water, rubbish etc points are there?
Not that many, read this.

My link they are oversubscribed, it was never intended that they'd be needed for so many boaters. The one that I have to use is filthy and often broken, you have to walk through raw sewage to use it. Taps don't always work, especially during and after cold weather.

British Waterways is about to become the canal and river trust. Personally (and this is MY opinon), I'm not sure I'd want to become a ccer in London right now with this change going on, the rules and regulations *might* change to make it more difficult.

In a nutshell if you don't feel you can move around (and by moving around I don't mean from Islington to Hackney), then you will need to rethink your ideas.

ETA you ought to contact BW as there will be no mooring permitted in most of central London for 3 months this summer, unless prebooked and paid for. You will probably find you have to leave hip and trendy Hackney for not so cool and quite unsexy Tottenham.

Read this

Finally (I keep editing as I think of more!) London Boaters website My link

Edited by Lady Muck

My advice would be go and talk to the boaters already there and get in touch with the London Boaters. You won't get owt on this forum but approbation and the snarls of the pack.

Hmm I disagree a little :captain: two posters on this 'ere thread have cc'ed in London and one is currently doing so. Two of us have moorings in London but we cruise through the areas the OP is planning to moor in. We formed our opinions from boating in the capital, not from what we've read on here. (at least I hope so!)

Plus I'm sure some other London ccers will be along in a bit with their opinion. To the OP - the Twitter hashtag is quite useful for meeting other #londonboaters

It may be the case that the OP genuinely doesn’t realise how contentious this issue can be and is unsure of how things should work

Totally agree, in this case I don't think the op is trolling, I've had a very similar conversation with a friend who wants to live afloat, only this week and she isn't the first. I think because we know the canals so well and because many of us have studied the BW regs in depth, we assume that noobs must at least know a little bit. Not necessarily the case at all. :cheers:

Edited by Lady Muck