Cc leaving boat.

Wishihadaname

Featured Posts

Does anyone live aboard and cc but leave the boat moored for say long weekends fairly regular on the towpath? Is ot safe to do so?

Many people do. I have left mine in all sorts of places over many years without problem. Of course you can be unlucky but house burglaries are far more prevelant than boat break ins. :cheers:

Did it last week (only two days) no problem.

I know one couple that are away a lot and in the years they have been onboard not had a problem.

Just pick your spot and not make it too obvious that you will be away for a long time.

Unlike some, it is difficult to tell whether we are onboard or not.

Our boat is our home and just like our previous house we leave it.

mrsmelly last sentience sums it up. (Much as it pains me to agree with him B))

When I was moving our boat around the country, I regularly left it on the towpath for up to two weeks. Wherever possible I arranged to leave it where there was some supervision, eg, an empty space in Prermitted moorings where the occupant was away and had given consent, but most of the time proximuirty to a Railway Station or Bus stop was the priority.

I do it regularly, and so far (touch wood) no problems. You seem to get a 'feel' for places over time (same with leaving a car). I like to moor for a day and see who walks past. Also within view of a house is nice. Look whether graffiti, litter etc. I also won't leave the boat on pins unless I absolutely have to.

Richard

When we first bought our boat we had a six month period before we moved aboard while we were both still working in Kent. We went to the boat every two weeks and spent the weekend moving it a bit further down South (we bought it from Harrals in Northwich). This meant we got used to leaving it on the towpath for two weeks at a time - I hated it at first but we got used to it after a while.

Safety in numbers is always good, when we did leave the boat completely on its own it was in the middle of nowhere. Basically it's down to common sense and a certain amount of luck - we've been very lucky, or should I say we've not been unlucky (touches wood fervently!)

When we first bought our boat we had a six month period before we moved aboard while we were both still working in Kent. We went to the boat every two weeks and spent the weekend moving it a bit further down South (we bought it from Harrals in Northwich). This meant we got used to leaving it on the towpath for two weeks at a time - I hated it at first but we got used to it after a while.

Safety in numbers is always good, when we did leave the boat completely on its own it was in the middle of nowhere. Basically it's down to common sense and a certain amount of luck - we've been very lucky, or should I say we've not been unlucky (touches wood fervently!)

Apart from your Corsa!

Apart from your Corsa!

Ah yes, leaving the car parked in unknown places for a while at a time has been far more hazardous! Arriving to pick it up and finding the back window smashed in wasn't funny

Does anyone live aboard and cc but leave the boat moored for say long weekends fairly regular on the towpath? Is ot safe to do so?

Of course, as long as you are sensible where you leave it. Many boats are left on towpath moorings for up to 14 days (legally), or longer, without problem. And many boats have home moorings on the towpath or other publicly accessible places.

David